Canada Kicks Ass
Alberta Election

1  2  3  4  5 ... 19  Next

Yogi @ Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:06 am

The writ has been dropped, and we are heading to the polls on April 23rd.

Based on past performances as well as party platforms, which party will you be voting for? Why?

At dissolution, the Tories held 67 of the legislature's 83 seats, the Liberals had eight, the Wildrose four, the NDP 2 and the Alberta party one. There was one Independent.

The PC's have been in office for almost 40 years, and have openly adopted and practice a real " Who gives a shit about the Peons? I'm in it for the $$$, the perks, the prestige & the golden handshake/pension" attitude.
You will also note that Ms. Redford made noises to 'rework' the complete MLA pension/perk/severance package, ( as soon as she announced this, several of her cohorts 'announced' their retirement. Coincidence???) but 'Ali Baba & her 40 thieves' wisely put that off until after the election. They just must be really, really busy running the province! She also lacks the intestinal fortitude and/or simple willingness to take a firm stance within her own party and call to account all those MLA's who were paid thousands of $$$ for 'do-nothing committees'.Being surrounded by the PC's is akin to having been floundering in a sewage lagoon.

Danielle Smith, and the Wildrose Party are tossing us a life preserver!
I feel like I'll finally be able to grab a breath of fresh air!
What really got my attention about WRP is the fact that they want to keep more of our oil revenues in Alberta/Canada. Rather than shipping our bitumen, and jobs, to the U.S. WRP wants existing oil refineries in Eastern Canada refitted, and have the bitumen shipped there through existing pipelines. I really do see the WRP as hope for positive change.

What do I see happening?
The PC's are going to lose a few seats I'm just not sure how many golden parachutes will be handed out!
The WRP is going to be the Official Opposition in Alberta. If they 'stay the course' their future as leading party will be affirmed in 2016.

I also see the PC's holding a leadership review soon after the election, and Ms. Redford will also strap on a golden parachute, and land safely in the private sector!

As far as the Libs go, with Raj Sherman at the helm, they don't stand a hope in hell of ever being taken seriously. I actually thought at one time that as a PC, Mr. Sherman would have been an excellent chioce for party leader. That was until he couldn't/wouldn't/refused to back his allegations. He is where he belongs today, and will never be able to do us any harm!

NDP-Greens-Libs- why are we even wasting $$$ and air time!

Unsound @ Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:11 am

Personally I'm hoping the Alberta Party turns into something. No idea who I'll end up voting for though. I'll wait and hope that the campaign actually means something and convinces me to support someone rather than just voting out of a sense of duty.

How do you reconcile the WRP's supposed right-wing market driven ideology with what you say is an intent to force oil producers to keep more of the revenues here, even if that isn't the smartest move in a business sense?

edit: Just remembered the Pirate party. If they have a candidate in my area I think I will be obligated to vote for him/her. As a devout pastafarian I belileve I would be obligated.

Dragon-Dancer @ Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:36 am

Not that it will matter in the end as usual but I'll probably vote NDP. I've always liked Mason, he's a fairly straight faced and well spoken leader.

WRP = Cons by a different name... no real positive change to be had there.
PC = kick the bums out, they've had a long enough kick at the can.
Every body else doesn't really stand a hope of getting anywhere, not sure if the NDP does either but I'm willing to give them some support.

DrCaleb @ Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:03 am

It all depends on the candidates in my riding. The conservative is an OK guy, but we'll see who the others put against him.

Yogi @ Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:36 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
It all depends on the candidates in my riding. The conservative is an OK guy, but we'll see who the others put against him.

I just see ALL PC MLA's as 'tentacles' of the pus-filled head. Time to lance that big boil!

Unsound @ Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:44 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Which riding? I just moved so I'm noy even sure yet who my MLA is. I think it's Tomas Lukaszak, but not sure.

DrCaleb @ Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:01 pm

Unsound Unsound:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Which riding? I just moved so I'm noy even sure yet who my MLA is. I think it's Tomas Lukaszak, but not sure.

Spruce Grove, Sturgeon, St. Albert. Doug Horner incumbent.

bootlegga @ Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:36 pm

I'll be voting PC - I like Alison Redford and think Smith is a dolt. There's no way in hell I'll ever vote WRA - I'm a red Tory at heart and their policy platform is too far right for me.

bootlegga @ Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:38 pm

Unsound Unsound:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

FYI, Lukaszak is the MLA for Edmonton CastleDowns.

FieryVulpine @ Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:54 pm

My MLA is Bridgette Pastoor, Lethbridge East the one who infamously crossed to the floor to the PCs. Don't know if I will vote for her. She's friendly enough (I used to work in the building where her riding office is) but methinks the PCs are starting to smell like rotting fish after 40 years in power.

SprCForr @ Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:58 pm

Got your poll in.

Cheers.

Yogi @ Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:13 pm

SprCForr SprCForr:
Got your poll in.

Cheers.

Thanks Boss. Much appreciated. [B-o]

DrCaleb @ Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:39 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
I'll be voting PC - I like Alison Redford and think Smith is a dolt. There's no way in hell I'll ever vote WRA - I'm a red Tory at heart and their policy platform is too far right for me.

I'd 'do' Smith (because she's a hottie), but that's not enough reason to vote for her. Besides, I never vote along party lines, I vote based on who represents me best.

Mr. Horner is a decent guy. I liked the way he carried himself during the leadership race. A class act.

He grew up around here, and his dad was a well known local Doctor, and both are well respected in the community. WR or the NDP or the Liberals might put a better candidate out, but so far it's not looking good.

Dragon-Dancer @ Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:45 pm

I can never vote for the candidate in fed or prov elections because the reality is that the party calls the shots in the current system and the individual doesn't seem to account for much beyond what the leader wants.

Unsound @ Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:03 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
Unsound Unsound:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

FYI, Lukaszak is the MLA for Edmonton CastleDowns.

That's my guy then. I live in Dunluce.

The poll needs another option. "I'm not sure yet." I'll be making up my mind as the campaign goes on. That is the point of having the campaign, right?

In the past I've usually voted for the party rather than the candidate for the reason Dragon-Dancer gives. The one exception being when I lived in Calder and voted for the NDP candidate David Eggen. Because he was a really good MLA, even if he was NDP.

1  2  3  4  5 ... 19  Next