Canada Kicks Ass
Need for National Myths, Canada v. U.S. Food for Thought

Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  Next

DanSC @ Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:16 pm

CommanderSock CommanderSock:
DanSC DanSC:
I think you forgot to read the "for better or for worse" part of my post. Almost 85% of Canada looks like each other. It makes for a less culturally interesting country, but a more stable one.

Some 80% of America looks like each other too.

The number is much closer to 66%

CommanderSock @ Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:25 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Single race?

Sorry mate. This country was founded by two peoples who have had a less than cordial relationship for 1000 years. It's still ongoing.

And when I say 'founded', one lot kicked the arses of the other. It's just difficult to tell who was the victor these days.

Hm, more than 2 peoples. The British were themselves split up between English, Scottish, and Irish, who didn't see eye to eye on most issues, and they certainly aren't the 'same' people even if they do share the Union Jack. Then there was the French colonists who were abandoned by France. Also the natives, the metis, the Chinese immigrant workers in the west, and more recently the 285,000 annual newbies brought into the country from random parts of the world.

And the Dominion itself, the political entity, was heavily influenced by the wealthy English, and later Scottish upper classes.

CommanderSock @ Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:28 pm

DanSC DanSC:
DanSC DanSC:
I think you forgot to read the "for better or for worse" part of my post. Almost 85% of Canada looks like each other. It makes for a less culturally interesting country, but a more stable one.

Some 80% of America looks like each other too.

The number is much closer to 66%

66% Non Hispanic White that is. If your Latinos are included, the number is still 80%, as it always has been throughout history (or thereabouts).

EyeBrock @ Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:46 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Single race?

Sorry mate. This country was founded by two peoples who have had a less than cordial relationship for 1000 years. It's still ongoing.

And when I say 'founded', one lot kicked the arses of the other. It's just difficult to tell who was the victor these days.

Hm, more than 2 peoples. The British were themselves split up between English, Scottish, and Irish, who didn't see eye to eye on most issues, and they certainly aren't the 'same' people even if they do share the Union Jack. Then there was the French colonists who were abandoned by France. Also the natives, the metis, the Chinese immigrant workers in the west, and more recently the 285,000 annual newbies brought into the country from random parts of the world.

And the Dominion itself, the political entity, was heavily influenced by the wealthy English, and later Scottish upper classes.

I thought getting more detailed would be beyond him Sock! Anybody who lives more than about 5 miles away from you in the UK and Eire is your enemy......

EyeBrock @ Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:55 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
JBG JBG:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:
It was a test Fife!
What is a test Fife?

For some, I would give them credit for trying to be witty, but after reading several of your posts I have to ask,"Do you have to concentrate on maintaining the proper order when inhaling and exhaling?"

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
This chick is GREAT! I was tapping my foot instantly! You do know that I have deep Irish roots Fife eh?

Fife, you realize that after having heard that he's developed an urge to a.) blow something up b.)eat a big bowl of Lucky Charms and Guinness or, c.) buy a 200 lbs bag of spuds to avoid going hungry.

I read a good quote about the Irish in the Brit military in a book on mutunies I was just reading;

"The Irish maintained a cheerful and intemperate air of insubordination which infuriated their English officers...."

I'd like to think I'm carrying on with my cheerful and intemperate insubordination in Canada!

Lemmy @ Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:18 pm

...and the yearly cycle of the Mick continues. Irish intemperance builds month after month. By mid-February, they're aggravating just about every other ethnic group. Over the next month, they're so intolerable that even we Scots can hardly put up with them. Then the cycle reaches its crescendo on March 17. With a blurred mixture of Bushmill's (there's no fucking "e" in whisky, by the way, lads), green lager and Flogging Molly, the St. Patrick's Day bender gives way several days of hangover-led silence. From about March 20 to the first of June, the Micks are actually relatively tolerable. Then the cycle of "cheerful and intemperate insubordination" begins to build again.

Thanos @ Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:26 pm

St. Paddy's Day? Say, that reminds me....... 8)

EyeBrock @ Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:40 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
...and the yearly cycle of the Mick continues. Irish intemperance builds month after month. By mid-February, they're aggravating just about every other ethnic group. Over the next month, they're so intolerable that even we Scots can hardly put up with them. Then the cycle reaches its crescendo on March 17. With a blurred mixture of Bushmill's (there's no fucking "e" in whisky, by the way, lads), green lager and Flogging Molly, the St. Patrick's Day bender gives way several days of hangover-led silence. From about March 20 to the first of June, the Micks are actually relatively tolerable. Then the cycle of "cheerful and intemperate insubordination" begins to build again.

You can't help being a Jock Git Lemmy! I still love ya though!

DanSC @ Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:43 pm

66% Non Hispanic White that is. If your Latinos are included, the number is still 80%, as it always has been throughout history (or thereabouts).

Ask those Hispanic whites if they feel White. I'm sure you'll be surprised.

EyeBrock @ Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:47 pm

I don't know why you guys have this thing about Mexicans. They want to be Americans, they don't want to kill you, they don't force their chicks to wear sacks or bags on their heads, they worship the same god (mostly) and all the ones I've met have been good eggs.

DanSC @ Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:26 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
I don't know why you guys have this thing about Mexicans. They want to be Americans, they don't want to kill you, they don't force their chicks to wear sacks or bags on their heads, they worship the same god (mostly) and all the ones I've met have been good eggs.
The vast majority of Americans have nothing against Americans. Thousands legally immigrate to the United States every year.

EyeBrock @ Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:28 pm

Glad to hear it Dan.

ShepherdsDog @ Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:56 pm

DanSC DanSC:

Ask those Hispanic whites if they feel White. I'm sure you'll be surprised.

It's funny how people have this definition of what makes someone 'white' rather than just merely caucasian. A friend of mine who got back from Afghanistan commented how surprised he was to see so many Pashtuns with blond hair and blue eyes as well as red hair and green eyes and complexions that would seem
more at home in the Nordic nations than Afghanistan.

Thanos @ Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:51 pm

Given the bigotry and hatred aimed at Latins, Jews, and Eastern Europeans by the infamous good ol' boys (American and the European/British versions alike), being 'white' seems more about being from certain acceptable parts of Europe rather than from the apparently unacceptable ones. Read once that the WOG line also ran on a north-south axis somewhere along the old German/Polish border. This makes sense considering some of the atrocities and other evils that were inflicted upon those living on the wrong side off the invisible border, and of the shitty treatment they generally received when immigrating to places like North America.

martin14 @ Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:44 am

Thanos Thanos:
Read once that the WOG line also ran on a north-south axis somewhere along the old German/Polish border.

From where the Baltic turns North to the top of the Adriatic.

It's another very old line, culturally, linguistically, economically.

Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  Next