Canada Kicks Ass
Sears canada going tits up?

Previous  1  2  3

BeaverFever @ Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:06 pm

JaredMilne JaredMilne:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:
In my mind there's a huge middle ground in the brick and mortar world between dollar stores and Walmart on the low end and The Bay and specialty stores on the high end. That's what Target was supposed to fill but they shit the bed.

Oddly enough, I would have considered The Bay to actually fill that middle ground you're talking about. It's where I've bought all my jeans and even a good amount of my work attire.

That said, it looks like Sears' problems were two-fold. First, as Bart pointed out they got complacent and failed to keep up both with online realtors and competitors like The Bay.

However, you've also the vulture capitalists tearing it up and walking away with all the good parts, while the lowly peons are left to try and make do with the dregs of what's left:

http://ipolitics.ca/2017/07/07/no-refun ... apitalism/

Yeah not everything in The Bay is "upscale" and some of the smaller locations in the burbs and small towns are definitely less fancy but overall I would say they've headed to the higher end of the market. Look at all their HBC heritage tricolour line, that stuff is expensive. Sears doesn't have anything like that and I don't know they ever could without it becoming a punchline.

herbie @ Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:21 am

Here in a historic Hudson's Bay town we saw it go from The Bay to The Northern (a lower end version) to that closing and now it's Red Apple a glorified DollarStore.
The Sears catalogue went from it's own store to a dusty desk in the back of the real dollar store that only a few seniors still go to.
The Post Office there's people pouring out all day with armfulls of parcels they ordered online....
Retail going through a huge change, even more so in smaller places.
It's now a 100 mile drive to buy furniture, appliances, clothing. And some people wonder why pickup trucks outsell sedans....

Sunnyways @ Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:25 pm

Something else to look forward to:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... left#img-4

Previous  1  2  3