Canada Kicks Ass
The News Industry Is Being Destroyed

Scape @ Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:54 am

BartSimpson @ Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:30 pm

I'd care about the news industry if they were actually reporting the news instead of parroting orchestrated opinions.

PluggyRug @ Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:42 pm

"News industry" is an oxymoron run by people missing the oxy.

Scape @ Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:52 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
I'd care about the news industry if they were actually reporting the news instead of parroting orchestrated opinions.

You mean like Amazon or Sinclair?

It's the reason why I patron Canadaland. A strong independent media that is willing to examine the entire platform.

Tricks @ Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:09 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

You're right, the conservative leaning Sinclair Media Group is a significant problem.

rickc @ Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:09 pm

I used to love reading the newspaper every day. I also used to love playing 8 tracks in my car stereo. Times change. Tech comes and goes. Newspapers are the dinosaur of the news world. They start printing them the day before they are delivered. The news is old by the time you buy the paper. All those millions of trees cut down. I'm sorry but the newspaper has had its heyday. Its on its way out. I do not see anything saving them.

Strutz @ Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:13 pm

rickc rickc:
I used to love reading the newspaper every day. I also used to love playing 8 tracks in my car stereo. Times change. Tech comes and goes. Newspapers are the dinosaur of the news world. They start printing them the day before they are delivered. The news is old by the time you buy the paper. All those millions of trees cut down. I'm sorry but the newspaper has had its heyday. Its on its way out. I do not see anything saving them.

I remember the days of subscribing and receiving the daily paper and reading it all. It eventually got to the point of them stacking up on the table until recycling day when I would turf them. I gradually only really read the sports (Canucks mostly), editorial section and comics.

Locally where I live there used to be 2 community-based newspapers (free) that each published twice a week. Then one folded. The other continued but went down to one issue per week. They are now appealing to the public for donations to continue. It always comes stuffed with flyers and half the paper is advertising so I see it gradually just having its online version, which I go to anyway as not everything they report on is in the printed version anyway.

rickc @ Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:25 pm

I actually worked at a newspaper for a short time at 17.They had a morning and evening edition. The Sunday paper was the size of a New York City yellow pages. It could kill someone if you dropped it off a three story building it was so big and heavy. I worked in the inserts department. We added the advertisements to different sections: food, entertainment,etc., all week long getting ready for the Sunday paper. Monday to Saturday night. It took all week long to get the Sunday paper ready as there were so many adds. It was 90% adds.

I can't remember the last time that I seen someone using a paper coupon in a store. This virus is only going to make it worse for the newspapers. No one is going to want to touch a sweaty,dirty, crumpled up paper coupon any more. We get more "touchless" every day. This will only speed up the demise of the newspaper.

DrCaleb @ Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:19 am

rickc rickc:
This will only speed up the demise of the newspaper.

I used to get a New York Times and Pravda on Tuesday and Thursday mornings between classes at University. The course right after was Russian language course, hence the pricey Pravda. ;) I read The National Post and Edmonton Journal every morning.

Gone are the days when a story took 6 months of investigative journalism before it broke. It's just the times we live in. News has to be delivered faster than everyone else, facts and story be damned.

CharlesAnthony @ Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:25 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
I recommend that you use it to your advantage to identify patterns.
Far be it for me to tell you how to read the news but the parrotting of propaganda is how a lowly member of the consumer economy can discern their lies.
To put it a different way, the truth is discerned by noticing inconsistencies among their stories.

The truth is out there, hidden in plane site, for those with ears to see and eyes to hear.

rickc @ Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:57 am

I'll take the blue pill. :D