Canada Kicks Ass
Americans have little knowledge of Canada: poll

Previous  1  2  3

Toastmaker @ Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:33 am

Hey, you're right! I'll watch out for that - :oops:

Public_Domain @ Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:34 am

No problem, honest mistake. Welcome to CKA by the way.

Have a good one, hope you stick around!

Gunnair @ Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:38 am

Toastmaker Toastmaker:

Don't sweat it. And like the others have said, stick around. We don't often get new blood that hangs on since the locals often scare them off.

Jonny_C @ Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:43 pm

Toastmaker Toastmaker:
Mexico has an enormous amount of charm, beauty, honor and potential. Clearly, neither of you know much about the place to simply focus on sensationalized news accounts of their problems. Of course crime and corruption exist in Mexico - where doesn't it ? Mexico, for countless generations, has been a country of haves and have-nots and has recently been growing a prosperous and energetic middle-class which will be the driving force behind their economy and society.

I have lived in Europe and Mexico and in my sixty years of life found it much easier to make real friends in Mexico then in the US or anywhere else. This alone speaks volumes about their natural congeniality which lives there from the educated, well-off to the poorest basic laborer.

Now that you have been properly chastised for making illegitimate, sweeping generalizations about an entire nation, I know that you are feeling sad and droopy. Just say "mea culpa" and don't do it again. . . :lol:

If there's an aversion on this board to reviving old threads, with a slight re-work this post would certainly be a worthwhile topic for a new one.

BartSimpson @ Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:47 pm

Jonny_C Jonny_C:
If there's an aversion on this board to reviving old threads, with a slight re-work this post would certainly be a worthwhile topic for a new one.

It is just an aversion on this board. On other boards it sometimes results in a ban. For instance, I used to play 'Cybernations' and I got banned from both the forum and the game for posting in a topic that had been inactive for just 30 days. That's a VERY extreme example, but my point is that it is proper etiquette not to revive old topics....UNLESS there is a relevant update to that topic.

Like say there was a topic on the Vancouver Olympics and, say, steroid use. Now you have a story about the same thing with an update that includes, say, a conviction of some athlete.

That would be relevant to the original topic and you'd tag it on there.

Hope that helps.

Brenda @ Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:54 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
Toastmaker Toastmaker:

Don't sweat it. And like the others have said, stick around. We don't often get new blood that hangs on since the locals often scare them off.

Toasty is a good one.
You know we smell the bs from far away, Gunny! And now it actually smells nice!

Anyhow, Toasty, like Gunnair said, don't sweat it and stick around! :P

Jonny_C @ Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:27 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
It is just an aversion on this board. On other boards it sometimes results in a ban. For instance, I used to play 'Cybernations' and I got banned from both the forum and the game for posting in a topic that had been inactive for just 30 days. That's a VERY extreme example, but my point is that it is proper etiquette not to revive old topics....UNLESS there is a relevant update to that topic.

Sorry to extend this old thread.

Of course, like they say, when in Rome do as the Romans do.

I must say this is the first time I have run across this convention. But I've led a sheltered on-line life I guess. My participation in boards, starting in about 2001, has been limited to flight sim boards (quite a few of them actually) and I was a moderator of a very active one for a number of years.

Bottom line, though --- if that's the way things are done here, I'll do my best to adhere to it, and I certainly hope there will be a little leeway if I start the odd thread that evokes the reaction "Hey we dealt with this 2 years ago!" :)

I don't want to p*ss in somebody else's soup. :D

andyt @ Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:30 pm

I don't see the big deal if somebody has something to add to a topic. Just don't expect to much in the way of reply, since everybody's already had their say. OTOH, sometimes it starts things all over again.

Doubt the mods here will ban anybody for it.

Strutz @ Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:43 pm

There are times it's amusing too. A thread from say... 3 years ago will be dredged up and you sift through it anyway and see posts by people that have since vanished and posts of your own that you'd forgotten all about. :lol:

Previous  1  2  3