Canada Kicks Ass
Moving out West

Previous  1  2  3  Next

SprCForr @ Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:13 am

Richard Richard:
... Vernon to Vancouver can be done in a carin six hours easy...

Six hours? Which route?

Air Care is a mandatory yearly vehicle smog check for the Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley people.

Richard @ Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:37 am

$700 per mo

I left N Van at 11am and was in North Okanogan before 5pm going over the Coke.

Air Care is a pain in the ass and not really that effective. I know some people insure their vehicles in other parts of the province so they don't have to do it.

ICBC is the monopoly insurance scammer in B.C and you pay insurance according to your geographical zone. The more claims in a zone the higher the rate.

SprCForr @ Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:53 pm

Not bad from N. Van. That traffic down there is terrible along Hwy 1. I remember when it cleared at Surrey. Now it's bad all the way to Chilliwack. Yuck. Any plans to expand that puppy before the Winter Olympics?

Air Care. What a scam. The year it came in I went down to test my old 4x4. That thing spent so much time in water/mud that the exhaust system was rotted out all along the bottom. The engine was done, stripped of all emissions crap, the whole thing. Air Care girl waves me in and tells me the requirements to pass etc. I know it will fail because there is not one shred of emissions control left on it. They check the fuel tank filler to see if it was punched indicating an alteration - All OK (Not really, because I completely swapped out the filler neck and tanks, but they didn't detect that) Stuffed the pipe with the wand, asked me to step out because only their highly trained technicians are capable of holding an engine to a specific RPM for a specific time (lol). Then a check for disconnected smog junk - Pass. Nothing disconnected. WTF? Because I had disconnected and removed everything, they couldn't determine if it even had it to begin with. Since according to them nothing looked tampered with, it passed. They didn't bother to look at the vacuum lines etc all blocked around the carb. OK, great, so how was the emissions? This is where the wheels really fall off. I passed because the beast didn't emit a harmful level of crud. Since it mostly all leaked out before hitting the wand, not much was left to be detected. The increased noise level was just written off because it was a dirty primered mud bogger. Suited me just fine! Got my results and headed down to ICBC and renewed. Did it all again the next year. The guy behind me in the 5 year old Buick Century fails because of a bad cat. No renewal for him!

ICBC and Pat McGeer, If I remember correctly wasn't that a result of BC's first NDP government/Dave Barrett?

Zudnic @ Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:11 pm

PluggyRug PluggyRug:

Thanks for all the replies guy's

Whats 'air care'?

Would that be $700 per ?????

Regards Frank

Same as Ontario's clean air testing in order to register your vehicle every year. Welcome to B.C., no free choice in auto insurance, nor a voice in federal elections. Property crime in Vancouver amongst the highest rates in North America and small town communities that were once the bible belt of B.C. are today tied with Regina for murder capital of Canada. Aint liberalism the mental disorder grand????

SprCForr @ Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:33 am

Which BC communities would that be?

PluggyRug @ Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:14 am

Zudnic Zudnic:
PluggyRug PluggyRug:

Thanks for all the replies guy's

Whats 'air care'?

Would that be $700 per ?????

Regards Frank

Same as Ontario's clean air testing in order to register your vehicle every year. Welcome to B.C., no free choice in auto insurance, nor a voice in federal elections. Property crime in Vancouver amongst the highest rates in North America and small town communities that were once the bible belt of B.C. are today tied with Regina for murder capital of Canada. Aint liberalism the mental disorder grand????

Can't be any worse than Ontario.

Don't want to live in a bible belt.

My current community is/was a bible thumping area, and is the hypocrisy center of Southern Ontario. :?

Zudnic @ Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:26 am

SprCForr SprCForr:

Abbotsford is tied with Regina for highest murder rate per 100,000 in Canada.

When you think about the population of Regina is roughly 280,000 people or less. The state of California population is almost double that of Canada the entire nation. Abbotsford cant be than hundred grand of people. When thought of with logic Canada is way more violent with murder than the United States. Aint liberalism grand? Its clearly a mental disorder only a disorder of the mind would cloud judgement to think Canada is some how better over America.

OIlman @ Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:51 am

Hester Hester:
Come to Victoria, the weather's nice. We get half the rain Vancouver does and it's cheaper, though still expensive. My wife says there's lots of work here, people are still coming here and finding work. I'm in the military so I don't see this - I have to take her word for it.

Our winters are grey and dreary, I prefer the snow and the sunny winters of Saskatchewan. After four months of grey and rain, I'm ready to remove the teeth of anyone who says, "at least we don't have to shovel it."

And for planning purposes: Winter in Victoria falls on a wednesday this year.

Work in Victoria? hmm....

TonyCanuck @ Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:18 am

Zudnic Zudnic:
SprCForr SprCForr:

When you think about the population of Regina is roughly 280,000 people or less. The state of California population is almost double that of Canada the entire nation. Abbotsford cant be than hundred grand of people. When thought of with logic Canada is way more violent with murder than the United States. Aint liberalism grand? Its clearly a mental disorder only a disorder of the mind would cloud judgement to think Canada is some how better over America.

You have no clue what you are talking about do you...Canada is roughly 32 Million people.....California roughly 35 million or so. Where is your proof on the murder rate for Regina and Abbotsford?

TonyCanuck @ Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:01 am

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/fac ... 9rank.html

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06000.html

SprCForr @ Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:57 am

Stats Can doesn't support his argument either.

http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/legal12b.htm

TonyCanuck @ Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:15 pm

PDT_Armataz_01_37

Hester @ Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:44 pm

7 murders in Regina is enough to make it the murder capital of Canada.

It's not the MOST murders of any city, it's the number of murders PER 100,00 people.

TonyCanuck @ Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:16 pm

Zudnic Zudnic:
SprCForr SprCForr:

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article ... 12&did=169

The Canadian average per 100,000 ppl is lower than the American. You have lost every arguement you have tried to present here.

nomad37 @ Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:28 pm

Sorry to wake up this thread, but I thought it was preferable to starting a new one. The earlier posts didn't quite address an area I'm interested in. Could anyone offer some opinions or advice on the following areas?
Port Moody, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, New Westminster, and even Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows. Identification of any other smaller communities in that general area might be helpful too. I'm not that fond of Burnaby, but if there are nicer parts out the east end, let me know. I'm looking for a place that might have some neighbourhoods of small 1-2 bedroom bungalow type places, and has some sense of community like a town, ie, not stripmalls and 6-lane streets lined with banal chain stores. Cost matters, but I guess it's all expensive. Also, what is the area bounded by North Ave./SFU and Lougheed Hwy really a part of? I can't tell from the maps... Thanks for any advice! (Unfortunately no I have not found a job or anything.)

Previous  1  2  3  Next