Canada Kicks Ass
Canadian Comparisons Appreciated

1964-D-Peace @ Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:17 pm

Very interesting excerpt from a GI Special article I read. Just wondering if comparable "prices" were a reality once in Canada as well.... ^_^'

$1:
Comments Made In The Year 1957:
[From DD, Marine Corps vet]

"I'll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it's going to be impossible to buy a week's groceries for $20."

"Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won't be long before $2000 will only buy a used one."

"If cigarettes keep going up in price, I'm going to quit. A quarter for a pack is ridiculous."

"Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging a dime just to mail a letter?"

"If they raise the minimum wage to $1, nobody will be able to hire outside help at the store."

"When I first started driving, who would have thought gas would someday cost 29 cents a gallon. Guess we'd be better off leaving the car in the garage."

"It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few married women are having to work to make ends meet."

"It won't be long before young couples are going to have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work."

"Thank goodness I won't live to see the day when the Government takes half our income in taxes. I sometimes wonder if we are electing the best people to congress."

"There is no sense going to Lincoln or Omaha anymore for a weekend. It costs nearly $15 a night to stay in a hotel."

"No one can afford to be sick any more; $35 a day in the hospital is too rich for my blood."

Aaaaah, inflation, inflation.....

Wherefore Art Thou?

Tman1 @ Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:29 pm

I remember when I was in Alberta and I paid 70c a litre and ahhh yah, those were the days.

Tman1 @ Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:35 pm

lily lily:
That was last week. :P

No actually it was 2 years ago but ok.

Erinites @ Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:59 am

Filled up @ 84.3 last night.

Sunoco.
Hillsburgh,Ontario.

"My tank is never half full, just half empty"

canadian1971 @ Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:32 am

Eatting burrito= free gas! :lol:

89.9 in Calgary.......... :roll:

Alta_redneck @ Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:14 am

Man this thread can really date a person, when Canada first went metric a liter of gas was .17c. It took a while for small town Alberta to switch over, and on a ski trip to Banff, we drove through Calgary and saw this price. First thought that crossed our mines was " what a gas price war." This was 1974 /75 and I believe a room in Banff was around $28 a night for a double, and a days skiing was $15.

RUEZ @ Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:34 am

Alta_redneck Alta_redneck:
Man this thread can really date a person, when Canada first went metric a liter of gas was .17c.
IMO I think this is why we get gouged more up here. It's easier for governments to add tax to a litre of gas because it doesn't seem so expensive.But if we still measured it in gallons then we might put up more of a fuss.

spikedriver @ Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:05 am

You guys must then recall a Prime Minister being booed for making his government look stupid for stating that he was going to raise the gas in Canada by 19 cents a gallon and lock it in for a couple of years.

His name was Joe Clarke and the average Canadian tax payer looked at him as if he had screws loose in his head. However ...
After his office was disolved the next governments jacked the price up in that 2 years well over 19 cents.

I purchased my first motor bike in '75 and the price of gas here in NB was the same price as a pack of smokes. 75 cents. When we went to the metic system the prices wet up and the volumes went down. It was blamed on packaging changes and compliance to government regulations.
I really look forward to the coming months of tourism and hotter prices.

Ah the good old days when a dollar still got you not much.

spikedriver @ Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:09 am

Come to think of itFilled up my 3 cars at 99.9 lst night
if you turned that price upsie down it is the mark of the beast and the gas companies are playing hell with my wallet.