Canada Kicks Ass
Carbon Credits making markets

Scape @ Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:58 am

Market Watch

Canadaka @ Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:16 pm

what is this?

spikecomix @ Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:17 pm

People are valuing carbon more highly in stock...? maybe...?

Scape @ Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:32 pm

about

$1:
The Ecosystem Marketplace seeks to become the world’s leading source of information on markets and payment schemes for ecosystem services; services such as water quality, carbon sequestration and biodiversity. We believe that by providing solid and trust-worthy information on prices, regulation, science, and other market-relevant issues, markets for ecosystem services will one day become a fundamental part of our economic and environmental system, helping give value to environmental services that have, for too long, been taken for granted.
But markets—and environmental markets in particular—do not run on will alone. They require sound policy, strong science, and most of all, timely and transparent information. For markets to work, people need to know they exist, and participants need to see, with clarity and ease, who is buying, who is selling, and at what price. There also needs to be a clear understanding of the policy changes that drive these markets, as well as the science that underpins them.

That is what this service, this Ecosystem Marketplace, is all about. We seek to become a one-stop-shop of timely and transparent information on the emerging markets and payment schemes for ecosystem services. We will cover information that is so essential to the proper functioning of any market: prices, transactions, how the services are measured, packaged and sold, as well as the location of buyers and sellers. Additionally, we will be convening policy change that affects these schemes and the impact of these markets on the ecosystems themselves and on low-income producers and community groups in developing countries.

Mukluk @ Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:40 pm

There are actually brokers and markets out there for CO2, SO, SO2 and other greenhouse gases.

Large industry has limits placed on it for annual production of greenhouse gases. There is now a market that allows companies to buy/sell/trade credits. A facility that will come in under its targets can sell to a company that comes in above its targets etc.

CO2 credits are a global market. This means that a company in Lloydminster can buy credits from a farmer in Brazil.

SOx credits are purely a power production market, I believe.

I think this is what this thread is about, I could be mistaken.

m

1964-D-Peace @ Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:35 pm

Kewl, I can plant some pine trees and sell them into the industrial sector as a carbon sink! Sweet x 10. ^_^

No but seriously, something like this must require more exposure than its being given, if at least to relieve sentiments that this is all a gimmick to capitalize on Kyoto. If anyone can trade and value pork bellies, why couldn't they value water quality and air quality even more so?