Canada Kicks Ass
Alberta Help Wanted

1  2  3  4  5  Next

Banff @ Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:59 am

Help wanted appears to be a never ending story in Alberta and it is now bigger than ever . The Oil boom is going to expand to a rate which is going to call for 24,00 0 immigrants over the current 16,000. Employees are hard keep because there is so much growth and wages and offers are likely going to be in favor of the employees , sign on bonuses and numerous other financial advantages. Warning I am not promoting alberta because before you jump at it whether Canadian or Immigrant the land and taxes and cost of living WILL disappoint you "that is a promise" You will be paying for the privelege of getting a job there . Think before you take the leap because it won't be good for everybody .

Banff @ Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:24 pm

:D I guess nobody was interested in my small axe chop at Alberta ...at least I didn't go into any great detail at how bad "I think " it really is. :D

...oh well sa la vie

ziggy @ Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:34 pm

Got my bud from Newcastle a job on the pipeline in 3 hills,after he stopped bitching about the price of a room$82.00/night,I told him to do what all the newfies do and live in your vehicle and pocket the Subsistence pay,now he's living in his van. :lol: When the corn gets ripe....find a cornfield to camp at. :lol: Im still rained out here as is most of central and southern Alberta but he phones me every morning to come up there as they have machinery sitting without operators. Too many rain days and guys just go somewhere else leaving lots of vacancy's.

They sell Arctic fox rv's here,there insulated for winter and that's what lots of folks that come here to work are living in.

See their advertising $14.00/hr to flip burgers at Mc donalds in fort mac. 8O

Banff @ Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:10 pm

Exactly

apply the $14.00 to cost of livng and you got nothing . I love Alberta and would like to go back home but this Harper/Ottawa crap needs to start regulating a few things. Advise to blow the fucking shit out of our 30 million population and increase it to 100 million over night ....stop the land flipping realestate freak show and impossible land taxes . It shouldn't be worth more than the paper its printed on . Sure it would interfere with Volker Steven and infastructure roads,elctricity,sewage, and gas lines but holy crap ! enough is enough even the Queen doesn't seem to think Canada has ethics regarding the ability for canadians to prosper . People in Alberta shake their head constantly in disbelief at the insanity of deregulations . There should be a sign outside of the alberta borders which read . "BE CAREFUL WHERE YOU MOVE TO BECAUSE WELCOME TO CANADAS SILICONE VALLEY WHERE THE UNION WORKERS ARE FORCED TO EAT AT SOUP KITCHENS "

ziggy @ Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:21 pm

Banff Banff:
Exactly

apply the $14.00 to cost of livng and you got nothing . I love Alberta and would like to go back home but this Harper/Ottawa crap needs to start regulating a few things. Advise to blow the fucking shit out of our 30 million population and increase it to 100 million over night ....stop the land flipping realestate freak show and impossible land taxes . It shouldn't be worth more than the paper its printed on . Sure it would interfere with Volker Steven and infastructure roads,elctricity,sewage, and gas lines but holy crap ! enough is enough even the Queen doesn't seem to think Canada has ethics regarding the ability for canadians to prosper . People in Alberta shake their head constantly in disbelief at the insanity of deregulations . There should be a sign outside of the alberta borders which read . "BE CAREFUL WHERE YOU MOVE TO BECAUSE WELCOME TO CANADAS SILICONE VALLEY WHERE THE UNION WORKERS ARE FORCED TO EAT AT SOUP KITCHENS "

If you want to live in the big city you pay the bucks,lots of small towns were you can buy a house fairly cheaply(other then around fort mac) it just means a longer commute.
Volker Stevens sucks,if you work for them then I feel your pain.

Deregulation also sucks,dont know much about the economics of it but I know my gas and power bills went through the roof.

Alberta isnt much of a union province,that's why I like it,after 22 years under one in BC Im glad I'm back home and dont have to worry about some slacker with seniority taking my job in the down times.

I make twice as much now as I made working union,money in my pocket and not some beauracrat in the head office in the states. :wink:

Banff @ Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:31 pm

ziggy ziggy:
Banff Banff:
Exactly

If you want to live in the big city you pay the bucks,lots of small towns were you can buy a house fairly cheaply(other then around fort mac) it just means a longer commute.
Volker Stevens sucks,if you work for them then I feel your pain.

Deregulation also sucks,dont know much about the economics of it but I know my gas and power bills went through the roof.

Alberta isnt much of a union province,that's why I like it,after 22 years under one in BC Im glad I'm back home and dont have to worry about some slacker with seniority taking my job in the down times.

I make twice as much now as I made working union,money in my pocket and not some beauracrat in the head office in the states. :wink:

all good points Zig and at least we both agree on the reregulations . Its just insane in Alberta and one really does have to look hard to find something decent . I looked at Stavely and in and around Glenwood but chose somewhere else in the end . West coast might be worse though .

ziggy @ Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:39 pm

Those little farm towns every ten miles have some nice cheap house's in them. Most buyers just drive right by to the bigger places. Houses in some of those little towns can be had for $70,000 but it seems most folks are more interested in how much there house will be worth in a few years instead of getting a cheap home. Lots of land also available in some rural areas,Its a big province with lots of land(except fort mac)there's still deals to be had.

danikyvor @ Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:45 pm

Yes, Fort McMurray is always the exception, it's a black hole, it really is. It defies everything. Disappears from the radar most times, except when people want to know about new oil discoveries or what not.

14 bucks an hour at Mickey D's? Well at least that hasnt changed in 5 years. lol That was the going rate when I was still in town, working at Staples.

Banff @ Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:50 pm

ziggy ziggy:
Those little farm towns every ten miles have some nice cheap house's in them. Most buyers just drive right by to the bigger places. Houses in some of those little towns can be had for $70,000 but it seems most folks are more interested in how much there house will be worth in a few years instead of getting a cheap home. Lots of land also available in some rural areas,Its a big province with lots of land(except fort mac)there's still deals to be had.

Stavely would be perfect but I ended up going 400 kms east of there . Where I am is good for the kids and family because we are so close to everything except for my work. Stavely would cure both problems but even that is growing fast and getting expensive (slowly but surely) Stavely is becoming surrounded by estate developments . I scoured the southen province looking for a deal . Glenwood is really nice because it is so close to Waterton Park but only has an icecream shop and cheese factory .Stavely gives the best of both worlds Calgary and Waterton ....later , have to get ready for work .

ziggy @ Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:58 pm

Banff Banff:
ziggy ziggy:

Stavely would be perfect but I ended up going 400 kms east of there . Where I am is good for the kids and family because we are so close to everything except for my work. Stavely would cure both problems but even that is growing fast and getting expensive (slowly but surely) Stavely is becoming surrounded by estate developments . I scoured the southen province looking for a deal . Glenwood is really nice because it is so close to Waterton Park but only has an icecream shop and cheese factory .Stavely gives the best of both worlds Calgary and Waterton . Claresholm is just a little to far off the beaten track .

I drive by Glenwood on the way to work,I know everybody(allmost) in that neck of the woods. I like the "cheese museum" at Glenwood,getting too close to Cardston though,no place to get a brewskie within an hours drive.
Is Glenwood still a dry town like everything south of it?

ziggy @ Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:29 pm

dimoreien dimoreien:
Yes, Fort McMurray is always the exception, it's a black hole, it really is. It defies everything. Disappears from the radar most times, except when people want to know about new oil discoveries or what not.

14 bucks an hour at Mickey D's? Well at least that hasnt changed in 5 years. lol That was the going rate when I was still in town, working at Staples.
5 years ago they were offering $20.00/hr in Grande Prarie at rotten Ronnies.

Anyone looking for work?I have lots of contacts. With all the rain lately there's lots of seats available.

Perfect for those kids that have turned 18 and need a dose of reality.
As a proud Canadian and Albertan I have no problem sharing the prosperity that comes from hard work here in Alberta.

I also have no problem setting someone up in the patch,granted it's not easy work so slackers need not apply as you will get run off lickety split.

PM me for phone numbers of the HR guys that do the hiring if anyone's interested.

:wink:

I've posted this request before and only got 2 replys and those guys are working right now.

Their making about $8000.00/month clear and very happy.

danikyvor @ Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:00 pm

Don't tempt me, I'm trying to convince my husband to move back but we'll see what he thinks of the place when we come home this summer lol

LIA2006 @ Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:32 pm

The cost of housing in this blasted province is staggering.

Watching Global news last night, the average cost of a home in Calgary is rising.... $500,000 for a bungalow?? WTF??!!

In Edmonton it is no better.

Driving to Edmonton a month ago to visit family and passing through Airdrie, you see a huge trailer/RV park crammed full... those are people who are waiting for their homes to be built. It's better than paying thousands of dollars to rent an apartment.

Alberta is not an oasis in the desert. Always remember too... what goes up must come down. We won't stay rich forever!!

ziggy @ Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:36 pm

LIA2006 LIA2006:
The cost of housing in this blasted province is staggering.

Watching Global news last night, the average cost of a home in Calgary is rising.... $500,000 for a bungalow?? WTF??!!

In Edmonton it is no better.

Driving to Edmonton a month ago to visit family and passing through Airdrie, you see a huge trailer/RV park crammed full... those are people who are waiting for their homes to be built. It's better than paying thousands of dollars to rent an apartment.

Alberta is not an oasis in the desert. Always remember too... what goes up must come down. We won't stay rich forever!!

Still some cheap houses if you dont mind the small town lifestyle and a commute.

Right now most campgrounds are full of pipeliners and patch workers,spent the last 2 years living in campgrounds. 8O Probably spend the rest of this year to if it ever stops raining. :?

PJB @ Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:53 pm

Alberta's boom is going to peak very soon unless the labour shortage gets addressed. Unfortunately I am too old to go work the rigs but I would love the 8 grand a month.

1  2  3  4  5  Next