Canada Kicks Ass
Will Canada pick the EU or the USA and UK?

BartSimpson @ Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:54 pm

The current relationship between the USA, UK and the EU is deteriorating.

The EU is losing its hold on the Eastern European countries and a speech in Poland's parliament this week reportedly called for the destruction of the EU. Hungary is reportedly debating legislation to enable a vote of the people on leaving the EU. Some in the EU believe the USA is behind their problems in Eastern Europe.

The Paris Climate Agreement is now being seized upon to create more division between the USA and Europe and the language coming out of the new French regime is almost openly hostile to the USA and, to a lesser extent, hostile to the UK. The French MoD today called for the EU to have a 'national' military replete with an army, a navy, and a stock of nuclear weapons sufficient to make an EU nation-state a superpower. Given the language of the EU supporters this new nation would be hostile to the USA and UK and would view these two countries as possible adversaries.

So where does Canada see itself going here? Will Canada become an ally to the EU or will it remain an ally to the USA and UK?

martin14 @ Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:02 pm

It won't matter what our virtue signaling PMselfie does, an alliance with us
would not amount to a hill of beans in terms of security.

In fact, we would be a drain on resources, due to our size,
small population, and utterly pathetic military spending habits.

BartSimpson @ Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:07 pm

martin14 martin14:
It won't matter what our virtue signaling PMselfie does, an alliance with us
would not amount to a hill of beans in terms of security.

In fact, we would be a drain on resources, due to our size,
small population, and utterly pathetic military spending habits.

If Canada aligns with what's shaping up to be an hostile EU then that's when things would get interesting.

Canadian_Mind @ Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:16 pm

Like it or not, we are quickly returning to a multi-polar world. At minimum, the new "Great Powers" include the EU, Russia, China, the USA, and if they really want to go that route, India. Major Powers along side these are the UK, Japan and Brazil. Minor powers being Isreal, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, the Philippines, and South Africa.

Canada wont go the way of the EU. As wacky as the SJW/multi-cultural groups are, it simply isn't the pragmatic choice, even for Trudeau. To me the more important question is whether we cozy up to the USA, the UK, or if we all hop in the same anglosphere bed together. Canada could never go it alone. At .5% the world's population, we simply aren't big enough.

Personally, I am not fond of the USA. This isn't a Trump thing or a Hillary thing, as my mind was made up during the Obama administration, and wouldn't have changed regardless of who won. The issue is that they are only looking out for their own interests. By itself that is fine, but their interests are not always in our best interest. Couple that with the huge population disparity, and we have no real way of sticking up for ourselves and getting them to yoeld to our interests when the need arises. Even the UK manages to get fucked around by them. As such, I do not want to align with them. Keep the firends-with-benefits thing going, but no getting married.

So once again I bring up the CANZUK idea. As a major power, the UK already carries significant clout. Along with Australia and NZ, we all share the same basic objectives; to protect our citizens, provide for their welfare, provide opportunities for socio-economic advancement, and provide a free, open, happy, democratic society to be a part of. The days of empire building and world control are gone, so we would have no need to step on one-another's toes, or to seek aggresive conflict abroad. Further, with our combined industrial and resource bases, as well as our global reach, we collectively would be a great power on our own. Being a Great Power, only interested in our own well being, means we would have the clout necessary so that the other world powers, including the USA, would find greater benefit in dealing with us fairly, rather than manipulating us.

Strutz @ Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:06 pm

It will be a sad day if it comes down to us having to choose between those choices Bart.

I'm sure that the powers that be will choose to stand by the UK/USA but the idea of distancing ourselves from the EU, which includes many countries that are currently allies of ours, is a disturbing thought.

Edited for clarity.

Sunnyways @ Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:19 pm

The choices offered in the poll are preposterous. We don't know where the UK is going to end up post-Brexit or whether it will even exist in ten years time so I wouldn't put any faith in those guys. As for the US, we are stuck with that investment but we need to diversify pronto, and if Trump gets another term, batten down the hatches. To be clear to the Pillbilly crowd, we will never pick Trump.

herbie @ Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:56 pm

Silly question. Who in hell says the UK and the EU aren't allied or the US and the UK are some inseparable eternal entity?
All are part of NATO in spite of Trump's fucking temper tantrums. Brexit didn't happen over idiotic trade isolation like Trump promotes. They'll be after an EU agreement instantly unless they want to go bac to being some 3rd world austere backwater like they were before they had a European Trade Agreement. And now they'll have to work out their very own with Canada to keep up with the rest of Europe.
You seem to have this misconception that because British politicians and the Queen are far too civilized to call Trump a dickhead that everything is all peachy. The British press isn't so nice.

Canadian_Mind @ Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:09 pm

herbie herbie:
Silly question. Who in hell says the UK and the EU aren't allied or the US and the UK are some inseparable eternal entity?
All are part of NATO in spite of Trump's fucking temper tantrums. Brexit didn't happen over idiotic trade isolation like Trump promotes. They'll be after an EU agreement instantly unless they want to go bac to being some 3rd world austere backwater like they were before they had a European Trade Agreement. And now they'll have to work out their very own with Canada to keep up with the rest of Europe.
You seem to have this misconception that because British politicians and the Queen are far too civilized to call Trump a dickhead that everything is all peachy. The British press isn't so nice.

In a way this fits with my narrative. However, I would argue that if Europe continues the BREXIT process in a less-than-ameable fashion, that they will make an enemy out of the United Kingdom, and in doing so, the rest of the Anglosphere.

I also believ that NATO will be expiring within the next 10-15 years. Despite the rhetoric and counter-rhetoric, Europe is slowly working towards a single European army. That, coupled with the potential increased tentions between them and the Anglosphere, will be the undoing of NATO. I hope we all still get along, but I doubt it'll work out that way.

Sunnyways @ Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:33 pm

The UK hasn't moved continents. It will continue to have a close relationship with its neighbours.

herbie @ Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:19 pm

What tensions with "the Anglosphere"?
We don't have a problem with any European country. Australia doesn't. New Zealand doesn't. THe UK may have fucked up with Brexit but there are no tensions with Europe.
Perhaps you're listening to a decade of so called Conservative Americans mocking everything European (only we are right, everyone else is aways wrong) and then electing a half wit bullying selfish boor President, I don't know of too many Americans either.
Unless you include Turkey and Russia which are barely European...