Canada Kicks Ass
Lest we forget

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

martin14 @ Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:43 am

raydan raydan:
martin14 martin14:
I went to the Milan War Cemetery this morning, pics to come later.

Well I'm waiting... Image

They're being uploaded to the computer now.

But I want to wait till all the services are done in Canada.

I had mine done before most of you woke up. :)

I'll post them before Wil's show.

Guy_Fawkes @ Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:07 am

That was interesting; I was more impressed in that she looked better than the prince in his regalia.
It must have been amateur hour for the camera men though, you’d think CTV would have done a better job in that area.

Guy_Fawkes @ Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:08 am

That was also the first time I have ever heard Cree at a Remembrance Ceremony.

acidcomplex @ Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:24 am

This seemed like a good thread to post these in, if not please let me know and I can move them. Just a few quick pohotoshops I did for backgrounds today. Let me know if you want full size/diff sized ones to keep

soldiers.jpg
soldiers.jpg [ 203.17 KiB | Viewed 271 times ]
soldiers2.jpg
soldiers2.jpg [ 209.87 KiB | Viewed 286 times ]
soldiers3.jpg
soldiers3.jpg [ 280.72 KiB | Viewed 271 times ]
soldiers4.jpg
soldiers4.jpg [ 295.52 KiB | Viewed 279 times ]
soldiers5.jpg
soldiers5.jpg [ 258.71 KiB | Viewed 263 times ]

Guy_Fawkes @ Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:26 am

You missed a spot on one of the pipers in #4 :wink:

CanadianGigolo @ Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:32 am

Yogi @ Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:40 am

As the oldest surviving son, I am entitled to wear Dad's medals and ribbons at services today. I have never done anything to earn that right! Rather, I shall keep under my coat, close to my breast, during services this morning.

Very nice work AC.

acidcomplex @ Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:40 am

Guy_Fawkes Guy_Fawkes:
You missed a spot on one of the pipers in #4 :wink:

lol yeah i know, took me about ten minutes to do them all. Not production work :cry:

acidcomplex @ Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:41 am

Yogi Yogi:
As the oldest surviving son, I am entitled to wear Dad's medals and ribbons at services today. I have never done anything to earn that right! Rather, I shall keep under my coat, close to my breast, during services this morning.

Very nice work AC.

Thank you and your Dad

Akhenaten @ Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:58 am

Wait for me, and I'll come back!
Wait with all you've got!
Wait, when dreary yellow rains
Tell you, you should not.
Wait when snow is falling fast,
Wait when summer's hot,
Wait when yesterdays are past,
Others are forgot.
Wait, when from that far-off place,
Letters don't arrive.
Wait, when those with whom you wait
Doubt if I'm alive.
Wait for me, and I'll come back!
Wait in patience yet
When they tell you off by heart
That you should forget.
Even when my dearest ones
Say that I am lost,
Even when my friends give up,
Sit and count the cost,
Drink a glass of bitter wine
To the fallen friend -
Wait! And do not drink with them!
Wait until the end!Wait for me and I'll come back,
Dodging every fate! "What a bit of luck!" they'll say,
Those that would not wait. They will never understand
How amidst the strife, By your waiting for me, dear,
You had saved my life.
Only you and I will know
How you got me through.
Simply - you knew how to wait -
No one else but you.

"To Valentina Serova" -Konstantin Simonov

Is there anyone out there who is still waiting? Expecting that loved one who they were seperated from to appear at the door? So they could continue their life together where it left off so many foggy years ago?

By all means remember the young who gave their lives for us. But could we please for one moment also remember the millions who had to drop everything and run? We live lives filled with choices. For an entire generation the choices where made for them. Once, for as far as the eye could see there were untold millions whose families were severed, their hopes burned in flames. Please also remember today the millions for whom there will never be a monument.

kenmore @ Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:22 am

N'oublions jamais!

kenmore @ Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:23 am

These are awesome tributes! thank you for sharing them.

Regina @ Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:47 am

RIP Uncle Andrew

Tyler_1 @ Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:18 am

JustKate @ Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:02 pm

My Uncle Roe.

Clement Roallan Skillen
May 18, 1918 – January 7, 2006

Thunder Bay Champ Receives Life-Changing Legacy from War Amputee

THUNDER BAY, ON, November 3, 2006 - As a member of The War Amps Child Amputee (CHAMP) Program, Leah Cameron, 14, of Thunder Bay, has long been aware of its Operation Legacy, which passes on the message of the horrors of war from war amputee members to the younger generation.

This year when Remembrance Day comes, Leah will be thinking of a different kind of legacy she has received from a war amputee that has changed her life.

The story began with the recent passing of War Amps Member Roe Skillen, who lost his leg while serving with the Navy in World War II when his ship was torpedoed during action with a German U-Boat wolf pack.

Mr. Skillen, who was raised in Thunder Bay and lived most of his life in Nipigon, was fitted with a C-Leg, which uses microprocessor technology to allow the wearer to seamlessly speed up or slow down, take on hills or slopes, recover from stumbles and go downstairs step-over-step. To honour Mr. Skillen’s memory, and because the C-Leg can be prohibitively expensive, his family contacted The War Amps and asked if it could be donated to a Thunder Bay area Champ.

Leah, a right leg amputee, was fitted recently with a new leg using Mr. Skillen’s C-Leg components and is currently breaking it in. “It has been a wonderful and generous gift that’s changed Leah’s life,” says her Mom, Valerie. “She’s able to walk up and down the stairs, and she finds she’s not losing her balance as easily as before.”

War Amps CEO Cliff Chadderton says that the Skillen family’s gift strikes a poignant chord with Remembrance Day approaching. “We war amputees have always said that CHAMP was the one good thing to come out of the war. I can’t think of anything that illustrates what we call this ‘legacy of love’ any better.”

Leah Cameron

http://www.waramps.ca/newsroom/archives ... 11-03.html
http://www.skillen.net/NewsLetters/Wint ... ol2No2.htm

May God Bless All our Soldiers, Thank you for your Service!

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next