Canada Kicks Ass
CKA Canadian Bittirrent Tracker

1  2  3  4  Next

Canadaka @ Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:01 am

I have thought about this in the past but was a but worried about the legalities. But with bittorrent the host of the torrents is pretty well protected because they do not actualy host the files, just a refrence.

If you don't understand look up how bittorrent works.

PLus no one in Canada has been charged with anything.

So my idea is to host a small bittorrent tracker on Canadaka.net for Canadian torrents. Right now there isn't really a place to find Canadian bittorrents. Some sites have the occasial one.

I have collected a number of Canadian documentaries and stuff, this would give us a way to share these. and better distrubute them

And i don't think the owners of most of the orignial copyright would mind there material being distribute like this. that is the point of a documentary, to be seen. Plus many of these documentaries cannot be bought even if you would like to. Or very hard to find.

The Torrent tracker would not allow links to games, movies, music, programs. Just Documentaries and other Canadian content. I would allow some non-canadian documentaries.

Anyway just want to see what people think and if there is interest.
lear more about bittorrent here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent

canucker @ Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:23 am

It's still all gobally-gook to me. 8O

Blue_Nose @ Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:07 am

I think it's a good idea...

BWA123 @ Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:41 pm

I would LOVE to see a site dedicated to Canadian torrents. Digital Distractions does a decent job, but a Canuck version of UKNova or AussieTorrents would be excellent.

fatbasturd @ Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:21 pm

I will second that...torrents are the way to go with a Canadian content setup.
Damn fine idea Trev :D

Canadaka @ Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:26 pm

hmm i kinda forgot about this, im always doing a million things at once and get bored of a project sometimes.

but i might pick this up again, i did start something, here is the test site
http://hosting.canadaka.net/dev/torrents/
still needs major work, isn't really functional yet. maybe i will work on it this weekend.

Blue_Nose @ Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:49 pm

What about setting up a private torrent site, like Oink?

Lots of opportunity to code, with share ratios and stats :wink:

SireJoe @ Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:54 pm

Geez. So many necroposts being resurrected. I like this one though. Torrents are still in the 'realm' of illegalness, but if you are only sharing legal content, or non restricted content, then I wouldnt worry about it to much.

Do it though. I will certainly do my share in helping seed whatever there is.

Canadaka @ Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:29 pm

Blue_Nose Blue_Nose:
What about setting up a private torrent site, like Oink?

Lots of opportunity to code, with share ratios and stats :wink:

did you look at my test dev site? its pretty much what you just described. have to register on the site and keeps track of stats and such.

BWA123 @ Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:05 am

Either the automated email feature (part of the new user registration process) is down, or it's severly delayed.

No worries, just trying to help you sort out the coding.

BWA123 @ Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:10 am

Do let us know when this thing launches. I'm sure it will be huge!

-a Canadian in England

Canadaka @ Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:38 am

well after working on this some more, i think i hafta ditch the idea of hosting my own tracker. If i create my own tracker none of the downloads will have any seeders, unless people like you start seeding these canadian torrents. Also running a tracker can take a huge amount of bandwidth and cost a lot of money, im just not sure if it were big, the costs could be covered. but mostly its an issue of no seeders. and of course there is always the slight legal issues.

So I think what I am going to do instead is do kinda what i did with CanuckTube and create an index of existing torrents from other trackers. So really to the average user the site would function no different, there will be categories with torrent links and details in them. An index or directory of canadian content torrents.

Of course since there would be no tracker, no upload/download ration would be tracked.

I started work on this, but will take awhile to get to a useable state. Maybe after its done and there is a lot of interest a full tracker could be considered... it just takes money and people willing to seed torrents.

BWA123 @ Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:55 am

No worries, that sounds like a great first step. AussieTorrents does the same thing - links to Australian-themed torrents hosted by other trackers.

Any chance we could have our own forum for the site, though? That way we would all be linked together in our own little "torrent community", despite not having a tracker of our own.

As for seeding, I would be happy to help seed stuff if you ever do decide to launch your own tracker.

Cheers.

Canadaka @ Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:32 am

I have a very basic start of a site up for testing:
http://torrents.canadaka.net

You can register and start adding torrent files, I added some basic categories, but suggestions for more sub categories and such are welcome.

Still lots to do, commenting, better user profile page, more tracking.

I hanv't decided if I will create a sub-foruim here on CKA forums for the torrent site, or create a seperate stand-alone forum on the torrent site.

Also its open now, but i think I will limit uploading and donloading of torrents to registered members.

let me know what you think so far

BWA123 @ Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:39 am

Nice work.

As for sub-categories, how about:

Canadian Movies
drama
comedy
action/adventure

Canadian TV series
drama
comedy
politics & news
sports

And perhaps make a category for Canadian radio? That would be the same category where I would cap and seed original content.

Cheers.

1  2  3  4  Next