Canada Kicks Ass
Storm tosses BC ferry passengers

1  2  Next

Gunnair @ Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:37 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/11/23/bc-ferry-northern-adventure-rough-weather.html

:roll: Jebus.

7 - 10 meter waves. Try it on a 55m ship instead of a big ferry.

ridenrain @ Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:24 pm

I'm not a big BC Ferries hater, but some of the comments make me wonder.

"When I looked at BCF's live vessel tracking at 2:50, it said the ferry was halfway out. I looked at the Env. Can buoy info and the bouy said 5.5 metres. That ferry has never sailed in more than 3.5. "

It dosen't make sense to leave if they knew that really bad conditions were in their path.

.. but I guess that's why David Han get's paid the really, really big bucks.

Canadian_Mind @ Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:38 pm

Worst I've ever been in on a ferry was Queen of Oak Bay, and while I couldn't tell you the actual height of the swells, they were washing up along the side into the lower card deck through the window openings. That was November 2006 time frame.

Freakinoldguy @ Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/11/23/bc-ferry-northern-adventure-rough-weather.html

Did it numerous times on the old gate vessels many years ago. I can assure you that not alot of people attempted to cross the well deck in seas like that.

There appears to be a law of physics that states the bigger the ship the bigger the waves.

Strange thing is that I wasn't really scared on a Gate vessel but I certainly had the crap scared out of me numerous times on everything from DE's to Tankers.

ShepherdsDog @ Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:34 pm

Whiskey 601...now there's some fun times in a smaller vessel. Pah...Greenies are where it's at, 7 - 10 metre seas are a moderate chop.

Brenda @ Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:36 pm

Geesh, I get sea sick while looking at a flowing river... I can't imagine me staying alive in that :lol:

Gunnair @ Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:46 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Gunnair Gunnair:

Did it numerous times on the old gate vessels many years ago. I can assure you that not alot of people attempted to cross the well deck in seas like that.

There appears to be a law of physics that states the bigger the ship the bigger the waves.

Strange thing is that I wasn't really scared on a Gate vessel but I certainly had the crap scared out of me numerous times on everything from DE's to Tankers.

I remember watching the rescue boat floating around the Porte Quebec's well deck as we headed down to San Fran. Miserable trip where we were wet as hell and sick as dogs. Some of the worst weather was Straits of Georgia. Mind, a 280 in the Bering Sea was no treat either.

ShepherdsDog @ Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:07 pm

Brenda Brenda:
Geesh, I get sea sick while looking at a flowing river... I can't imagine me staying alive in that :lol:

You just watch your vomit for a hairy little ring. if you see it grab it and swallow it, because that's your asshole.

We used to carry around garbage bags for emergencies. One asshole(officer cadidiot came on watch with a clear bag. PDT_Armataz_01_32

Lemmy @ Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:22 pm

I think Conservatives don't like ferries just because of the homonym. They also don't like the word "homonym" and would really rather they were not homosapiens.

BartSimpson @ Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:25 pm

Wow. Someone needs to tell this captain that trying to catch up with the Queen of the North is not a race you want to win. 8O

Hyack @ Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:16 pm

It looks like the MV Northern Adventure ferry is having other teething problems, strange we are just hearing about this the day after the last "Fast Ferry" was shipped out to Saudi Arabia.

B.C. ship's reputation takes another hit

$1:
Critics have long questioned whether the Northern Adventure ferry is suitable for the stormy waters off B.C.'s north coast, and Monday's aborted voyage, which saw the vessel return to shore because of high winds, is bound to add to the controversy.

Passengers and goods travelling on the 117-metre BC Ferries ship were tossed around in a severe storm along the ferry's regular route between Prince Rupert and the Queen Charlotte Islands, forcing the vessel to return to the mainland.

The ferry, which can carry 600 passengers and crew and 100 vehicles, has been known as the Northern Adventure only for a little over two years. Before it began ferrying passengers in B.C. in March 2007, the Greek-made vessel operated out of Barcelona, Spain, as the Sonia.

"I've said before that this ferry is not suitable for the north," said B.C. New Democrat MLA Gary Coons, who represents the riding of North Coast. "It's great for the Mediterranean."

Coons said the Northern Adventure has a reputation for instability, even in calm waters.

Ship has unsavoury nickname
"This ferry has had a litany of concerns, right from the very beginning, when it was known as the 'vomit comet'," Coons said.

BC Ferries bought the vessel for $50 million to replace the Queen of the North, which sank in 2006.

After only a month in operation in B.C. waters, the Northern Adventure was pulled from service for a refit.

There were numerous problems with everything from the elevators to the heating system, to the toilets.

Coons said Monday's experience left many people badly shaken and has added to the ship's mixed reputation among passengers.

"They are concerned with going on the ferry again," said Coons.

New ferry needs work, faces refit Friday, April 27, 2007

$1:
Less than a month after its introduction, BC Ferries' newest ship is being pulled from service for a 10-day refit to deal with a host of onboard problems.

The MV Northern Adventure, which replaced the Queen of the North on the northern service, made its maiden voyage under BC Ferries colours on March 31.

It had been compared to a cruise ship and was billed as the centrepiece of the corporation's plans for an enhanced travel service along the B.C. coast.

But there have been a host of problems reported with the new vessel.

BC Ferries had to apologize to a passenger who had just had knee surgery because the elevators, the escalators and even a robotic wheelchair didn't work and she had a long and painful trek up and down the stairs during her trip.

She also reported problems with the public address system, the heat in some cabins and problems with toilets and phones.

Another passenger told CBC Radio that there have been problems with the alarm system and that used water from the sinks and showers backed up and flooded the galley during her trip.

Earlier, there had been a 24-hour delay on a southbound voyage to Port Hardy, which included a fire extinguisher on the vehicle deck that came loose and released dry chemicals, setting off the smoke alarm.

In a release Friday, the corporation said, "the Northern Adventure has been experiencing some issues following its initial introduction."

The ship will be out of service from May 9-19, undergoing a refit at the Deas Pacific Marine facility on the Fraser River in Richmond.

The northern routes will be served during that time by the Queen of Prince Rupert, which has just undergone a five-week refit.

Brenda @ Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:29 pm

So when you buy a used ship, you don't check it? You don't do a "home inspection"? Please. Especially when you buy from the Spanish, who are filthy and known to not take care of their shit...

ridenrain @ Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:44 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
I think Conservatives don't like ferries just because of the homonym. They also don't like the word "homonym" and would really rather they were not homosapiens.

Oh do please go on.. :roll:

Lemmy @ Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:45 pm

ridenrain ridenrain:
Lemmy Lemmy:

You said you didn't much mind BC ferries. That's all.

Gunnair @ Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:05 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
ridenrain ridenrain:
Lemmy Lemmy:

You said you didn't much mind BC ferries. That's all.

Way to go. Riden, even now, is sucking his thumb and rocking back and forth as he tries to master his rage.

Obama would have been dumb enough to take the ferry out too...

1  2  Next