Canada Kicks Ass
A little problem with your forum Trev.

Previous  1 ... 144  145  146  147  148  149  150 ... 169  Next

herbie @ Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:49 am

Dumping the inactive users will only remove their ability to log in, won't remove their posts or uploaded pics. As others have pointed out, that doesn't free much space at all.
I'd suggest removing pics 5 years or older, but I don't think a PhpBB admin can to do that, you'd need server admin rights to access the image directory and remove the actual files.

Tricks @ Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:06 pm

I mean, lets be realistic, I'm sure this site has gaping security holes. I'm sure I or one of my colleagues could accidentally gain access to the drive or get server admin rights.

DrCaleb @ Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:16 pm

With many bits of software that fell out of scope 10 years ago?

If you couldn't, you shouldn't be in your job. ;)

llama66 @ Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:34 pm

#MLAGA
(Make Llama's Avatar Great Again)

stratos @ Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:49 pm

ROTFL

raydan @ Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:57 pm

Are the downloaded pics stored in the database or in a filesystem?

herbie @ Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:20 pm

In a file directory, db references it.
site/images/avatars/upload for llama66
site/files for the rest

But this is an ancient and highly mod'd version of PhpBB on a Windows server, I only run new versions on Linux machines so I can't say fer sure. You'd need access to cPanel-File Manager or FTP to remove them.

Tricks @ Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:01 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

It's just mildly illegal.

Also I'm an infrastructure guy, others are better at web application. But I'm learning.

raydan @ Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:32 pm

I'm a database guy... well, I was. :wink:

DrCaleb @ Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:43 am

Tricks Tricks:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Also I'm an infrastructure guy, others are better at web application. But I'm learning.

I remember the debates about PenTesting decades ago. Is it really illegal, if you break in and fix things up? :twisted:

llama66 @ Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:18 am

Per the letter, maybe. Per the spirit? I don't think so.

DrCaleb @ Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:13 am

No, it's always illegal. :( Unless like Tricks, you are hired to break in, and there there is only a limited and pre-defined scope to that break in.

llama66 @ Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:17 am

"actus non facit reum nisi mens sit rea"

Tricks @ Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:26 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Tricks Tricks:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

I remember the debates about PenTesting decades ago. Is it really illegal, if you break in and fix things up? :twisted:

Sadly.

$1:
342.1 (1) Everyone is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than 10 years, or is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction who, fraudulently and without colour of right,

(a) obtains, directly or indirectly, any computer service;

(b) by means of an electro-magnetic, acoustic, mechanical or other device, intercepts or causes to be intercepted, directly or indirectly, any function of a computer system;

(c) uses or causes to be used, directly or indirectly, a computer system with intent to commit an offence under paragraph (a) or (b) or under section 430 in relation to computer data or a computer system; or

(d) uses, possesses, traffics in or permits another person to have access to a computer password that would enable a person to commit an offence under paragraph (a), (b) or (c).

I had that drilled so hard into my head in school I think I could recite it.

Tricks @ Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:30 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
No, it's always illegal. :( Unless like Tricks, you are hired to break in, and there there is only a limited and pre-defined scope to that break in.

Don't get me wrong, I've fudged stuff to get around restrictions at companies.

I had a retailer that wouldn't let me order a part to pickup in store at the store near me, because it wasn't in stock. Apparently they changed the policy of shipping to the store and allowing for pickup. So when I put through the order, I intercepted the post packet, changed the store parameter to the one I wanted, and sent it on through.

Surprisingly it actually worked. The order got submitted, and a friend of mine working for the company confirmed that it was put through to ship to the location I wanted.

Then I bought it elsewhere because fuck them.

Previous  1 ... 144  145  146  147  148  149  150 ... 169  Next