Canada Kicks Ass
Moving to Vancouver from Ireland

1  2  Next

leimrod @ Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:56 am

Hey, so I'm new here. I googled "largest Canadian forum" and this one showed up :rock:

I'm planning on moving to, or around, Vancouver with my OH (who's Canadian, from Hinton AB) in April (hopefully the Olympic inflation will have dropped a little by then). In Ireland we live in the burbs outside of Dublin City and we're looking into something similar around Vancouver.

We don't really want to live in the city centre, we are looking for somewhere about 45 minutes to an hours drive outside of the city, hopefully North of the City, or near the Rockies.

What would be some good towns to start looking for rental prices in? We are fairly into outdoor stuff liking kayaking, canyoning, bouldering, snow boarding, mountain biking... etc.

ShepherdsDog @ Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:07 am

Abbotsford....if you like living in a town with more churches than 7-11s. Mission is nice, on the north side of the Fraser. There are lots of nice places to choose from...just stay away from Surrey(especially Guilford). The mountains are only minutes away regardless of where you live in the Lower Mainland, unless you live in South Delta.

leimrod @ Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:30 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
Abbotsford....if you like living in a town with more churches than 7-11s. Mission is nice, on the north side of the Fraser. There are lots of nice places to choose from...just stay away from Surrey(especially Guilford). The mountains are only minutes away regardless of where you live in the Lower Mainland, unless you live in South Delta.

Is there any good towns with decent rail links into the city center? I will look into Abbotsford.

BTW, what's wrong with Surrey and Guilford that I should be aware of?

ShepherdsDog @ Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:13 am

They have commuter rail service all the way along the north shore of the Fraser River, all the way out to Mission(or they did). Surrey, specifically Guilford, is one of 'those places' that every city has.

gigs @ Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:29 am

leimrod leimrod:
Hey, so I'm new here. I googled "largest Canadian forum" and this one showed up :rock:

I'm planning on moving to, or around, Vancouver with my OH (who's Canadian, from Hinton AB) in April (hopefully the Olympic inflation will have dropped a little by then). In Ireland we live in the burbs outside of Dublin City and we're looking into something similar around Vancouver.

We don't really want to live in the city centre, we are looking for somewhere about 45 minutes to an hours drive outside of the city, hopefully North of the City, or near the Rockies.

What would be some good towns to start looking for rental prices in? We are fairly into outdoor stuff liking kayaking, canyoning, bouldering, snow boarding, mountain biking... etc.

If you don't like rain why would you move to the Vancouver area?
BTW the Rockies are a loooooonnnnnnggggg way from the west coast :lol:

kenmore @ Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:32 am

Well, before we answer.. do you like Chinese or do you like Indian foods. then we can tell you better where to live.. but seriously North Van is great!

leimrod @ Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:15 am

Well I like Indian food. But good Indian food :lol: If I had to choose between bad indian and bad chinese it would probably be chinese food then.

I don't mind the rain, it's just the seasons all kind of mix into each other over here in Ireland. I spent a few weeks of the summer in Vancouver and every day was sunny. Even on Sunny days in Ireland you can't be guaranteed the weather won't change in a matter of minutes. We have the saying that only in Ireland will you see a person go outside on a sunny day in shorts with an umbrella under their arm.

We also don't really want to live in the city, and plan to hopefully move north if we can find work in a town there. We are just making Vancouver our first stop as it will hopefully give us a better chance of finding work.

Brenda @ Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:17 am

What do you do?
Welcome from a Dutchy in South BC (NOT the Mainland) :lol:

Hyack @ Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:29 am

leimrod leimrod:
I don't mind the rain, it's just the seasons all kind of mix into each other over here in Ireland. Even on Sunny days in Ireland you can't be guaranteed the weather won't change in a matter of minutes. We have the saying that only in Ireland will you see a person go outside on a sunny day in shorts with an umbrella under their arm.

You have pretty well summed up the weather in the Lower Mainland. You can have all 4 seasons in as many hours. For the outdoorsy lifestyle, close to Vancouver, I would definitely recommend Squamish. With the new highway it is easily under an hours drive from Vancouver, less to Whistler.

raydan @ Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:38 am

Great Irish community in Montreal.
You have the United Irish Societies of Montreal and the St. Patrick's Day parade every year.

My favorite Irish places to go in Montreal: [B-o]
Hurley' Irish Pub
Mckibbin's Irish Pub
McLean's Pub
O Regans Irish Pub
Le Vieux Dublin Pub & Restaurant

EDIT: We definitely have 4 different seasons here, although there may be a bit of mixing once in a while. And the girls...

Brenda @ Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:42 am

Raydan, he is bringing his other half... :twisted:

coaster_dot @ Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:50 am

raydan raydan:
Great Irish community in Montreal.
You have the United Irish Societies of Montreal and the St. Patrick's Day parade every year.

My favorite Irish places to go in Montreal: [B-o]
Hurley' Irish Pub
Mckibbin's Irish Pub
McLean's Pub
O Regans Irish Pub
Le Vieux Dublin Pub & Restaurant

EDIT: We definitely have 4 different seasons here, although there may be a bit of mixing once in a while. And the girls...

You just gave me more motivation Raydan... :mrgreen:

Welcome leimrod from a bit south in Milwaukee, Wisconsin [B-o] Vancouver is a great city!

TattoodGirl @ Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:56 am

Guildford isnt bad, Whalley sure is, in Surrey....Ah its Surrey just stay away from Surrey :wink: :lol:

Why the hell would you want to move to the new and improve police state of Vancouver?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It isnt the city I grew up in anymore :lol:

TattoodGirl @ Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:58 am

Hyack Hyack:
leimrod leimrod:
I don't mind the rain, it's just the seasons all kind of mix into each other over here in Ireland. Even on Sunny days in Ireland you can't be guaranteed the weather won't change in a matter of minutes. We have the saying that only in Ireland will you see a person go outside on a sunny day in shorts with an umbrella under their arm.

You have pretty well summed up the weather in the Lower Mainland. You can have all 4 seasons in as many hours. For the outdoorsy lifestyle, close to Vancouver, I would definitely recommend Squamish. With the new highway it is easily under an hours drive from Vancouver, less to Whistler.

I am with Hyack on the Squamish Idea....Great area [B-o]

Bouboumaster @ Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:01 am

It's only sad for you that all the pretty girls in Canada are in Montreal!

1  2  Next