Canada Kicks Ass
poor albarta

Previous  1  2  3  Next

jeff744 @ Sat May 12, 2012 6:35 pm

FieryVulpine FieryVulpine:
Danke, and people can fill up the holes and replant the trees, no?

I believe they are legally required to and from what I have heard they are doing a fantastic job of it.

Richard @ Sat May 12, 2012 6:48 pm

jeff744 jeff744:

I believe they are legally required to and from what I have heard they are doing a fantastic job of it.

Isn't it awesome when people want support for their little cause and show pictures of the Rockies then a couple of pictures of evil open pit mining. They never show the pictures of some of the pits that are finished. Those former pits are free of a "natural" oil spill disaster and filled again with cleaner sand and are reforested. Some of them have trees that are already 20' tall and have wild animals running around including Buffalo herds. 8O

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Sun May 13, 2012 6:58 am

Maybe the OP should post pictures of her neighbour's (Germany) massive open pit lignite mines. The largest one digs up the equivalent of a Suez Canal every 5 days and is about 100km2 in size. That's just ONE pit!
At least oil has a myriad of uses, unlike lignite which is only useful for producing very dirty hydro.
Check out the link. The majority of pics are of vast open-pit lignite mines in Germany. In some cases as the mines were expanded, entire towns had to be relocated. And because of the composition of lignite, EVERY large mine has a lignite fired power plant right beside it.
http://www.google.ca/search?q=german+li ... 20&bih=953

Btw, where the hell is albarta??

bootlegga @ Sun May 13, 2012 8:23 am

The most ironic part is that Total S.A. is a major oil sands producer and they are FRENCH.

Brenda @ Sun May 13, 2012 8:39 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
The most ironic part is that Total S.A. is a major oil sands producer and they are FRENCH.

:lol: :lol:

DrCaleb @ Mon May 14, 2012 11:13 am

Richard Richard:
jeff744 jeff744:

Isn't it awesome when people want support for their little cause and show pictures of the Rockies then a couple of pictures of evil open pit mining. They never show the pictures of some of the pits that are finished. Those former pits are free of a "natural" oil spill disaster and filled again with cleaner sand and are reforested. Some of them have trees that are already 20' tall and have wild animals running around including Buffalo herds. 8O

They also never show the land *before* mining. "Mordor" would be an apt description.

Gaagii @ Mon May 14, 2012 11:49 am

That total is French or not that changes nothing because all the mulltinationalles big which destroy our environment and our health are a part of one reason with at the top of the pyramid of the world the new world order!
It is for that, it's a pity that the peoples (all, Canadian, French, American, Spanish ......all) do not move together because we could make it things for the good of the humanity and the environment!
Instead of that, the majority make nothing and everything degrades with irreversible dramatic consequences

andyt @ Mon May 14, 2012 11:50 am

Fair enough. Have you heard the expression "think globally, act locally?"

DrCaleb @ Mon May 14, 2012 12:00 pm

Gaagii Gaagii:
Instead of that, the majority make nothing and everything degrades with irreversible dramatic consequences

Except here in Alberta, where the majority of people are working hard making our lives and communities and where the oil workers leave the environment in a better state than when they found it.

Thanos @ Mon May 14, 2012 12:01 pm

Yep, Albarta's an awesome place. 8)

bootlegga @ Mon May 14, 2012 12:12 pm

Gaagii Gaagii:
That total is French or not that changes nothing because all the mulltinationalles big which destroy our environment and our health are a part of one reason with at the top of the pyramid of the world the new world order!
It is for that, it's a pity that the peoples (all, Canadian, French, American, Spanish ......all) do not move together because we could make it things for the good of the humanity and the environment!

Try using Google (if that hasn't been outlawed in France yet) and look for reclaimed oil sands land - the images will horrify you! Bison grazing, flowers blooming and plants growing!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gord99/5070586284/

Are the current oil sands sites ugly to look at? Definitely, but so are operating mines all over the world, no matter whether they are located in Canada or France or Africa.

If the government let corporations leave them in that state, you might have a point, but there are rules regarding reclaimed land - they have to be returned to exactly what they were prior to mining.

But your arguments here are nothing but over-blown hyperbole.

BartSimpson @ Mon May 14, 2012 4:46 pm

:lol: I gave the OP +1 for "Albarta" ....

QBC @ Mon May 14, 2012 5:02 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
:lol: I gave the OP +1 for "Albarta" ....

:lol:

ShepherdsDog @ Mon May 14, 2012 5:11 pm

Is al-barta, bart's username on the Al Jazeera website?

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Mon May 14, 2012 10:38 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
They also never show the land *before* mining. "Mordor" would be an apt description.

I had heard before the sands were anywhere near developed as they are that the environment in the area was already toxic. Runoff from heavy rains was washing oil sands into nearby streams and rivers.
I agree with it being analogous to Mordor. I have seen pics of the area before development and it looked like a toxic wasteland then.

Previous  1  2  3  Next