Canada Kicks Ass
September in Southern Alberta

SprCForr @ Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:05 pm

All it said on the news was that crews are working their way in. A whole lot of wet snow brought down a bunch of poles and they have to replace almost all of them to get power back into the Crowsnest. I left the room as they were saying when the power was expected to be back on. Sorry.

Regina @ Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:00 pm

lily lily:
Okay... what's going on in Southern Alberta? There was a huge dump of wet snow last night, knocking out the power and a whole bunch of trees. Some areas have been without electricity for almost 24 hours... they have no heat and are losing the contents of their fridges and freezers.

24 hours.... and no-one knows anything about it?

Anyone from the area have any info?

This is an odd country for weather. Today it was 33C and with the Humidex it was 40C or 104F. I didn't hear the sn** word and I'm plugging my ears now! 8O

SwampoO @ Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:54 pm

Strange indeed Im in Calgary on a visit and I haven't heard anything of it and the TV's been on all day...

Streaker @ Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:07 pm

Ziggy lives in the area, I believe. He'll have to give us the lowdown on the situation there...

SwampoO @ Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:34 pm

yeah once his power is back on... just saw the news... crap thats alot of snow ... breaking trees even... open up the ski lifts Fernie is back in business for the winter in early september

Streaker @ Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:32 pm

Even if he has power he might be busy helping with snow removal for awhile....

usababe @ Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:54 am

still no power! hopefully it will be back on soon.

ziggy @ Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:08 pm

Sweet power!

Been down since 9:30 saturday night.
No heat,no gas,no food,no cel towers operational......no nothing untill an hour ago. 8O Looks like 74 big transmission towers down and they got one up so were all on gen trucks for a few months.Nice little blurb in the Calgary sun about it on page 2,the mayor said everything was kosher and under control.What a liar,I'm coming onto 90 hours without power and the VLT's are running 2 miles down the road? Here's a good one,I go into the tavern last night to see if I can get something to eat as my fridge is now clean,got told they cant run the stoves as they have to conserve power,so then I requested the TV turned on so at least for the first time this week I may see something about our disaster....like a number to call or something,was told they couldnt turn it on as they were told to conserve power yet the 6 video lottery terminals were running full steam. We got power now off the temp huge gen sets.I got the place wired now for my gen set so enmax can go fuck themselves.

Good thing the old folks here are from the old country and used to 0 temps at night with no heat.

Blue_Nose @ Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:54 pm

Good to hear from you, ziggy... I know, from the "White Juan" catastrophe here in NS a few winters ago, that lights coming on when you flick the switch and a refrigerator are things you can start taking for granted. Stretch it out for a week (two or three in some areas) and it gets a little hairy :wink:

SprCForr @ Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:21 pm

74 towers! Holy crap!

Enmax still going to bill everyone despite the fact it's all on gennies?

VLT's! 8O
I never realized they were that critical.

Well, I'm glad you got some juice anyway.

Stay warm.

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:44 pm

I'd gladly ship you some of our weather if I could (as the sweat version of Niagra flows off my back, down the crack of my ass).

Regina @ Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:16 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
I'd gladly ship you some of our weather if I could (as the sweat version of Niagra flows off my back, down the crack of my ass).
PDT_Armataz_01_32 ROTFL