Canada Kicks Ass
What not to do at the US border

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

ASLplease @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:33 am

i can bet that these guys sure get alot of rude people to deal with, i prefer to be the polite and cheerful guy

ASLplease @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:35 am

everytime ive ever crossed the border by land, the officer was very mechanical with their first few questions then they seem to ease up and smile a bit, i know nothing about interogations but it wouldnt surprise me if they are trained to be that way.

EyeBrock @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:59 am

My experiences with US border types have been 100% bad. Everyone has been curt, rude and arrogant. There is no good reason to have this attitude.

From the consistency of bad attitude I have drawn the conclusion that this is how they are trained to be.

I'd say 75% of the Canadian border types have a decent attitude.

I don't know why the Yanks have to be such knobs.

Gunnair @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:17 am

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
My experiences with US border types have been 100% bad. Everyone has been curt, rude and arrogant. There is no good reason to have this attitude.

From the consistency of bad attitude I have drawn the conclusion that this is how they are trained to be.

I was flying into the US to meet my ship and I had to fill in a declaration. There was a big room with a border guard in a booth, a complex labyrinth of lanes to get there, and a little Chinese dragon lady. I stood on the line before the booth (just like the Blues Brothers) was told to fill out the paper which I took to the table which had no pens. I asked the Dragopn for a pen, which she lent with no end of dripping attitude, and she proceeded to stand at my shoulder and ask me no less than three times if I was done with her pen. I then gave the paper to the Border Guard (did I mention he was a sweating 300 lbs with a gun?) and was allowed though. The fact I was in a kilt (which often got doe-eyed stares from the guards) or claimed to be British Columbian before I said Canadian could be why they thought I might have been some kind of northern Mexican.

Generally, though I agree. The guards are cocks. Mind, when I deal with them in the Navy, they are all quite nice to deal with.

Yogi @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:29 am

EyeBrock EyeBrock:

R=UP

The only 'pleasant' experience I have ever had was at the Poker Creek, Ak. crossing! Just not worth the hassle and humiliation. To the point that I don't even have the interest in crossing the border, either driving or flying, again. Everything I want or need is right here.
All my family, brothers, sisters, kids, are frequent travellers. I trully have no desire now. Though I would go back to Ak. in a heartbeat. Beautiful scenery, friendly peeps, wide open, no crowds...
Then of course there is the cost involved. One of my bro's and his wife are off to Vegas tommorow for 5 days. They will bring back some pics and a few trinkets. Seems the 'memories' don't last too long, as they go down there every couple years. On the other hand, For about 1/2 of what they have/will spend for 5 days I have purchased a quad and another go kart, Both of which I expect to have for several years, and many other people will get a lot of use and enjoyment out of!

desertdude @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:40 am

Having seen a lot of cop shows :D I guess they are trained to be super paranoid. How many time have we seen a swarm of officers jump on dudes shouting with knees on the face and back without giving the dude even a chance to understand what they are being told.

PUT YOUR HANDS BEHIND YOUR BACK

miliseconds later : Melee ensues

I understand they have a job to do and look at every one as criminals ( guilty unless proven innocent ) and have to deal with a million Aholes a day, but still.

As for the video clip I'd say both parties were on the wrong.

desertdude @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:00 am

Oh how does pulling your hand away equals to assualt ! at best resisting arrest.

GreenTiger @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:00 am

THis definatly sounds staged. I will say that anytime I have went through any customs officiak from asy country if you just answer the question they ask in a polite way you will run into very little problems.

Being a wise ass to customs officials, and police officers ingeneral, is not a good idea.

Brenda @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:05 am

Not here. At least not the Canadians.

martin14 @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:33 am

EyeBrock EyeBrock:

Funny, it's always been the exact opposite for me.

The US guards were friendly and professional, even when crossing with my bike.

Canadian guards have always been 100% complete moronic assholes.

Brenda @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:36 am

martin14 martin14:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:

For me too.

EyeBrock @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:52 am

martin14 martin14:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:

Maybe it's my accent? Chicks dig it.

martin14 @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:56 am

:lol: :lol: Maybe your hair is too short ;)

GreenTiger @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:06 pm

In might be simply a chemical reaxtion when you take one Border guard in a real rotten mood and you mix mix him with a smart ass visitor.

EyeBrock @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:14 pm

GreenTiger GreenTiger:
In might be simply a chemical reaxtion when you take one Border guard in a real rotten mood and you mix mix him with a smart ass visitor.

Are they ever in a good mood? Seriously, I have never been treated politely and with respect by a US border type on the NY-Ontario border. Ever.

I have to deal with the public, I treat them with respect until they prove otherwise. I honestly think they are either poorly trained in customer service or the particular job-culture condones bad treatment.

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next