Canada Kicks Ass
CKA Server going offline today (Aug 3rd)

Canadaka @ Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:23 pm

I am moving to a different data centre host today, so the servers will be offline for awhile, hopefully only about 30 minutes.

But the IPs are going to be changing! So once I make the change to the DNS it could take your local dns 1-24 hours to get the change. :(

If you are unable to access www.canadaka.net during this time, I'm going to make http://66.199.162.178/ temporarily access the site (once the switch has been done).

I'm going down to the data centre in 45min to start the switch.

I am also replacing one of the SCSI drives in the database server that has been giving me problems for the last 1+ year. it has been the cause of many database corruptions that have brought down the site. The new SCSI drive was $200.

The switch will be good for me, the new host is about $150 a month cheaper. Its also in the same building still on the Peer1 network. my old host also recently changed their bandwidth policy and started charging me for overages, My bill for June was over $800!!!

So if your willing and able, now is a good time for some donations :)
http://www.canadaka.net/donations
There hasn't been many donations this year, which is understandable with the economy, but the site doesn't get any cheaper to run and ad revenue has taken a huge hit, since online advertising seems to be one of the first things companies pulled back spending on.

Anyway hopefully the downtown is not too long and things should be stable after its done.

Lemmy @ Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:00 pm

Canadaka Canadaka:
So if your willing and able, now is a good time for some donations

How many "Get re-instated from a banning" cards do I get for $100? :)

Strutz @ Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:22 am

Canadaka Canadaka:
But the IPs are going to be changing! So once I make the change to the DNS it could take your local dns 1-24 hours to get the change. :(

Yeah, I was unable to access all last night :( (last checked around 11pm) but all is well this morning!
Canadaka Canadaka:
The switch will be good for me, the new host is about $150 a month cheaper. Its also in the same building still on the Peer1 network. my old host also recently changed their bandwidth policy and started charging me for overages, My bill for June was over $800!!!
So if your willing and able, now is a good time for some donations :)
http://www.canadaka.net/donations
There hasn't been many donations this year, which is understandable with the economy, but the site doesn't get any cheaper to run and ad revenue has taken a huge hit, since online advertising seems to be one of the first things companies pulled back spending on.

Absolutely Trev! You should keep this thread at the top of the recent topics page so that members see it and it doesn't get buried further down. More that see it will hopefully mean more support in $.

Zipperfish @ Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:23 am

All right, I'm going to hit paypal tonight.

Cough up you cheap bastards!

Yogi @ Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:28 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
All right, I'm going to hit paypal tonight.

Cough up you cheap bastards!

R=UP R=UP R=UP

Canadaka @ Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:56 am

Thanks everyone!

Grr the computer store sold me the wrong type of SCSI drive, so I was unable to replace it. Going to replace it and hopefully do that later this week. I'm running everything off one server atm.

I also know the radio server is down, the correct port needs to be opened with the new DC firewall, I just created a support ticket to have it opened.

Scape @ Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:35 am

*bump!*

I know i'm scraping the bottom of the barrel myself but will get some cash soonest.