Canada Kicks Ass
CKA Getting New Server, Donations Welcome

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Brenda @ Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:08 pm

Congrats Trev! :D :D

Now go play! :lol:

hwacker @ Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:20 pm

Canadaka Canadaka:
No.. I've said i wanted a new server to have warrenty. Plus a 4U server like that with multiple PSU's would cost a lot more to colocate than a 1U server. I've bought the 3 previous servers from ebay and they've all had hardware problems now, so I wanted to get a new one this time.

Those are new, you can even reg online.

Anyways get that linux installed and load up :-)

newfette @ Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:23 pm

yay for new toys!!

Canadaka @ Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:08 pm

I have booked a time to go into the Data Centre on Monday July 14th.
So a warning that the site will go down for several hours on monday.

But after the new server is in place the site should have much more resources to use. And I just want to give another bump to remind people about donating if they can and havn't. My monthly costs are going up to $400 and this new server cost me $2300 plus $250 for setup fees and such. Running large sites isn't cheap, I do make more than the monthly cost from advertisements, but this raise in monthly cost is cutting into any profit I make considerably. I like to make a bit of money for all the time I put into this. ;)

I also want to remind people that I do offer paid web hosting on a request basis, which can also help to pay for the server costs. http://hosting.canadaka.net/

Canadaka @ Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:02 pm

as you may have guessed the new server install didn't happen on monday because of the massive power outatge in downtown vancouver. It took awhile for the data-centre to get back to me after this.

But I am schedualed to install the new server tommorow at 11am, so the site will be down for most of tommorow.

Brenda @ Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:05 pm

Thanks Trev! It has been dramatic the past couple of days, so I REALLY hope this works out for the better ;-)

Canadaka @ Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:19 pm

Well the new server install went well at the data-centre. I also formatted the old server to freshen it up.

I am still in the process of getting things going on the new server and haven't done much tweaking of settings and such, but already things seem faster.

now that mySQL is on a 100% dedicated server it has a lot more memory to use, which should result in the greatest improvement.

mtbr @ Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:21 pm

seem to be getting a lot of this..

404 - File or directory not found.
The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Canadaka @ Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:22 pm

yes I am fixed all those now, I have to update all the "URL Rewriting" rules to work with the new version.

newfette @ Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:07 pm

you rock trevor!

Canadaka @ Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:52 pm

please let me know if you find any errors on the site and if it seems faster for you.

snookums @ Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:57 pm

It does seem faster to me - good job Trevor! [B-o]

Edit : holy crap, yeah, it seems much faster in replying to this post... Awesome R=UP

Brenda @ Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:09 pm

It is superfast!! :D :D

Thanks Trev!

ziggy @ Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:10 pm

Faster and no more internal server errors.It's been hit and miss getting on all week.
Good job. [B-o]

Edit-lightning fast,It changes pages faster then I can click.

Canadaka @ Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:18 pm

WDHIII WDHIII:
Canadaka Canadaka:
please let me know if you find any errors on the site and if it seems faster for you.

MUCH faster Trev but if ya click on a news story on the front page the CKA sidebar is missing.......Error.JPG

thank you, this is the type of report I need. Its impossible for me to check every single page, espeically since I'm still working on setup.

the new frame is fixed.

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next