Canada Kicks Ass
Disney Financial Disaster | CEO Iger Returns and Struggles

1  2  Next

Scape @ Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:40 pm

DrCaleb @ Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:58 am

Good.

FieryVulpine @ Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:48 am

Shouldn't have bought 20th Century Fox for $71B.

DrCaleb @ Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:54 am

All that money spent on Politicians to re-write copyright laws, up in smoke.

Only good things for art and creativity can come from Disney's demise.

But I doubt it will ever happen.

FieryVulpine @ Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:29 am

Wouldn't other studios fight tooth and nail to extend copyright laws anyway? For example, I don't think AT&T/Warnermedia would want to give up copyright on Looney Tunes, Superman, and Batman. Not that I would terribly mind someone else's take on the Man of Steel or Dark Knight. The current Brian Michael Bendis run had me leave Superman and Action Comics, and oh lord, his Legion of Super-Heroes is awful.

DrCaleb @ Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:48 am

FieryVulpine FieryVulpine:
Wouldn't other studios fight tooth and nail to extend copyright laws anyway? For example, I don't think AT&T/Warnermedia would want to give up copyright on Looney Tunes, Superman, and Batman. Not that I would terribly mind someone else's take on the Man of Steel or Dark Knight. The current Brian Michael Bendis run had me leave Superman and Action Comics, and oh lord, his Legion of Super-Heroes is awful.

It's not that they want to protect their work, it's that they want it protected forever when many Constitutions, including the US's, specify limited. The US even makes other countries follow US law on copyright when they negotiate trade deals, even if those laws change over time or cause the other countries laws to become more strict.

Disney has taken many folk stories; Aladdin, Snow White, Pinocchio, Cinderella, that were 'public domain' and not subject to copyright and effectively privatized them. Sure, you could make a movie based on the traditional Chinese story of Hula Mulan, but Disney's lawyers will destroy anyone who tries even if they are unlikely to win in court.

Since Disney first made "Steam Boat Willie" in 1928 they have fought to make sure that Disney IP will never enter the Public Domain through copyright expiration. Many feel this lack of expiration hurts art in that new ideas can't be based on old because of the threat of the army of lawyers ready to pounce.

FieryVulpine @ Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:01 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Disney has taken many folk stories; Aladdin, Snow White, Pinocchio, Cinderella, that were 'public domain' and not subject to copyright and effectively privatized them. Sure, you could make a movie based on the traditional Chinese story of Hula Mulan, but Disney's lawyers will destroy anyone who tries even if they are unlikely to win in court.

Very true. Disney makes a killing off its Princesses line via merchandising.

bootlegga @ Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:14 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
All that money spent on Politicians to re-write copyright laws, up in smoke.

Only good things for art and creativity can come from Disney's demise.

But I doubt it will ever happen.

R=UP

Yep, I would shout from the rooftops if they filed for bankruptcy and got bought out by a competitor, or better yet, sliced up into pieces and sold off to a bunch of competitors.

Disney projects this nice friendly facade, but their history shows them to be anything but. They may not have toppled governments like some other multi-nationals, but they are despicable and I will shed exactly zero tears at their demise.

Scape @ Tue May 05, 2020 2:19 pm

CDN_PATRIOT @ Tue May 05, 2020 2:45 pm

Good riddance. Pardon me if I don't feel sorry for an ultra-rich company that destroyed Star Wars. Fuck you, Disney.

-J.

Scape @ Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:24 pm

Wow.

BartSimpson @ Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:39 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Good.

x2.

BartSimpson @ Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:41 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Since Disney first made "Steam Boat Willie" in 1928 they have fought to make sure that Disney IP will never enter the Public Domain through copyright expiration. Many feel this lack of expiration hurts art in that new ideas can't be based on old because of the threat of the army of lawyers ready to pounce.

R=UP

PluggyRug @ Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:41 pm

Yes WOW!

Scape @ Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:25 pm

1  2  Next