Canada Kicks Ass
American Thinking of Moving to Canada

Previous  1 ... 5  6  7  8  9  10  11 ... 13  Next

ASLplease @ Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:56 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
cougar cougar:
This is my example on how statistical data can be distorted. Unemployment is measured on the basis of EI claims, not on the number of jobless people looking for work.

Wrong. Statistics Canada doesn't consult EI when it measures unemployment.

8O [?]

Lemmy @ Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:06 pm

ASLplease ASLplease:

8O [?]

Why are you shocked?

Scape @ Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:08 pm

Wait lists

$1:
Definitions

Median Wait Time: Of all the people who have had their surgery in the past three months, half will have waited less than the median wait time.

Priority 1 (Urgent) - in the opinion of the physician, the individual's health may be significantly compromised if the procedure is not performed within about two weeks of submitting the booking form to the hospital.

Priority 2 & 3 - in the opinion of the physician, the surgery can be appropriately scheduled two weeks or more after submitting the booking form to the hospital.

Day Patient - procedure is performed in hospital but does not require an overnight stay.

Inpatient - procedure is performed in hospital, requires an overnight stay and requires resources associated with greater severity of illness or more intensive surgery.

If Dashes - no patients had surgery in this category by this surgeon in the previous three months.

Wait time Faq

$1:
* In 2008/09, British Columbia will have increased the number of knee replacements by 155 per cent and increased hip replacements by 70 percent since 2001.
* The median wait time for hip replacements is now 11.1 weeks compared to 18.7 weeks seven years ago, while the wait for knee replacements has decreased to 17.0 weeks from 25.4 in that same time.
* The province expects to complete approximately 448,000 CT exams in 2008/09, an increase of about 86 per cent from approximately 240,000 in 2001.
* The province expects to complete approximately 98,000 MRI exams in 2008/09, an increase of about 163 per cent from approximately 37,000 in 2001.
* The median wait time for radiotherapy for cancer care is one week.
* B.C. has achieved the BC Cancer Agency’s recognized benchmark of 90 percent of patients waiting four weeks or less for radiotherapy.
* The median wait time for open heart surgery has been cut from 15.1 weeks in 2001/02 to 9 weeks in 2007/08.
* The Government of B.C. has invested over $150 million specifically to reduce wait times for cardiac, diagnostic and joint replacement and to build more capacity in the health care system.
* B.C. did 475,000 surgeries in 2007/08. Around half of those surgeries were emergency surgeries and were never placed on any waiting list.
* In the last report card issued by the Wait Times Alliance in April 2008, B.C. received four A’s and one B for their progress in ensuring people are being treated in a reasonable time for joint replacement, cancer care, cataract surgery and cardiac care.
* Between 2001 and 2008, the province has increased the number of cataract surgeries by approximately 42 per cent and increased the number of angioplasties, a heart procedure, by 55 per cent.
* Innovative, new programs are improving patient wait times in emergency departments. For example,
o In 2008/09, Streaming at Kelowna General Hospital decreased the time to see a physician for lower acuity patients, despite increases in overall Emergency department volumes. As well, the KGH streaming project led to a lower percentage of patients left without being seen.
o Data from the Emergency department pay-for-performance pilot in Vancouver Coastal Health shows improvement in admitted patients receiving a bed within ten hours of arrival and lower acuity patients being discharged faster.

So for the foot, it would end up being a cat 3 and depending on where your located at will determine how the total wait. However, if you deem it necessary and it is impeding your day to day activities it can be reassessed and that would move you up. The other option is to find another local with a shorter que or failing that another country outright.

Right now if you do decide to travel and maintain cover then basic coverage is still paid for in Canadian terms. So if you go to the UK for example and they charge $500 and the Canadian version would be $250 then your coverage would be good for $250 for hospital and doctor visits.

Beyond that however there is nothing set up to network the provincial health care with other health care providers. When you travel abroad because of wait times domestically they can only adjudicate on a case by case basis deemed upon medical need.

Scape @ Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:16 pm

Out-of-Country Claim

$1:
This form should be completed to claim for in-patient hospital charges incurred outside Canada and medical services such as doctors' visits, X-rays and laboratory tests received in Quebec or outside Canada. It can also be used in those circumstances where medical sevices were received in any other Canadian province or territory but MSP was not billed directly by the service provider.

cougar @ Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:23 pm

I'll wrap up my participation in this threat with a few general comments.

1. Canada just like the US is big and climate and scenarry vary from province to province and place to place. I like BC for the outdoors opportunities it offers. (hiking and fishing)

2. Jobs - it is a nightmare to get a good job because of the lunatic immigration policy

3. Real estate / Rent - costs are high (again due to immigration)

4. Safety - Still safer than US

5 Healthcare - I find it unsatisfactory because of the wait times and the inconvenient clinic schedules. I never needed medical treatment while in US so I cannot tell how it is there.

6 Girls - some pretty ones but I cannot relate to them - I'd have to give it a score of zero.

7 Entertainment - never had enough money to enjoy it. (maybe this was the problem on point 6 as well :mrgreen: )

8 People - many different cultures trying to co-exist together. You are always welcome as a customer. Due to the high unemployment, some tension can be felt when it comes to getting a job or keeping it. Under constant compentition people tend to get less friendly and they also tend to lose their natural curiousity as well as sense of humour.

9 Taxes - income tax of 20-30% can be expected. In addition the GST, PST (HST) will add another 6-15% on goods and services on what's left.

10 Insurance - car, health, property........big money going down the drain

11 Services - Canada post rates are much higher than the USPS and they also collect sales taxes and duties on your international purchases

Not sure how the phone / cable / internet / hydro rates compare to those in the States

12 Government subsidised programs - there are many. Wage subsidy, child care subsidy, subsidised housing, health insurance subsidy. There are programs that can offer you free education too or support with starting a new business. Then there is the employment insurance and welfare

If it wasn't for fishing, hiking and exploration, and if I still had an option I'd be long gone from here.

RUEZ @ Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:27 pm

cougar cougar:
If it wasn't for fishing, hiking and exploration, and if I still had an option I'd be long gone from here.

Let me know if I can help you leave.

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:45 pm

cougar cougar:

1. Canada just like the US is big and climate and scenarry vary from province to province and place to place. I like BC for the outdoors opportunities it offers. (hiking and fishing)

2. Jobs - it is a nightmare to get a good job because of the lunatic immigration policy

5 Healthcare - I find it unsatisfactory because of the wait times and the inconvenient clinic schedules. I never needed medical treatment while in US so I cannot tell how it is there.

6 Girls - some pretty ones but I cannot relate to them - I'd have to give it a score of zero.

7 Entertainment - never had enough money to enjoy it. (maybe this was the problem on point 6 as well :mrgreen: )

8 People - many different cultures trying to co-exist together. You are always welcome as a customer. Due to the high unemployment, some tension can be felt when it comes to getting a job or keeping it. Under constant compentition people tend to get less friendly and they also tend to lose their natural curiousity as well as sense of humour.

9 Taxes - income tax of 20-30% can be expected. In addition the GST, PST (HST) will add another 6-15% on goods and services on what's left.

11 Services - Canada post rates are much higher than the USPS and they also collect sales taxes and duties on your international purchases

Not sure how the phone / cable / internet / hydro rates compare to those in the States

12 Government subsidised programs - there are many. Wage subsidy, child care subsidy, subsidised housing, health insurance subsidy. There are programs that can offer you free education too or support with starting a new business. Then there is the employment insurance and welfare

Have you traveled much? While Canadian health care isn't the best that it should be, it is far better than 90% of the rest of the world. As for taxes, again not as low as they shouldbe, but definitely lower than many other nations in the developed world. If the fishing, hiking and exploration are the only things keeping you there....you can do all of that in lots of other places.

Brenda @ Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:24 am

Why would you want to compare everything to the US? The world is soooooo much bigger than North America...

DrCaleb @ Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:53 am

cougar cougar:
OK, I'll be using thicker socks for one more year and hopefully the lump does not get bigger.....
By the looks of it, it was MrCaleb who threw the rock in my garden for no apparent reason.

No apparent reason? The guy tells you about his wife being diagnosed with MS, and you think it's a joke. Worthy of my first negative rep point.

Yogi @ Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:27 am

cougar cougar:

I think that a 'basic high school education' would have gone a looong way in improving your outlook/chances as regards #'s 6&7!

cougar @ Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:34 am

Brenda Brenda:
Why would you want to compare everything to the US? The world is soooooo much bigger than North America...

What is the title of this thread, Brenda? Yeah, I could compare the houses in Canada with those in Europe - solid brick to rotting wood that burns every now and then.

DrCaleb, I am still not sure what you found to be "cold". The comment was on my general experience with the healthcare system. There is good order, nice and clean facilities and equipment, but the service there is slow and cold! Ridiculling someone's illness is the last thing on my mind. I could give you a few negative points too just because I find your avator offending and because you think walking with a hard lump in my heel for two years is OK.

Yogi, I agree with you. The bad thing is I carried on to University and beyond so I am overcooked now. :lol:

herbie @ Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:05 pm

We're sitting on the porch having a brew after a BBQ and my friend points out a fox crouched like a cat, slowly advancing across the lawn about 30 feet off the porch.
The fox springs and nails a grouse hidden in the bush, and starts walking back with it in it's mouth.
His daughter's stupid dog finally notices us all watching something, and as soon as it clues in it races off after the fox. Well the fox sees the dog gaining and drops the grouse and hightails it into the bush, the dog scoops the grouse and brings it back (like it was trained to retrieve) and surprise!
Dog gets a smack in the head, booted into the house and locked in by his wife, and all the girls spend most of the evening gingerly holding a dead grouse while looking for the fox hole!
Silly tale, but that's one of the reasons I live here.

fifeboy @ Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:14 pm

herbie herbie:
We're sitting on the porch having a brew after a BBQ and my friend points out a fox crouched like a cat, slowly advancing across the lawn about 30 feet off the porch.
The fox springs and nails a grouse hidden in the bush, and starts walking back with it in it's mouth.
His daughter's stupid dog finally notices us all watching something, and as soon as it clues in it races off after the fox. Well the fox sees the dog gaining and drops the grouse and hightails it into the bush, the dog scoops the grouse and brings it back (like it was trained to retrieve) and surprise!
Dog gets a smack in the head, booted into the house and locked in by his wife, and all the girls spend most of the evening gingerly holding a dead grouse while looking for the fox hole!
Silly tale, but that's one of the reasons I live here.

Solution:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Northern-Ontario-Partridge-Ruffed-Grouse/Detail.aspx

Gunnair @ Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:18 pm

[drool]

with

fifeboy @ Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:24 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
[drool]

with

Dinner is looking good.

Previous  1 ... 5  6  7  8  9  10  11 ... 13  Next