Canada Kicks Ass
Overzealous Big Brother stopping Canadians from entering U.S

Previous  1  2  3  Next

DrCaleb @ Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:34 am

jj2424 jj2424:
As usual the CKA left wing nut bags of nuts like Dr C and BF blame Harper. :P

So who is it that keep sending records of attempted suicides, mental illness, non-criminal convictions and other presumably private information to the US intelligence and security services? Santa Clause?

And you calling me a 'nut bag' is rich. lol

bootlegga @ Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:34 am

It's their country and they can let in whoever they want, but we never should have released private information (like people's health records) to the Americans.

Potvin is partially correct that both governments screwed him over, but this is a perfect example of youthful indiscretions coming back to haunt somebody. You don't have to be lily white as a young person, but anyone carrying around hash oil (however crappy it may have been) should think it might have long term consequences.

BartSimpson @ Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:41 am

saturn_656 saturn_656:
Keep in mind that unless you are an American citizen, you have no right to enter their country. They can keep us out for whatever BS reason they cook up and we can do same.

Then why are Mexicans and all sorts of other Latin Americans being let in and anyone who questions it is being called "racist"?

It's absurd that Canadians are being kept out for trivial reasons while God-knows-who can cross our southern border with impunity.

Thanks, Obama.

martin14 @ Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:42 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
For Martin and Wildrose:

If you read the article, you would notice this line:

$1:
Now Potvin has a U.S. document that says he’s been denied entry into the U.S because he has a criminal record and a Canadian document telling him he doesn’t need a pardon because he has no criminal record

So someone fucked up, and now he will need someone in State to figure it out.

Whoops, maybe not.. he got a conviction.

andyt @ Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:43 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
It's their country and they can let in whoever they want, but we never should have released private information (like people's health records) to the Americans.

Potvin is partially correct that both governments screwed him over, but this is a perfect example of youthful indiscretions coming back to haunt somebody. You don't have to be lily white as a young person, but anyone carrying around hash oil (however crappy it may have been) should think it might have long term consequences.

Exactly why it should be legal. What's so bad about carrying hash oil around vs a 2-4? If he was given a criminal record, this guy would never have achieved the level of career he did, instead remaining in marginal jobs, maybe on welfare or often on EI. How is that a benefit to society?

bootlegga @ Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:48 am

andyt andyt:
bootlegga bootlegga:

Exactly why it should be legal. What's so bad about carrying hash oil around vs a 2-4? If he was given a criminal record, this guy would never have achieved the level of career he did, instead remaining in marginal jobs, maybe on welfare or often on EI. How is that a benefit to society?

I agree that MJ should be legalized (and taxed), but until it is, hash oil is still considered illegal to carry around, while a 2-4 of beer isn't.

I feel for the guy, but the fact is he was carrying the hash oil, not one of his friends.

If you want to carry around illegal items (be they firearms, drugs, stun guns or whatever), you should expect that their maybe be consequences of those actions.

DrCaleb @ Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:52 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
andyt andyt:
bootlegga bootlegga:

I agree that MJ should be legalized (and taxed), but until it is, hash oil is still considered illegal to carry around, while a 2-4 of beer isn't.

I feel for the guy, but the fact is he was carrying the hash oil, not one of his friends.

If you want to carry around illegal items (be they firearms, drugs, stun guns or whatever), you should expect that their maybe be consequences of those actions.

I agree with you there, but I also think that youthful indiscretions should not have permanent repercussions. That was the purpose of the Pardon system.

And we should all be outraged that our government shares such personal details about citizens - and not just with the US, but presumably with all of the 'Five I's'.

martin14 @ Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:57 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

And we should all be outraged that our government shares such personal details about citizens - and not just with the US, but presumably with all of the 'Five I's'.

You think anyone has a choice ? :roll:

bootlegga @ Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:58 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
bootlegga bootlegga:

I agree with you there, but I also think that youthful indiscretions should not have permanent repercussions. That was the purpose of the Pardon system.

In theory, I would agree with you, but the problem lies with defining "youthful indiscretions." What might be relatively minor for you may not be for the next person.

And yes, I agree that the pardon system should still be in place, as it had its place.

As I said, there are three guilty parties (both governments and Potvin himself) in this instance. Harper shouldn't have released the info or abolished the pardon system.

saturn_656 @ Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:59 am

Try being an American and getting into Canada with a DUI on your record, CBSA won't let you in. Impaired driving is a big deal here.

Canadians with an impaired charge however can usually enter the US no problem. It's a minor offence there.

The Americans consider drug offences to be a big deal. So he doesn't qualify for entry.

Brenda @ Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:06 am

One of the locals here was not allowed to cross the border, because she was going to visit her boyfriend (like she had in the past 2 years every other weekend without a problem) and fly to Miami to go on a cruise with him.
The border officials thought she was going to stay illegally and did not let her in.
She has a job here and a daughter that she left in the care of her mother when she was going ON VACATION. (tickets booked, brought and shown).
She did everything right. He now comes here every weekend instead of them taking turns because she can't go to the US.
It is ridiculous.

DrCaleb @ Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:17 am

martin14 martin14:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

The 'government' is elected to represent the interests of the majority of Canadians and do the job that we want them to do. They have exactly the amount of power, accountability and responsibility that we give them.

Yes, people have a choice. They just don't have any motivation to change things because they think that they don't have a choice.

andyt @ Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:28 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Yes, people have a choice. They just don't have any motivation to change things because they think that they don't have a choice it doesn't affect them.

This is also true. Until it does.

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:27 am

Brenda Brenda:
One of the locals here was not allowed to cross the border, because she was going to visit her boyfriend (like she had in the past 2 years every other weekend without a problem) and fly to Miami to go on a cruise with him.
The border officials thought she was going to stay illegally and did not let her in.
She has a job here and a daughter that she left in the care of her mother when she was going ON VACATION. (tickets booked, brought and shown).
She did everything right. He now comes here every weekend instead of them taking turns because she can't go to the US.
It is ridiculous.

The same thing happens coming up here too. Telling the border guards on either side that you're going to visit your b/f or g/f is generally a good enough reason for them to deny entry. Yes it's stupid, but it ain't just the American side that does that.

martin14 @ Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:37 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
martin14 martin14:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

The 'government' is elected to represent the interests of the majority of Canadians and do the job that we want them to do. They have exactly the amount of power, accountability and responsibility that we give them.

Yes, people have a choice. They just don't have any motivation to change things because they think that they don't have a choice.

Sorry, everyone understands what will happen to Canada if we don't play ball with the
US.

Even the Swiss had to knuckle under to the bullshit.

Sucks, but that's life with the Yanks.
They don't always play fair.

Previous  1  2  3  Next