Previous  1  2  3  Next

BRAH @ Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:41 pm

The future of all Sears stores.

BeaverFever @ Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:48 pm

BRAH BRAH:

The future of human civilization

xerxes @ Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:48 pm

Here's a good article on why Sears has turned into a disaster.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sears-failing-stores-closing-edward-lampert-bankruptcy-chances-2017-1

BRAH @ Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:53 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
BRAH BRAH:

The future of human civilization

The Walking Dead. 8O

xerxes xerxes:

http://www.businessinsider.com/sears-failing-stores-closing-edward-lampert-bankruptcy-chances-2017-1

What Sears is what's facing is what every retailer is facing, lack of available merchandise which forces consumers to go online to Amazon or the vendor that has they're looking for.

xerxes @ Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:56 pm

True but other retailers have adapted. Walmart is still going strong as is HBC. Sears problems stem mainly from the management side, market trends are exacerbating them.

Freakinoldguy @ Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:03 am

xerxes xerxes:

$1:
Although Sears department stores continue to operate at a loss in the United States, it’s unlikely the American company’s woes will affect Sears Canada’s stores, according to retail analysts. But that doesn’t mean Sears Canada is doing well.

“The American Sears owns a percentage of the Canadian Sears but they do operate separately, as far as they are two separate corporations,” said Craig Patterson, an applied researcher at the University of Alberta’s School of Retailing.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3109680/sears ... -analysts/

Two different companies with two different sets of problems and while the outlook for Sears Canada looks bleak it's absolutely radiant when compared to the US one. So, with any luck this restructuring and a more effective campaign to compete with crap stores like Walmart may just keep them going. Oh and maybe the biggest benefit they have over US Sears Chain is that they don't have a sociopath leaning person named Lampert and the helm. 8O

But, overcoming online shopping may be the biggest hurdle they face. If they can transfer some of the old school methods that made them a retail giant in the catalog business to the online shopping business they'll have a shot and here's hoping because, at my age I don't want to be stuck shopping at Wallyworld or on online. :(

Sunnyways @ Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:30 pm

And now the usual doubts about the pension plan emerge:

http://globalnews.ca/news/3579070/what- ... efits-are/

Given the way DB plans are heading in the private sector (in the direction of the dodo), govs will be under pressure to trim similar bennies for their workers. I hope to enjoy a little bit of my PS DB plan but fully expect it to be 'enhanced' downwards in the future as my government runs out of money.

BeaverFever @ Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:27 pm

Another thought, tying in to the recent thread about disappearing Chef Boyardee, etc. In many ways I think it's the same phenomenon: people want lowest price discount brand or they want what they perceive to be high quality. Sears and Chef Boyardee and the like are neither.

Jabberwalker @ Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:55 pm

That was REALLY EERIE for me because I have been in many malls while they were under construction or renovation over the last thirty years ... 100+ all over North America and I have derived a lot of my income from fixturing their tennants. Almost never seen one at he end of it's life.

I was in the old, abandoned food court area of the Toronto Eaton Centre about five years ago (...not the food court where that innocent teenager got shot in the head ... the one that it replaced) It was in operation for decades. Anyway, one of the walls moved ... the whole freaking wall! Remember the scene in Lord of the Rings down in the Mines of Moria where the ceilings, pillars, galleries were alive with millions of Orcs?

Cockroaches ... millions of them. Maybe, that's why they had to move the food court. I haven't looked lately to see if there are tennants in that sector, again. They'd better not be squeemish.

Jabberwalker @ Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:59 pm

xerxes xerxes:

They started out as a catalog store and they've been wiped out by Amazon .a modern-day catalog store.

herbie @ Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:59 pm

Feeling sorry for a guy a know who had 32 years at the Kamloops store. Now they want to screw him out of his pension too.
2 people I know in the last couple months who were hard working loyal employees that brought customers in the door by the fact THEY worked for their two companies, screwed over by Korporate Bullshit.

Tricks @ Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:39 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
But it's also an object lesson that all of us need to keep current to remain relevant.

I'm not that crazy about Amazon, because I like to see and feel what I'm buying before I buy it.

The last time I was in a department store was when I broke the last in a set of my favourite whisky glasses. I went all over the city to try to find a good crystal glasses, and found that exactly nobody sells them anymore. You can get glass, but no one had good lead crystal (conical, pinwheel design, handcut).

But type it in to Amazon, and you have 5 or 6 different suppliers, all with what I'm looking for. And not just glasses, but vitamin supplements and dashcams and raspberry pi sensor kits . . .

I might not like Amazon, but they do fulfill a need that other stores just don't seem to anymore.

I love amazon. I keep two memberships, prime and costco. Nothing else is worth it.

JaredMilne @ Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:16 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
In my mind there's a huge middle ground in the brick and mortar world between dollar stores and Walmart on the low end and The Bay and specialty stores on the high end. That's what Target was supposed to fill but they shit the bed.

Oddly enough, I would have considered The Bay to actually fill that middle ground you're talking about. It's where I've bought all my jeans and even a good amount of my work attire.

That said, it looks like Sears' problems were two-fold. First, as Bart pointed out they got complacent and failed to keep up both with online realtors and competitors like The Bay.

However, you've also the vulture capitalists tearing it up and walking away with all the good parts, while the lowly peons are left to try and make do with the dregs of what's left:

http://ipolitics.ca/2017/07/07/no-refun ... apitalism/

Sunnyways @ Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:33 pm

The creative destruction of capitalism, like other related aspects of the free market such as globalization and automation, is something we should monitor to ensure that the suffering of ordinary workers is minimized. It depresses the heck out of me to hear that our fellow citizens may lose the pensions long promised to them. I rarely agree with Steve Bannon but I liked his line that went something like 'we're a nation with an economy, not an economy in some sort of global marketplace'

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... 91e3980a08

Clearly, he was talking more about international free/fair trade there but I think it applies within our borders too. The low income casualties of corporate warfare deserve more protection.

The news of disruption in this market is not surprising, though. I have rarely bought anything from Sears in recent years. For an outback Canucklehead like myself, Amazon has been a godsend. Wrong as usual, I thought the appearance of such choices and other gifts of the internet would decentralize work but that has not been the case; nearly all the young ones want to live in the city now, whatever the cost.

Sunnyways @ Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:55 pm

herbie herbie:
Feeling sorry for a guy a know who had 32 years at the Kamloops store. Now they want to screw him out of his pension too.
2 people I know in the last couple months who were hard working loyal employees that brought customers in the door by the fact THEY worked for their two companies, screwed over by Korporate Bullshit.

Sickening stuff.

Previous  1  2  3  Next