Canada Kicks Ass
CKA Loading Sloooow

Canadaka @ Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:05 pm

The site is loading rather slow right now, this morning it was painfully slow.

This has been a major problem that has been off and on for months now. All of march its been fine until today, but for weeks in jan and feb it was bad.

I complain to my host & data-centre but I've always got the impression they don't believe me. They don't ever seem to do anything specific to fix the issue or even acknowledge there is or was one when it stops happening.

Well today I went into the data-centre to install the new memory in the database server and their main sys admin was there, so I proved beyond a doubt there is a major issue. I also proved that its nothing to do with my servers and the slow connection issue is actually also affecting a number of their own servers. We tried to find the problem but were unable to at this time.

The sys admin is going to look further into it late tonight when he can power cycle switches and servers. It must be a problem with one of the switches or a routing table.

The connection to my servers is as slow as 0.2 Mbps where it should be around 60 Mbps when operating normal. The problem happens when testing the connection between two servers in the same cage on the same switch, so its a problem with their networking and not the connection to the outside internet.

Gunnair @ Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:08 pm

Yes. Very slow... Shep slow.

Benn @ Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:00 pm

Not sure if it's related but my connection times out when I try to access the site directly from the address bar. If I Google it and enter to the forums direct from there is works fine. Been like this all week, but might just be a glitch on my end.

Yogi @ Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:33 pm

I tried several times today, but finally gave up.
1230924829_molasses_1.jpg
1230924829_molasses_1.jpg [ 121.84 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]

Scape @ Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:47 pm

Benn Benn:
Not sure if it's related but my connection times out when I try to access the site directly from the address bar. If I Google it and enter to the forums direct from there is works fine. Been like this all week, but might just be a glitch on my end.

Noticed that as well. At times the feedburner link will time out yet direct links to the forums will still work.

Hyack @ Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:26 pm

That's better......now!

Gunnair @ Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:41 pm

Or... not. Ack! Soooo slow....

martin14 @ Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:51 pm

No better, and I am getting server timeouts now.

Strutz @ Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:42 pm

Arrggghhh... me too...

Canadaka @ Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:07 am

They have given me no updates or ETA of when the problem might be fixed... they don't even know what the problem is. I think they are trying to determine if its an issue within their vlan or with the large Peer1 data-centre.

Canadaka @ Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:43 pm

BAM

They restarted a router and things are back to full speed. I don't know if they have found the problem though, so it won't happen in the future. I'm pressuring them for answerers.

Brenda @ Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:13 pm

:P
There ya go! Next time, just send them a text (no email, that takes too long to load :lol:) telling them to restart the damned thing! Or better yet, give us all their cell#, so we can bombard them with texts :twisted:

Canadaka @ Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:14 pm

I also installed the new memory in the database server yesterday while at the data-centre. I've run a full memory test and it all looks good.

I'm running just a couple databases on that server today to test and make sure its stable. Its all looking good so far, so tonight I will probably move all the databases over.

So finally CKA will be using the dedicated database server for the first time since last fall. After many headaches and about $400 of new parts.