Canada Kicks Ass
My close encounter with Vancouver

Ruxpercnd @ Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:12 pm

Holy Crap! The Hockey riot in Vancouver is just unbelievable. Los Angeles comes to Canada.

Just a musing here.... I left Vancouver a couple of hours before the riot.

To note: At the border crossing into Canada on Monday, I thought the Canadian Border guard was going to bite my head off. I mean, here I am coming to visit, preparing to spend hundreds of dollars during a friendly visit and he was about as serious as it gets about why I am visiting, looking very grim. Didn't even say have nice visit. Smile? No way. Canada is turning schizophrenic-psycho. Where do you train your border guys anyway, Russia?

I was visiting with family members because we had some IntraWest timeshare points to use up and we thought Vancouver would be a nice visit. We had a couple of rooms on twenty-ninth floor of the Sheraton. Needless to say the views were dramatic. One of the rooms looked off to the west towards the airport. My room looked out the other side overlooking downtown. There was a telescope on a tripod there that I used to scope out the other hotel rooms nearby. Darn, nothing juicy to look at. But ya gotta try, I got lucky before. So, we checked out the street life, ate at some kind of Portuguese chicken place, then the next night a little Thai. Visited Stanley Park, Granville Island shopping.

Monday night we found the streets heavily loaded up with police. I was surprised that Vancouver had that many police. And they were pulling over some cars, but everything seemed under control. This was like a big multi-block street party. Someone asked me for the location of the liquor store, me being not much help. We watched the Chinooks lose in Boston while we ate dinner in the restaurant.

Overall I was surprisingly impressed with Vancouver. There is a lot to look at. Even downtown has a lot of small shops that really give the place life. A block away from the Sheraton was a community garden plot. Way cool! My impression is that Vancouver is a totally livable place top to bottom. I saw a lot of intelligent thought given to quality of life.

It is hard to believe that this beautiful place that I was so impressed with would be trashed by rioting Canadians in the next few hours. Now it has just occurred to me that maybe your Russian trained border guard thought I was coming into Canada to make trouble. I bet if I had said anything about hockey, I would have faced maximum whatever.

Seriously, you got some very dissatisfied citizens up there. Where do you stash them during daylight hours? Well, I did get some cool t-shirts.

Gunnair @ Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:13 pm

We have retards like everyone else. Ours just wear Canuck jerseys.

jeff744 @ Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:20 pm

Yeah, we have basically written off Vancouver.

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:24 pm

Ruxpercnd Ruxpercnd:
Where do you train your border guys anyway, Russia?

The same place you train your nasty, surly, never smile, look at everyone like a criminal, Detroit border guards :lol:

rickc @ Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:50 pm

I have traveled all over the world, and would have to say that the majority of first world customs agents are world class dickheads. It is part of their schtick. By acting rude, it instills fear in people who have something to hide. The agents pick up on this fear,and investigate further. People who have nothing to hide usually react with confusion,or disdain. I find that poorer third world countries tend to very polite, as they are glad that I am bringing much needed Dollars into the country.

Blaming a city as large as Vancouver for a very small per cent of their population acting like dickheads is just not fair in my opinion. As a Bruins fan, I watched every game of the series. The real spirit of Vancouver was displayed in Rogers arena after game 7. Thousand of Canuks fans { who payed extreme amounts of money to attend the game I might add} were standing and cheering Thomas receiving the Conn Smythe Trophy. Thousands of Canuks fans showing respect as the Bruins received the Stanley Cup. True hockey fans who have a respect for the game {and put their money where their mouth is} is how Vancouver should be seen by the world. A few hooligans or some dickhead border gaurds,should never be seen as a true representation of a great city, or a great country, IMHO!

DanSC @ Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:01 am

rickc rickc:
I have traveled all over the world, and would have to say that the majority of first world customs agents are world class dickheads.

They're pissed they can't get away with taking bribes.

rickc @ Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:29 am

DanSC DanSC:
rickc rickc:
I have traveled all over the world, and would have to say that the majority of first world customs agents are world class dickheads.

They're pissed they can't get away with taking bribes.

Mabey! I am quite sure that a lot of that is going on on the U.S. Mexican border. If the U.S. Border patrol was actually doing their job, there would not be millions of illegals in the U.S. I willing to bet that if the IRS were to perform lifestyle audits on all Border Patrol Agents, 90% would fail. The numbers would not add up. The States likes to hire Hispanics to work the southern border, because they speak Spanish. Most of them are first generation Americans, having been born to illegal parents. They feel no loyalty to the States. Their loyalty is to illegals trying to sneak in. Mordida is in their blood. They have no problem selling out the States for a few extra bucks. But I do not want to hijack this thread. I honestly feel that Vancouver is getting an undeserved bad rap due to a few dickheads who probally would have caused trouble regardless of the outcome of the game. Win or lose, these dipshits would have been ready to cause trouble. I have no perfect solution for this problem. I just feel that it is not fair to bring down a great city on the actions of a few dickheads.

Canadaka @ Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:36 am

Gunnair Gunnair:

I have a Canucks jersey, so do many of my friends, we are all retards now? I take offence to this.

I've travelled across the BC-Washington border MANY times and sometimes I get nice US or Canadian customs officers, sometimes I don't. No one side is any worse than the other IMO.

Scape @ Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:21 am

rickc rickc:
Blaming a city as large as Vancouver for a very small per cent of their population acting like dickheads is just not fair in my opinion. As a Bruins fan, I watched every game of the series. The real spirit of Vancouver was displayed in Rogers arena after game 7. Thousand of Canuks fans { who payed extreme amounts of money to attend the game I might add} were standing and cheering Thomas receiving the Conn Smythe Trophy. Thousands of Canuks fans showing respect as the Bruins received the Stanley Cup. True hockey fans who have a respect for the game {and put their money where their mouth is} is how Vancouver should be seen by the world. A few hooligans or some dickhead border gaurds,should never be seen as a true representation of a great city, or a great country, IMHO!

I agree and was pleasantly surprised when that happened. It's too bad that outside was a whole other matter.

Gunnair @ Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:30 am

Canadaka Canadaka:
Gunnair Gunnair:

I have a Canucks jersey, so do many of my friends, we are all retards now? I take offence to this.

It's an observation, Trevor and not one to find offence over.

I stated our retards - you know, the ones that flipped cars and looted stores or beat the fuck out of Boston fans - wear Canucks jerseys.

Not that Canucks jersey wearers are retards.

I watched this riot on TV, but I had a front row seat for '94 and spent a couple of hours on Robson St watching the show. Most of the retards there were wearing Canucks jerseys back then as well.

Common theme here is that the retards will link to whatever event will give them the opportunity to get drunk and out of control - in this case, a Canucks game. Bet that if the military and 5,000 police weren't at the Olympics, the street parties there after hockey gold would have likely been ugly as well. Then it would have been retards in team Canada jerseys.

joeleitz @ Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:39 am

Don't think it fair to compare this to the LA riots. There were only a couple hundred people involved. The next day hundreds came down to clean up the area and apologize on behalf of the drunken fools that were involved...in TRUE Canadian fashion.

Ruxpercnd @ Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:50 pm

joeleitz joeleitz:
Don't think it fair to compare this to the LA riots. There were only a couple hundred people involved. The next day hundreds came down to clean up the area and apologize on behalf of the drunken fools that were involved...in TRUE Canadian fashion.

Did you see the riot coverage on tv? I guess you can feel warm and fuzzy about these guys until it happens again. Just a matter of time.