Canada Kicks Ass
CKA Facebook App?

Canadaka @ Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:06 am

I started playing around many months ago with the facebook API before they released there "platform". But now that "apps" are out and TONS of apps are popping up, I have been thinking more about trying to make some CKA/Canadian apps on facebook.

I have to do a fair amount of research and learning, but I think it would be cool.

I also need to decide on what type of app(s) to create. It could be something easy, like a box on your facebook profile, showing a mini CKA profile, and maybe a list of your most recent posts or something. Or maybe Political banners, you can display on your proffile. Also thinking about something to link the CKA personal photo galleries up.

For a start i might start with a super simple thing like a banner image showing you are a CKA member or proud Canadian, something like that.

If anyone has any ideas, lemme know. Or if anyone has any programming experience with the facebook platform and wants to help out, contact me.

http://www.facebook.com/apps/applicatio ... 7390922960

bossdog @ Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:11 am

how about an app to show off our medals?

CapeApe @ Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:20 am

I think its a great idea... :D

newfette @ Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:31 am

bossdog bossdog:
how about an app to show off our medals?

yeah but with something like that you are excluding people who dont have any...

maybe in time but i think it shoud start as someone anyone can have

Canadaka @ Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:00 am

well I am thinking of a general CKA Profile app. With options to enable and disable different things. Like showing your medals, or recent blog posts, recent forum posts, stuff like that.

Canadaka @ Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:38 am

It took me awhile to learn the basics of working with the facebook API, but I have managed to put together a nifty CKA App.

It can be used by CKA Members and non members. Members can display some things from there CKA profiles. But non members can still use the app to add images to thier profile like the, 'Canada Kicks Ass', 'Canada Flag' or 'support our troops'.

Each 'feature' of the app can be disabled and enabled, so it can be really small, only displaying the CKA logo or Canada Flag. Or really big showing all the current features.

I will probably add to the app later, but this will be the first release and it should be fully functional. So people can start adding the app to there Facebooks.

Here is the app URL: http://apps.facebook.com/canadakicksass/
About Page: http://www.facebook.com/apps/applicatio ... 7390922960

Wullu @ Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:49 am

Very cool Trev.

Did not take you long to get back in the saddle after your tour of the country! ;)

Hmmmm, nuttin showed up except the app........... What did I do wrong this time? LOL

bootlegga @ Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:57 am

Very cool, I've signed up for it!

Hyack @ Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:59 am

Done mine !

Canadaka @ Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:53 am

Cool, 10 people are already suing it!

Please let me know if you find any bugs or have any suggestions of more things to add or layout changes. The layout is a little tricky, because it can change so much depending on what options someone changes. For example If someone chooses to display thier avatar and the canada flag, the canada flag gets turned vertical and shrunk.

I know one thing I need to figure out, facebook caches all the app content. So your CKA app on your profile won't update unless you visit its app control page.

Wada @ Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:17 am

I just signed up and it was the first time my password worked. How cool! :wink:

Canadaka @ Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:17 pm

thanks for the comments, keep the feedback coming!

Wow! I was not expecting so many people to use it so fast, Only been on there for less than a day and already 50 people have added the App. It was just added to the Application directory, so non-CKA members are probably finding it now.

I also have been adding "Share on Facebook" buttons around the site. Clicking this button will popup a window where you can share the link to that page with your friends on facebook. So far I ahve added this to, videos, reviews, content, jokes and gallery images.

Examples (look for "share on facebook button":
http://www.canadaka.net/pic-12029.html
http://www.canadaka.net/video/309-jaime ... -flex.html

This is pretty cool, I wanna make another app, but can't think of a clever and unique idea.... hmm
I have one, I was thinking about making a "Canadian Hottie of the Day" app, that shows a photo of a canadian babe on your profile. thats more for canadianhottie.ca

Canadaka @ Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:55 pm

As per someones request on facebook, I added 2 other images to the "Display 'Canada Kicks Ass' Image" dropdown. One is just plain "Canada Kicks Ass" text logo. The other is a large version of the "CKA Shield" logo.

I am amazed at how many people added the app and so fast! Up to 431 users and going up every minute, so cool.

Thanks for the support!

Canadaka @ Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:11 am

I have updated the Facebook app to work with the new forums, some things were broken because of the upgrade. I also setup a scheduled task to update all the profile boxes every couple days. Had to also update some code that Facebook broke with one of there recent updates.

Should all work now and I also updated the 'Canadian Hottie of the Day' and 'Liberal Supporter' apps.

FireWire @ Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:53 am

you should build an app just like "I am Green" but Canadian version. The app would be called "I am Canadian". Peeps would put check marks on Canadian elements and finally rewarded by medals or beavers.....