Canada Kicks Ass
Municipal elections

Strutz @ Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:11 pm

So... I'm curious...

There is always so much banter on these forums over Federal, and to a smaller extent, Provincial elections.

What about on the municipal level? Do you participate in the election for your mayor, city council and school trustees?

I ask because tomorrow is election day in B.C. for these positions. It seems voter turnout is even poorer at this level which is kind of suprising considering decisions made within your community affect your day-to-day life so much.

I'll be voting tomorrow before I go to work. We need change where I live! I hope to be a part of making that a possibility.

So, how much attention do cka members pay to their communities? Do you vote on the municipal level?

Gunnair @ Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:16 pm

Absolutley. One of the most important elections once can take part in.

Strutz @ Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:23 pm

Awesome Gunnair [B-o]

It's sad that so many don't realize the importance...

herbie @ Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:04 am

I ran for council last time. They took a nomination sheet and got 75 people to sign nominating me.
43 of them showed up to vote.
Tomorrow I get to vote. A Mayor who'd be "left", and would've been shafted and screwed over by El Gordo's Libs. Has Christy changed their attitude any? Or a Mayor who's flat out hands down fave, smart and would be a darling to the Provincial politicos. But who currently oversees staff with "Why should I have to learn THAT" "THAT'S not my job" "It's someone ELSE'S fault" attitudes. That display that to fucking students, so they'll be as useless and helpless.
And only two out of four choices for council. I only approve of two candidates.

ShepherdsDog @ Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:37 am

I don't know why they garner so little intrest amongst people. What municipal governments do or don't do has amore immediate and profound impact on our daily life. Policing, fixing the potholes, picking up my garbage, sewage and water, and property taxes means more to me the macro policies that come from the provincial and federal governments.

Yogi @ Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:39 am

I never miss any chance to vote. The 'municipals' though, are as important as any, as the outcome determines how my property taxes are assessesd/spent, thusly determining my 'community' quality of life. ie; snow removal, road repairs, garbage pick-up etc. I find that more at a municipal level than any other, folks who get involved are much more inclined to do so, because they actually really are interested in improving their community rather than getting into politics just for the prestige, perks, and $$$.

ShepherdsDog @ Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:46 am

...unlike MPs they don't have that much security(Just ask Rob Fucking Ford) if you're disgruntled with them :twisted: