Canada Kicks Ass
Heading for Ucluelet

Ruxpercnd @ Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:22 am

Yes, I am preparing to visit a new resort at Ucluelet! Now that I got the spelling down, does anybody know where it is? Hint: West of Victoria and three minutes south of the 49th latitude. Do I have to be afraid of bears in Ucluelet? I already had one run-in with a bear at Whistler. But thank goodness he was more interested in chewing on cattail roots than me.

So here is the thing. I need to know what hot spots to visit in Ucluelet? Where is the action?

Taking the Port Angeles to Victoria ferry, spending a night in Victoria then up the great Vancouver Island Highway. And eventually the bright lights of Ucluelet..... ok, I can spell it from memory now....

DrCaleb @ Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:29 am

Have a blast!

andyt @ Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:35 am

If Uclulet is on the west coast of the island. You get there via Port Alberni - quite a drive from Victoria.

Like any small town, or North Vancouver, even, you can encounter the odd bear. Don't know anybody that's afraid of them in those towns tho. The bears are more interested in people's garbage than people.

Very beautiful area with Pacific Rim National Park. Tofino is also worth a visit - it's the more touristy of the two towns.

Haven' been there for years, but I don't recall any hotspots in either town. They're laid back surfing, touristing and fishing towns, as I recall. They're not like Whistler at all. Don't doubt you'll be able to find bars in either town tho.

Hyack @ Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:32 am

The only thing there of any real interest is the ocean, beaches and anything else pertaining to them. Try the Pacific Rim National Park for walking the beach, and definitely keep your eyes open for the glass Japanese fishing floats that constantly wash ashore......along with all the wreckage from the last tsunami I guess....

http://www.longbeachmaps.com/

Gunnair @ Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:55 am

About 4.5 hours from Victoria. Pause at Cathedral Grove near Port Alberni for big trees. Uclulet has a wicked rib joint, there's the Tofino Brewing Co, beaches, surfing (Chesterman Beach is good for novices) there is the Hotsprings at Hotsprings Cove, whale watching, hiking (could give you directions to a WW II Canso (Catalina) wreck) plus tons more! You'll have a blast!

Freakinoldguy @ Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:04 pm

Been there numerous times, both by water and by land. For attractions you`ve got the Pacific trail, but see your bear question for further clarification on that. You`ve also got the Aquarium and Visitor center which might be enjoyable but if it`s nightlife and wild times your after you might want to give the place a wide berth. They`ve got a couple of sports bars but given the population they likely aren`t all that busy unless it`s tourists.

As for the bears, don`t worry and just be aware there aren't many in town since most of them tend to do their shopping and partying in Tofino. :wink:

Good luck and don`t forget to pack your rain gear.