Canada Kicks Ass
NewFoundLand worth the trip and cost?

Canadaka @ Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:25 pm

We are currently on the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia and need to decide very fast if we are going to go to NewFoundLand or not. I kind of want to get back to BC sooner than later so time is starting to become an issue on my Canada road trip. There is also the expenseof it, the ferry is really expensive!!!

And we would probably go one way on the shorter/less expensive route and come back on the long haul.... The trip also basically takes a day each way, we could take a night ferry to shorten the total travel time.

The rough cost for the return trip with a bunk bed on the long haul is $500+ ... thats how much Gas has cost to drive across all of Canada! There is also the weather, its been pretty rainy and the forecast doesn't look too much better.

So is NFL worth the cost of the ferry? is the scenery that much different than NB, PEI, NS?

EyeBrock @ Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:04 pm

Canadaka Canadaka:
We are currently on the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia and need to decide very fast if we are going to go to NewFoundLand or not. I kind of want to get back to BC sooner than later so time is starting to become an issue on my Canada road trip. There is also the expenseof it, the ferry is really expensive!!!

And we would probably go one way on the shorter/less expensive route and come back on the long haul.... The trip also basically takes a day each way, we could take a night ferry to shorten the total travel time.

The rough cost for the return trip with a bunk bed on the long haul is $500+ ... thats how much Gas has cost to drive across all of Canada! There is also the weather, its been pretty rainy and the forecast doesn't look too much better.

So is NFL worth the cost of the ferry? is the scenery that much different than NB, PEI, NS?

NFLD is a great place to visit. What makes it so great really is the people. St John's is a nice spot, loads of history. Take a trip 'around the Bay' and see the Outports.

I never regretted my visits to the Rock and have numerous warm memories of my time there.

The scenery is much more rugged than the mainland imho, it has a distinctness that the Newfies have in bucketloads.

GO!

Wullu @ Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:22 pm

I lived there for two years so I am kinda biased. If I won the lottery tommorow, I would be on the phone to a real estate agent in St. John's the next day.

First off on the cost thing. I made the ferry trip six times in the two years there and you can save the money on the cabin imho. The TV lounge chairs are more than comfy enough to crash in, especially if you take the over night to Port O.

The scenery? The fjords on the west coast are stunning! The coastal roads around the Avalon are also a great drive. If mueseums are your thing, then I gotta say not so much.

But like Eyebrock said. Newfoundland is about the Newfies. You will not meet anyone like them anywhere else. Period. Everyone should spend a night in an Irish pub on George St in St. John's. Hell everyone should spend one night on George St. period! Go to Trapper John's and get yourselves Screached in!

ShepherdsDog @ Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:30 pm

Wullu Wullu:
I lived there for two years so I am kinda biased. If I won the lottery tommorow, I would be on the phone to a real estate agent in St. John's the next day.

First off on the cost thing. I made the ferry trip six times in the two years there and you can save the money on the cabin imho. The TV lounge chairs are more than comfy enough to crash in, especially if you take the over night to Port O.

The scenery? The fjords on the west coast are stunning! The coastal roads around the Avalon are also a great drive. If mueseums are your thing, then I gotta say not so much.

But like Eyebrock said. Newfoundland is about the Newfies. You will not meet anyone like them anywhere else. Period. Everyone should spend a night in an Irish pub on George St in St. John's. Hell everyone should spend one night on George St. period! Go to Trapper John's and get yourselves Screached in!

I spent a few hours of one night passed out on George Street back in November of '84. Between Basic and the beginning of my TQ3 a few of us took some small trips around the Maritimes. PDT_Armataz_01_32 F'ín Newfies and their Screech!

canadian1971 @ Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:57 pm

Yes the scenery is alot different then the in NS, NB and PEI. Be warned though....it's a long drive from Port Aux Basque to St. John's......I'd suggest going to Gros Morne instead....shorter drive...plus you'll get a little taste of every thing NL can offer in the lines of scenery.

newfette @ Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:30 am

ther is so so so much more to newfoundland then the west coast.. and I dont think you get a little bit of everything it has to offer..

the drive can be long (I can get from port aux basques to st johns in 10 hours ish)

but theres also the option of taking the ferry into the grand banks and doing the east coast instead.

I do agree with everyone that a cabing is a complete waste of money..