Canada Kicks Ass
What not to do at the US border

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Brenda @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:16 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
GreenTiger GreenTiger:
In might be simply a chemical reaxtion when you take one Border guard in a real rotten mood and you mix mix him with a smart ass visitor.

Are they ever in a good mood? Seriously, I have never been treated politely and with respect by a US border type on the NY-Ontario border. Ever.

I have to deal with the public, I treat them with respect until they prove otherwise. I honestly think they are either poorly trained in customer service or the particular job-culture condones bad treatment.

They're just pissed because they weren't hired as cops :lol:

EyeBrock @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:17 pm

I think there may be some truth in that Brenda!

coaster_dot @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:31 pm

They don't need customer service skills though. There jobs is to safely patrol the border. I would rather have someone who is doing there job then someone who is nice to me. Besides, they almost have to treat everyone as if they are a terrorist, up to no good, or a drug smuggler. If they treat everyone nice, chances are when a bad person comes to the border they will get to the other side.

EyeBrock @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:56 pm

What a cop-out coaster.

I'm sorry. I meet plenty of bad people daily too. A bit of courtesy goes a long way.

They may be border guards but they are also the first people I meet going to the US.

If you want everybody to think Yanks are all arrogant wankers with a piss-poor attitude then these guys are doing a great job for you all.

Public_Domain @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:20 pm

I think border guards shouldn't have jobs, :lol:

Well I do, but not as border guards.

They're probably pissed because they're in a shitty little booth all day at work with a bunch of people they probably hate. It's probably a miserable job.

coaster_dot @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:57 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
What a cop-out coaster.

I'm sorry. I meet plenty of bad people daily too. A bit of courtesy goes a long way.

They may be border guards but they are also the first people I meet going to the US.

If you want everybody to think Yanks are all arrogant wankers with a piss-poor attitude then these guys are doing a great job for you all.

Both US and Canada have the same problem with there guards. The only nice border guards I have met are the US ones. Both sides have the same attitude. I sure as hell don't judge Canada on how I am treated at the border. Usually I cross, drive a bit, pull off and stop somewhere and forget all about my crossing experience for the rest of my trip.

And I agree with MR. C...it's gotta be a shitty job. I did parking tolls this summer at a theme park for extra hours. All I had to do was ask where people where going and take money. The job is no where near what border patrols have to do. After the first hour I was dreading my life and I was probably a little short on some guests. I saw rude parking attendants all the time while on my way to work. And I imagine when guests come in they come in contact with a bad parking attendant, but once they step into the park they forget all about it.

SprCForr @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:55 pm

I am so screwed. I haven't had a problem with Canadian or US customs yet so when the law of averages kicks in it's going to be a doozy!

8O

BAT119 @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:02 pm

The guard I dealt with last time was like mall cop with a gun, I tried be short and direct with my answers but miss ironbox was on a power trip and I was her prey, It was 9:00 in the morning on Sunday morning we were the only people at the crossing and she was just bored.
We were Canadians they couldn't refuse us and we didn't have anything to get "caught with" so go ahead take your best shot I thought to myself. I couldn't help but feel somewhat violated by my fellow Canadian calling me a liar, I was defenseless to argue or deny anything because it would only escalate the situation all I could do was take the bullshit.
XD

Thanos @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:51 pm

Wada Wada:
My way of handling US border guards is to stay well away from them. I wouldn't cross the border if I was invited by Mr. Obama himself.

That much is certain. I used to love going on vacations and camping trips and shopping in the US. We were always treated pretty damn good by everyone, even at the border by the guards. The guards were stern and serious, but they weren't stupid and completely belligerent the way too many of them are now behaving today. I'll go back when they all calm down a bunch and have a better grip on who their friends and neighbours are and on who their real enemies and dangerous criminals are.

ShepherdsDog @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:56 pm

$1:
I'll go back when they all calm down a bunch and have a better grip on who their friends and neighbours are and on who their real enemies and dangerous criminals are.

They still seemed to be fooled by the saudis, or is it a matter of keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Public_Domain @ Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:00 am

SprCForr SprCForr:
I am so screwed. I haven't had a problem with Canadian or US customs yet so when the law of averages kicks in it's going to be a doozy!

8O

Do you really believe in that? (semi-serious)

Because I mean, everything is more likely to be so completely random that I guarantee that any bad visit in the future will probably be mild at best because nothing judges anything... Everything is just all floating out there, unjudged and random and crazy.

So it's entirely possible the next guy will be a dick.

Or an inconvenience. Or completely courteous.

Cause that's just how it is. :/

Other factors such as working conditions and at what times the sun is in their faces may affect the final stats.
Yeah.

EyeBrock @ Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:32 am

americanadian americanadian:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:

If you make generalizations about an entire country based on your observations of a few border guards, you should probably just stay home. :roll: :roll:

I think you are just making excuses for bad behaviour.

If any of my team spoke to a member of the public like the border guards have spoken to my family and I on numerous occasions, I would be having a chat with them and it wouldn't be a warm fuzzy one.

As long as you Yanks continue to have arrogant idiots controlling entry into the US, you will continue to leave a bad taste in people's mouths as they meet their first American.

I'm intelligent and well travelled enough to realise that not all Yanks are like the plonkers you have at the border, is everybody else?

Being somewhat used to enforcement and dealing with all kinds of people, I know you don't have to treat people like shit to maintain security.

Just excuses guys.

Gunnair @ Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:39 am

Agreed. I love visiting the US because I generally enjoy their company. Friendly, helpful, often polite, deliciously ignorant and therefore fun to play with. That being said, the border is not a fun place and that keeps me away from it. When I sail in, it's great, but that's probably the only way I'll go in.

desertdude @ Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:10 am

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
americanadian americanadian:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:

If you make generalizations about an entire country based on your observations of a few border guards, you should probably just stay home. :roll: :roll:

I think you are just making excuses for bad behaviour.

If any of my team spoke to a member of the public like the border guards have spoken to my family and I on numerous occasions, I would be having a chat with them and it wouldn't be a warm fuzzy one.

As long as you Yanks continue to have arrogant idiots controlling entry into the US, you will continue to leave a bad taste in people's mouths as they meet their first American.

I'm intelligent and well travelled enough to realise that not all Yanks are like the plonkers you have at the border, is everybody else?

Being somewhat used to enforcement and dealing with all kinds of people, I know you don't have to treat people like shit to maintain security.

Just excuses guys.

I'll have to agree with that. A friend of mine and his family landed in Canada ( Toronto I think ) and keep in mind hes Pakistani, Brown and Muslim ! and says he and his family was treated and welcomed very graciously into Canada.

More than I can say for what I've heard from people landing in the States. And little things like these actually influenced my decision to migrate to Canada. instead of the US, UK, Australia or New Zealand. Although I have a heck a lot of more friends in the US and UK.

As an outside third party who has interacted with both. I can give quite a list of Canada Vs USA but not wanting to start a flame war or a can of worms so I won't

coaster_dot @ Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:21 am

EyeBrock EyeBrock:

Just excuses guys.

First the Canadians border patrol are just as bad if not worse then the US side. It all depends on what citizenship you have. Second, it's not like we can do anything about it. It's just something you have to live with if you want to cross the border...on either side.

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next