Canada Kicks Ass
St Pierre et Miquelon

PRH977 @ Wed May 10, 2006 1:50 pm

Does anyone know anything about St Pierre et Miquelon? Has anyone on here ever been there? I know it's obviously small, that there's not much to do and that it lives mainly from fishing and subsidies from France.

I'm just intrigued by the idea of a bit of France so close to Canada, a sort of relic from the days when France had a considerably bigger presence in North America.

danikyvor @ Wed May 10, 2006 1:53 pm

One of my great friends is from Newfoundland and her grandfather was pals with Al Capone and between the two of them they smuggled an awful lot of rum on St Pierre et Miquelon lol

She says it's a lovely wee place though. :) Very colourful. All the houses are painted in bright colours.

Arctic_Menace @ Wed May 10, 2006 3:35 pm

So are the Magdalen Islands in the St. Lawrence Gulf. Like driving through skittles......

And I say we take those islands....France won't miss them.......

Arctic_Menace @ Wed May 10, 2006 3:41 pm

After about 300 years of practice, they oughta be good at surrendering. :wink:

Donny_Brasco @ Wed May 10, 2006 3:42 pm

Arctic_Menace Arctic_Menace:
France won't miss them.......

Ya, just like you thought the Indians wouldn't miss a few hectares of land here and there across the country.

Except the French have nukes and battleships and armies.

Go for it, I dare you! PDT_Armataz_01_40

Arctic_Menace @ Wed May 10, 2006 3:48 pm

First of all, France won't notice as these Islands are nothing special, and almost worthless......

Plus, If I was to show up with 90 Newfies with harpoons, the French would run like the little girls they are.....

denmns @ Wed May 10, 2006 6:34 pm

This is a place I would like to send all those Separtists in quebec seeing they want their own country.

Have seen the houses there. Reminds me of the small fishing villages in New brunswick during my teen years.

Newfie Scott @ Thu May 11, 2006 4:09 am

Been there. It's not that hard to get to, 2 hour drive to Fortune from St. John's via the highway, then a 45 minute ferry trip across. Just keep in mind that if you want to go, there is a ferry on Friday to the island of Saint Pierre, and the return trip isn't until Sunday.

They have a museum to Al Capone located on the main floor of one of the hotels there (near the waterfront, can't remember the name, somewhere around the Discotechque if memory serves). They also have the house used by Capone and his smugglers preserved, and you can see that and other features of Saint Pierre via the bus tours. Haven't been to Miquelon, but I hear the sand dunes are beautiful.