Canada Kicks Ass
New CKA News Links, frontpage

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Scape @ Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:48 pm

Not the titles, just the stats.

The hot news item of the day might be something worth trying on a trial basis and then have a poll on it.

Last, PLEASE can you have the option of the user to delete submitted news articles if editing isn't an option. If required have it only deletable withing 1 hour of posting but it is important to have so that bad links, typos ect can be cleaned up with out unintentionally clogging the news page.

As always, fine work again Trev.

Canadaka @ Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:49 am

I've added the top news links to a fading rotation in the "Top Story" block on the front-page.

Thats something I really need to do, allow people to edit there own news link submissions, and create a reporting feature. WHere people can report junk or spam links to the mods.

Canadaka @ Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:03 am

OK that was actualy pretty easy to do, I already had the code somewhere else to allow you to edit your own links.

If you click the "comments" link under a link you submitted to show the drop-down box, you will see "Admin: edit : delete" [boxing]

Stagger_Lee @ Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:10 am

guess you never git my suggestion, not that it matters

Canadaka @ Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:54 am

Stagger_Lee Stagger_Lee:
guess you never git my suggestion, not that it matters

i'm no where near done yet ;)

Canadaka @ Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:00 am

a rough version of the "popular" news is up

www.canadaka.net/modules.php?name=News_ ... le=popular

lists the top story of the day for each category, along with the weeks top 10 stores for each category. The categories are ordered by the amount of total hits there top 10 have received that week.

Canadaka @ Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:51 pm

wow been a busy day for the news links the last 2 days. 133 news links just today (Tuesday)

Which is awesome! in fact today the news links just passed 10,000 news links.

But I think i need to go even farther than last weeks modifications to the system, to reduce the number of links that make it to the front-page. they will still be there, in other stories, as well as each individual category view.

I need to make the category viewing of links more prominent as well.

Now for narrowing the front-page links, right now it’s based on hits, and the 4 hour leeway period given to a link to be on the front. but with 133 links that’s now enough.

I don’t want to go the route that new links don’t get to the front-page until the gain a certain status.. Then some things will never get there,

So i was thinking on top of the hits, I could create a voting system. where votes can overrule the hit/time rule.

say a link gets more than 10 hits in its 4 hour time, so it would remain on the front, but its really not a very good link, and might be taking up space of something that just didn’t get noticed as much, or was posted at a slower time during the day.

Well people can vote negatively on that link. And if it gets a certain ratio of negative votes will be dropped front front-page, even though it has enough hits....

And same thing for the reverse, a link in "other stories" or unpopular, can get positive votes, to allow it to regain front-page status, without having the required hits at the time.

I don’t know if that will make sense to people, but I think it could work. will take some work, but would be worth a try.

-----

when i started the news links, i did so with mostly my own ideas, but now the idea of social news sites, is getting very popular, www.digg.com being the biggest, a tech news site. now even Netscape stole the format from them, and there is dozens of rip-off sites.

Well CKA is not a rip-off, we were doing this before it was known to the masses. But the idea of voting yah or nay, for links is something I will borrow, its a natural progression to handle large amounts of submissions.

But the CKA system will be unique, and work in different manner, almost the opposite, well we will see how it goes.

anyway i will stop blabbering, just want to get some feedback on these proposals, and any suggestions. I will probably get it done within the next 2 weeks.

ziggy @ Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:55 pm

Just one thing....if a guy posts to the comment section on a newsbot link it go's ahead of the other posted comments on the thread,makes for some head scratching.

Canadaka @ Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:12 pm

$1:
Just one thing....if a guy posts to the comment section on a newsbot link it go's ahead of the other posted comments on the thread,makes for some head scratching.

hmm so if there has been a bunch of posting through the forums, then someone ads a comment through the news comment box, it doens't go in order?

Canadaka @ Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:13 am

I have fixed the news link commenting bug, where someone would post a comment from the front-page and it would be ordered before posts made from the forums.

Canadaka @ Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:11 am

to make viewing news about topics you are interested in the most, I have made the topics or categories more prominent.

On the front-page beside the submit news button is a "Topics" button. clicking this will reveal a list of the current news topics. Click to view a list of news for only that topic.

I have also reworked the topic/category pages. Should look better and they now include the comment drop down boxes and such.

One main difference about the topic pages is there is page numbers, you can go back right to the beginning of the newslinks if you wished. You can also sort the news in that topic by different criteria.

Example topic, Canadian Political News

Topics with comments are highlighted yellow.

Ripcat @ Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:16 am

Nice. :D

LittleBastard @ Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:35 am

Very Cool!!! R=UP

Canadaka @ Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:52 am

I did some reconstruction of the news_links page.

The front-page of the site, has a lot of info, and its not really dedicated to one thing, its kinda a wahts new summary.

So for the News Links, to view them in there full fiew, use this url
http://www.canadaka.net/news_links
or the "Canadian News" link on the main menu under "Home".

Its an expanded view of the news links on the front-page, but im not filtering out "unpopular" news there yet. But I have redesigned this page to be dedicated to the News links. The right side now has blocks with the top 5 most popular stories from the most popular topics, from the last 2 days.

Canadaka @ Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:16 am

I did some more tweaking to the front-page news links and the link above.

Minor cosemetic changes, looks a little nicer now, and added the colour bars to the right, that show how popular a link is.

yellow
orange
red
dark red

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next