Canada Kicks Ass
NDP dumps candidate for making racist comments

Previous  1 ... 8  9  10  11  12

OnTheIce @ Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:24 pm

fifeboy fifeboy:
However, the problem of racism in Canada is a historical and ongoing problem that needs to be addressed, and starting with individual attitudes is a good place. I have seen it in classrooms in Saskatchewan, in an aboriginal community (however, in these cases, the teachers didn't stay long.) Also in non-aboriginal communities. Children don't learn well in situations where they feel excluded and downgraded. I must admit that the situation is improving with Dpt. of Ed. requirements on including native culture in the curriculum. Success in school leads to success in life, which may be an overstated idea, but considering I was a teacher, I like it.

I don't know the situation in Central Canada as I have not lived there for about 40 years.

I completely agree there is a racism problem within Canada but I would suggest it's a two way street with respect to Natives.

I think we as Canadians have embraced people of other cultures in our schools. Look at our demographics today. I think Native children would thrive in off-reserve schools just like kids from other cultures have.

fifeboy @ Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:48 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:

I completely agree there is a racism problem within Canada but I would suggest it's a two way street with respect to Natives.

I think we as Canadians have embraced people of other cultures in our schools. Look at our demographics today. I think Native children would thrive in off-reserve schools just like kids from other cultures have.

Well, now we agree. And I do see racism as a two way street, although my experiences with it were all "angry young men" who had problems in all areas of their life, and to be honest, only a few native people have shown real racism toward me. I have however seen innumerable cases of white racism against native people (and one case of Chinese racism toward natives and one involving a Sihk.) It is a two way street, but most of the traffic goes one way. I do know that my own son, Metis, was subjugated to racism from classmates when he moved to the city, but I also can say the school stepped in quickly and dealt with it. Schools are making progress and this is a good thing. On a side note, several of the teachers in my grandaughters school are Metis and proud. And yes, they are Canadian as well.

ShepherdsDog @ Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:21 pm

I witnessed a shit load of racism directed towards whites.....but it was usually in the RCMP detachment holding cells. 'You bald headed white nazi bitch'

fifeboy @ Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:25 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
I witnessed a shit load of racism directed towards whites.....but it was usually in the RCMP detachment holding cells. 'You bald headed white nazi bitch'
RCMP holding cells don't usually hold the best of any community. Best place to meet friendly, happy people in the town I lived in was a community feast. Another good place was Church, bingo or the store.

ShepherdsDog @ Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:37 pm

community meals were great.... [drool]

OnTheIce @ Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:58 pm

My experience, much the same.

Never been in a holding cell, but the local OPP 'officer' was quite a piece of work.

fifeboy @ Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:09 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:

My experience, much the same.

Never been in a holding cell, but the local OPP 'officer' was quite a piece of work.
Was Shep referring to the RCMP or the inmates?

Previous  1 ... 8  9  10  11  12