Canada Kicks Ass
Americans have little knowledge of Canada: poll

Previous  1  2  3  Next

Gunnair @ Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:53 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
RUEZ RUEZ:
Also I think the PM likes to be addressed as Steven.

Not likely, since his name is Stephen.

fifeboy @ Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:12 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
. Also I think the PM likes to be addressed as Steven.

Tell us it ain't so.

GreenTiger @ Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:15 pm

MaineUSAGuy MaineUSAGuy:
I´m sort of a Canadianphile. Ignoring the obvious Anti Americanism in Canada, its a very beautiful country. :rock:

The capital is Ottawa. :)

Canada is the 2nd largest country on the planet. 8)

The Prime Minister is Stevie Harper. 8O

Its a constitutional monarchy. :D

There are a few of us Canadianphiles here.

MaineUSAGuy @ Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:06 pm

Canada is America´s younger brother its true. We were both British colonies and despite a lot of differences we have similarities due to the British colonial era.

But I do know that Vancouver is nice to look at it and If I was filthy rich I´d live there but Toronto reminds me more of my native NYC. :rock: [B-o]

Gunnair @ Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:09 pm

MaineUSAGuy MaineUSAGuy:
Canada is America´s younger brother its true. We were both British colonies and despite a lot of differences we have similarities due to the British colonial era.

But I do know that Vancouver is nice to look at it and If I was filthy rich I´d live there but Toronto reminds me more of my native NYC. :rock: [B-o]

Younger brother? Not so much.

More like cousins.

EyeBrock @ Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:10 pm

Nah, NYC is waaaaaay better than TO. NYC impressed me totally. It's my favourite city on the planet, next is Honkers.

Toronto ties with Birmingham, England for my 62nd favourite city.

MaineUSAGuy @ Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:17 pm

But off Topic someone asked why do we Americans call ourselves Americans when this hemisphere is known as the Americas. Because were the first sovereign nation in the Americas. [B-o]

Gunnair @ Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:19 pm

MaineUSAGuy MaineUSAGuy:
But off Topic someone asked why do we Americans call ourselves Americans when this hemisphere is known as the Americas. Because were the first sovereign nation in the Americas. [B-o]

Really?

MaineUSAGuy @ Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:23 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
MaineUSAGuy MaineUSAGuy:

Really?

Touche.

RUEZ @ Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:56 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
RUEZ RUEZ:
Also I think the PM likes to be addressed as Steven.

Not likely, since his name is Stephen.

Thank you for pointing out my mistake. However I'm sure he would respond to Steven before he would respond to Stevie.

fifeboy @ Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:11 pm

Well, I don't know what all the fuss is about. I know lots about the U.S.A. I can't figure out, however, why I drove from Vancouver one day to visit their capital Washington. I drove around all day looking for the Lincoln Monument and the Washington Memorial. I couldn't find them anywhere.

Brenda @ Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:18 pm

Just crossing the border is not enough Fifeboy... :lol:

GreenTiger @ Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:14 pm

DanSC DanSC:
Don't feel bad. Americans know even less about Mexico.

Mexico is a drug war infested dump of a nation, it isn't worth the time learn about.

Canada on the other hand is a delight to learn about.

MaineUSAGuy @ Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:20 pm

GreenTiger GreenTiger:
DanSC DanSC:

Mexico is a drug war infested dump of a nation, it isn't worth the time learn about.

Can´t disagree with that fact. Mexico is sadly a corrupt shithole.

Toastmaker @ Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:57 am

MaineUSAGuy MaineUSAGuy:
GreenTiger GreenTiger:
DanSC DanSC:

Can´t disagree with that fact. Mexico is sadly a corrupt shithole.

Sorry - but I must blurt out that you're both dead wrong. I lived there for 11 years, not as a rich, retired pensioner, but working and participating in the society.
Mexico has an enormous amount of charm, beauty, honor and potential. Clearly, neither of you know much about the place to simply focus on sensationalized news accounts of their problems. Of course crime and corruption exist in Mexico - where doesn't it ? Mexico, for countless generations, has been a country of haves and have-nots and has recently been growing a prosperous and energetic middle-class which will be the driving force behind their economy and society.

I have lived in Europe and Mexico and in my sixty years of life found it much easier to make real friends in Mexico then in the US or anywhere else. This alone speaks volumes about their natural congeniality which lives there from the educated, well-off to the poorest basic laborer.

Now that you have been properly chastised for making illegitimate, sweeping generalizations about an entire nation, I know that you are feeling sad and droopy. Just say "mea culpa" and don't do it again. . . :lol:

Previous  1  2  3  Next