Canada Kicks Ass
Liberals Want Roaylties for Bottled Water

Previous  1  2  3  Next

grainfedprairieboy @ Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:04 pm

Knoss Knoss:
Water bills are low due to provincial and federal subsidisation of municipal water systems. It would be a lot more expesive to dig a well, as is done in rural Canada.

This subsidisation encourages wasteful consumption habits.

Wada @ Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:23 pm

Knoss Knoss:
$1:
Fishermen have to buy a lisence. Mining, oil and gas all pay. I'm not sure that we all don't pay with our water bills so I don't think I'd refer to the idea as a "shameless tax grab". It might be double taxation.

Water bills are low due to provincial and federal subsidisation of municipal water systems. It would be a lot more expesive to dig a well, as is done in rural Canada.

and I'm not sure that the water, as a product, we get from our taps is charged for, taxed or wjat have you so much as the delivery system and it's maintenance.

I guess this is one reason I'm not impressed with our overall system of taxation. KISS is not the definition of the tax department. :wink:

Mr_Canada old @ Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:37 pm

Wada Wada:
Arctic_Menace Arctic_Menace:
$1:
Oh, so after you have a go at insulting me you decide to be rational. (BTW, that sorta defines all Liberals.)

You sooooooooo have gone and done it now. :lol:

You said the magic "L" word that transforms Wullu into the Hulk...

[popcorn]

May I join you. :lol: [popcorn]
*decided against pulling out the 'Holy Fucking Shit' picture and just takes some popcorn*

[popcorn]

grainfedprairieboy @ Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:08 pm

I do not approve of any government taxing water that is destined for direct consumption. Actually, I disapprove of governments taxing anything but find the taxation of the basic necessities for life particularly distasteful.

Arctic_Menace @ Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:24 pm

$1:
I do not approve of any government taxing water that is destined for direct consumption. Actually, I disapprove of governments taxing anything but find the taxation of the basic necessities for life particularly distasteful.

So in other words, you're against Nova Scotia making money of their own rather than leeching off the government which leeches off of Canadians?

grainfedprairieboy @ Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:32 pm

Arctic_Menace Arctic_Menace:
$1:

So in other words, you're against Nova Scotia making money of their own rather than leeching off the government which leeches off of Canadians?

No..in other words I am against the government of Nova Scotia leeching off enterprise at the expense of consumers.

How did you come to your strange conclusion?

PJB @ Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:50 pm

As much as I hate to sound like the devil's advocate, I tend to think that the idea of having companies that bottle natural spring water pay some sort of royalty to the governments, both provincial and federal, is not that bad an idea. They are adding value to a natural resource right? Is that not the same thing that oil producers do? People pay what? Close to 2 bucks a litre for bottled water? Is that all profit for someone who has a reverse osmosis system and a bottling line? This water is a natural resource and I think that we should all benefit from it's export, especially when idiots pay that much for it.

grainfedprairieboy @ Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:57 pm

If you can tax a company for bottling water then you can tax a farmer for irrigating from a dugout or a rural resident for their well. In fact, the next step will be to tax cisterns recharged from rainwater.

If you look at houses built in England several hundred years ago they have very small windows because the King made people pay a sunshine tax, let's not make the same mistake.

hurley_108 @ Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:19 pm

grainfedprairieboy grainfedprairieboy:
Regardless, the problem is that a government would consider to unraily tax one industry over another. The article stated that brewers and pop manufatures wouldn't be included.

The reverse osmosis process a lot of companies, like Coke under the Dasani label, use to "make" bottled water wastes about three units of otherwise potable tap water for every unit of product. Fuck them. Tax the shit out of it, they can pass it on to consumers who can bloody well drink tap water and kill a retarded, wasteful market.

grainfedprairieboy @ Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:26 pm

hurley_108 hurley_108:
Regardless, the problem is that a government would consider to unraily tax one industry over another. The article stated that brewers and pop manufatures wouldn't be included.

The reverse osmosis process a lot of companies, like Coke under the Dasani label, use to "make" bottled water wastes about three units of otherwise potable tap water for every unit of product. Fuck them. Tax the shit out of it, they can pass it on to consumers who can bloody well drink tap water and kill a retarded, wasteful market.

While what you say may be true, taxes should not be used to regulate the activities of private business. I know you don't believe it but trust me, that is a recipe for economic disaster.

dog77_1999 @ Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:26 am

hurley_108 hurley_108:

source on this? unless you mean the actual making of the bottle. If that is the case, you can reuse the bottles when they collect them.

Actually Dasani uses municiple water to make their bottled water. They pay for it just like everyone else.

Wullu @ Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:17 am

Speaking for NS hurley, all the water they are bottling is natural spring water. The only thing done to it is the normal testing anyone would do to ensure safety.

That being said, the whole concept of buying a litre of water for a buck fifty that you can get out of your tap for about 0.0005 dollars is totally beyond me. When we stop paying that for water, THEN we can complain about the price of gas at the pumps.

Wullu @ Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:42 am

You are right gfpb, you get no apology from me for none is deserved nor required. Stats from seven years ago? Of course nothing has changed since then, right?

Let's see. Up to 2000 the two major industrial concerns in the province had just closed or were just about to. That, of course had no effect on the numbers. Right? Let's look at the four years following that shall we?

Nova Scotia's percentage of increase in GDP for the years 2001 to 2004 out paced the following provinces for two or three of those years :
Newfoundland and Labrador
Quebec
Ontario
Manitoba
Saskatchewan (out paced 2 years of the four)
Alberta (2 of 4 again)
British Columbia (2 of 4 again)

Labour productivity? Let's look at the annual growth in productivity from 1997 to 2005 shall we?

Hey look at that. Right there at the national average. Imagine that!

Wullu @ Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:45 am

And lastly........ ;)

For the record, the last time I cast my ballot with an X in the spot next to the L was in the early 80's. Young, idealistic. Now older and realisitic ;)

ziggy @ Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:11 am

Wullu Wullu:
Speaking for NS hurley, all the water they are bottling is natural spring water. The only thing done to it is the normal testing anyone would do to ensure safety.

That being said, the whole concept of buying a litre of water for a buck fifty that you can get out of your tap for about 0.0005 dollars is totally beyond me. When we stop paying that for water, THEN we can complain about the price of gas at the pumps.

Here in Baker lake,they pay $6.00 for a liter of dasani and Nunavut is the fresh water capital of the world.

Previous  1  2  3  Next