Canada Kicks Ass
Mounties Shot-Robison Arrested

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Yogi @ Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:49 pm

andyt andyt:
That would mean the cops were carrying their shotguns and so were expecting trouble. In that case you'd think they would surround the house, not go inside - as they did later on.

They must think Robison shot at least one officer to charge him with attempted murder.

Regina - time to up the meds. Or cut back, whatever.

Add the fact that there had been a 'domestic disturbance' at **edit a neighbors house*** a few days earlier in the week where death threats were heard to be made against an individual living over near Hardisty, I would think that the RCMP would most certainly have approached the house at least 'prepared for if not expecting' trouble. sawyer clarke is not suspected of killing anyone, but is charged with two counts of attempted murder. This does not necessarily mean that he actually fired any shots, only that he was 'a party to the shootings'.

BartSimpson @ Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:51 pm

Yogi Yogi:
Add the fact that there had been a 'domestic disturbance' at this house a few days earlier in the week where death threats were heard to be made against an individual living over near Hardisty,

That's a story going around. I'd not be so hasty to call it a 'fact'.

Yogi @ Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:58 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Yogi Yogi:
Add the fact that there had been a 'domestic disturbance' at this house a few days earlier in the week where death threats were heard to be made against an individual living over near Hardisty,

That's a story going around. I'd not be so hasty to call it a 'fact'.

It's much more than 'just a story' Bart. And yes, the Mounties were obligated by Canadian law to be there as they had every reason to believe that there was in fact an illegal 45 cal handgun in the residence.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/CanadaAM/2012 ... ot-120208/

Regina @ Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:57 pm

andyt andyt:
Regina - time to up the meds. Or cut back, whatever.

:lol:

BartSimpson @ Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:20 pm

Yogi Yogi:
It's much more than 'just a story' Bart. And yes, the Mounties were obligated by Canadian law to be there as they had every reason to believe that there was in fact an illegal 45 cal handgun in the residence.

Mohandas Gandhi Mohandas Gandhi:
An unjust law is itself a species of violence. Arrest for its breach is more so.

As I understand your laws a legally owned handgun can become an illegally owned handgun just because the RCMP says it is. No court oversight is required.

That said, it would be of no surprise to me if Mr. Robison's first inkling that he had an 'illegal. handgun was when the RCMP entered his home demanding that he turn it over.

Arbitrarily making criminals out of people whose neighbors don't see them as a problem is an act of tyranny in the classical sense. Thus the Gandhi quote.

Benn @ Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:29 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Long and short: The cops had no business being there.

Even if they were right this bunch of cops were not prepared for what happened and I'm still of a mind that they directly contributed to what happened.

Cops in places with strict gun controls tend to have a predilection to going off the reservation when a citizen has gun...even legally...and they get very heavy handed. Given the plethora of conflicting stories coming out of the RCMP it smells like they f*cked up and now they're going after Robison as if he were the reincarnation of John Dillenger when the people the man knows think more of him as a John Denver type.

If Robison truly is the monster the RCMP are trying to paint him as then why did they go out so poorly prepared to deal with what they're now portraying as a Canadian Rambo?

Because the portrayal of the man is BS. That's why. They showed up and went nuclear and this guy is now in fear for his life. And he should be. If he turns himself in at a TV station he *might* survive this, but if the cops get him first he will either be shot on sight or he'll die in custody to make sure his side of the story doesn't end up competing with the official story.

I know your laws do not allow for it, but in the USA there's a decent chance that Robison would be able to mount a self-defense argument in court against the attempted murder charges.

I got to get me one of those crystal balls of yours that tells all, even all the stuff not even alluded to in any stories out there.

Here is the long and short of it, I'm sure the cops never went over there for no good reason and even if they did shooting them is still wrong. If this shit rat (aka "Nice Boy" as the WPG Free Press headline said today) who is on the run really is scared of cops because they bust in and started shooting his uncle / friend / whoever then you'd turn yourself in at a TV station or lawyers. We'll wait for the story that comes out once he's found and trail etc. Its the best we'll have to go on. If it turns out he was in the right then I'll take back the shit rat label, until then, shit rat!

Benn @ Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:40 pm

"'Good kid' sought in Mountie shooting" Should read "Sh@t Rat"

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada ... 97424.html

Neighbor just had coffee with him the other day, he's a humble photographer who takes good pictures, obviously his running with a weapon after two cops were shot was just him being misunderstood.

It's hilarious everyone who is arguing what must have happened based on pretty much no information, especially Bart who claims to actually carry a badge, cracker jack box one or not. I'll gladly admit an officer made a mistake, but right now there is next to no information to say either way.

BartSimpson @ Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:56 pm

Benn Benn:
Bart who claims to actually carry a badge

Reserve LEO - anymore that means I get maybe one shift a month doing what is essentially glorified security guard work. So, no I won't take offense at the Cracker Jack remark because it may as well be true.

That said; I do get to see what goes on from an insiders' point of view and it is not always something to be proud of. Upside, my agency is pretty good. Sacramento County Sheriff's Department, California Highway Patrol, and Woodland and Davis Police departments can be pretty damned cowboy sometimes. And they, in turn, are pretty good compared to many others.

Yogi @ Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:34 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Yogi Yogi:

Mohandas Gandhi Mohandas Gandhi:
An unjust law is itself a species of violence. Arrest for its breach is more so.

As I understand your laws a legally owned handgun can become an illegally owned handgun just because the RCMP says it is. No court oversight is required.

That said, it would be of no surprise to me if Mr. Robison's first inkling that he had an 'illegal. handgun was when the RCMP entered his home demanding that he turn it over.

Arbitrarily making criminals out of people whose neighbors don't see them as a problem is an act of tyranny in the classical sense. Thus the Gandhi quote.

There was witnesses who were present at the time of the death threats were made. With their (sworn) statements to police, the RCMP were obligated to follow up. Now, the Rc's or any police agency for that matter, cannot arbitrarily take it upon themselves just to enter into a dwelling and do a search and seizure. They would have had to take their evidence to the Crown Prosecutor, have him review it, and then issue a search warrant. For whatever reason, the RCMP were'nt in any particular hurry as the Crown wasn't approached until Monday. The warrant was issued and acted upon on Tuesday.
So it's not like the cops got wind of a rumor and went all gung-ho kickin in doors just for the hell of it!

If someone came to your home, or even telephoned you and made death threats to you/your family, ( Let's just suppose for this conversation that you didn't 'take the threat out' with one of your howitzers. ) would you not expect the local LEO's to take your complaint seriously, and follow up?

Regina @ Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:51 pm

Benn Benn:
"'Good kid' sought in Mountie shooting" Should read "Sh@t Rat"

Yeah and I'm thinking the picture they have of him is from a police "yearbook" and not one from photo school.

andyt @ Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:58 am

These do not sound like the kind of pukes you usually hear about:

$1:
Several residents describe the entire family as artistic, friendly and quiet — "normal farm people." And they're shocked they could be wrapped up in such a mess.
"All I know is if that family was involved, something had to go terribly wrong," said Cheryl Stewart. "None of this makes sense."
Carol and her brother Brad were two of six children raised on the farm, home to several generations of Clarkes. Carol sings in the United Church choir and her husband works as an oilfield operator. There are two homes on the property — Sawyer Robison and Brad Clarke live in the bigger bungalow while Robison's mother and father live in a smaller house.
Brad Clarke ran an organic farm on the property and was a genuinely nice fellow who'd give you the shirt off his back, said Stewart.
Sawyer Robison worked as a professional photographer for his business, Warthog Photography, specializing in the arts and portraiture. He also played drums in a band with his family and they often jammed with other musicians and played at family functions.

Regina @ Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:23 am

Sawyer Clarke Robison, the man wanted in the shooting of two Alberta RCMP officers, has been arrested without incident southeast of Edmonton.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... le2333841/

DrCaleb @ Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:15 am

Excellent.

Regina @ Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:19 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Excellent.

Yes!
Not the ending I thought was going to play out. I thought if he didn't turn himself in by the next day he'd have done harm to himself. Maybe we'll find out what really happened now.

DrCaleb @ Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:25 am

Regina Regina:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Excellent.

Yes!
Not the ending I thought was going to play out. I thought if he didn't turn himself in by the next day he'd have done harm to himself. Maybe we'll find out what really happened now.

+1 on that. Something about this case doesn't add up. I'm glad no one else has been hurt, and hopefully we'll be told what has actually happened here.

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next