Canada Kicks Ass
Poll on peronal insults

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

SprCForr @ Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:02 pm

Ahh, the pendulum...it swings still.

You want civility and such? Fine, start being civil to each other in the threads. You want a place to insult and muck around? Use Random Insanity.

Bodah @ Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:14 pm

I'm not trying to make moderators jobs more difficult, you guys do enough as it is. I'm sure you have other interests in your lives besides babysitting a bunch of adults on an internet forum. I would never want to be a moderator on any forum. Twas just a suggestion not a demand. Looks like most people are ok with how things are as it is anyways. No problemo.

Jonny_C @ Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:17 pm

Regina Regina:
This place is like a daycare compared to the way it was before the great purge a few years back. This place was like the wild Wild West before that. If all you dumbasses got alone there'd be nothing to talk about. :P

When I found this forum I was thinking I was sorry I hadn't known about it for so long. Maybe that was just as well. :D

---

Funny, Toast, I'll be you and I both thought our own old digs were pretty off-the-wall at times. :wink:

Toastmaker @ Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:19 pm

Agreed. I like them both, though.

Unsound @ Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:43 pm

I'm not really in favour of more rules or regulations. Although the idea of a forum where everyone stas on topic and leaves the personal stuff out of t is very appealing I have a couple pretty solid objections.

For starters I don't know how workable it really is. We could end up spending more time debating whether whatever poster X said is actually an insult deserving of sanction, or whether poster Y is just being too sensitive.

As well, I worry that having the ban hammer hanging over people's heads might have too much of a chilling effect on people's willingness to engage in the kind of occasionally controversial or sensitive type discussions we have here.

It's that same worry about "chill" that I think is my major objection to the kind of piling on we're seeing so much of lately. I think there are some, perhaps many, people who simply avoid saying anything because they don't want to have to deal with a half dozen people ignoring the content of their posts in favour of name calling. I think newbies are especially affected by the chill and that's a shame imo. New people with new things to say make the board a lot more interesting. If you're tired of every second thread being about "muslims bad" or "legalize it" then we need new people to keep things fresh.

I'm sure some will say if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen, and while that's certainly a valid point of view, I prefer a nice comfortable teperature when I go to a kitchen party.(Did i kill the metaphor or what?)

Gunnair @ Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:00 pm

Unsound Unsound:
I'm not really in favour of more rules or regulations. Although the idea of a forum where everyone stas on topic and leaves the personal stuff out of t is very appealing I have a couple pretty solid objections.

For starters I don't know how workable it really is. We could end up spending more time debating whether whatever poster X said is actually an insult deserving of sanction, or whether poster Y is just being too sensitive.

As well, I worry that having the ban hammer hanging over people's heads might have too much of a chilling effect on people's willingness to engage in the kind of occasionally controversial or sensitive type discussions we have here.

It's that same worry about "chill" that I think is my major objection to the kind of piling on we're seeing so much of lately. I think there are some, perhaps many, people who simply avoid saying anything because they don't want to have to deal with a half dozen people ignoring the content of their posts in favour of name calling. I think newbies are especially affected by the chill and that's a shame imo. New people with new things to say make the board a lot more interesting. If you're tired of every second thread being about "muslims bad" or "legalize it" then we need new people to keep things fresh.

I'm sure some will say if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen, and while that's certainly a valid point of view, I prefer a nice comfortable teperature when I go to a kitchen party.(Did i kill the metaphor or what?)

Thanos Thanos:
Anyone disagree that CKA should follow this guy's lead have our own Jailbait, Hitler, Creepshot, and Blame-The-Jews appreciation threads? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

Unsound Unsound:
While I would be against the creation of a dedicated forum for any of those subjects, due to the implication that the mods or site owner condoned those ideas, i wouldn't be against the idea of someone starting a thread for any of them, secure as I am in the knowledge that the vast majority of CKAers would treat thse threads in exactly the manner they deserve to be treated.

I would have thought the 15 year old deserved to die because she was weak thread would have fallen under your guidelines here.

Frankly, that thread was treated in exactly the manner it deserved to be treated.

No?

Freakinoldguy @ Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:09 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
Sorry, sailors swear.

You gotta be fucking shittin me. Who the fuck would have thought?

When God created languages he decided to give everybody a different one. For example, he gave the English english, The Irish gaelic, the French gibberish and when he finished giving all the peoples of the world language he found he had one language left over with no one to give it to. :?:

Well the lord being frugal decided to see if he could give it to a group rather than a people so, he looked down and saw a diverse group of fine, upstanding, stalwart, individuals who, because of his language polices couldn't communicate propertly. So he thought gee this isn't fair having these great people unable to communicate so right then and there he decided that, because of their dedication, selflessness and good moral standards they should be the recipients of his last and possibly greatest language.

And that folks is the story of how sailors got the gift of language known as FOUL. [B-o]

Gunnair @ Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:16 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Gunnair Gunnair:
Sorry, sailors swear.

You gotta be fucking shittin me. Who the fuck would have thought?

When God created languages he decided to give everybody a different one. For example, he gave the English english, The Irish gaelic, the French gibberish and when he finished giving all the peoples of the world language he found he had one language left over with no one to give it to. :?:

Well the lord being frugal decided to see if he could give it to a group rather than a people so, he looked down and saw a diverse group of fine, upstanding, stalwart, individuals who, because of his language polices couldn't communicate propertly. So he thought gee this isn't fair having these great people unable to communicate so right then and there he decided that, because of their dedication, selflessness and good moral standards they should be the recipients of his last and possibly greatest language.

And that folks is the story of how sailors got the gift of language known as FOUL. [B-o]

[B-o] I love being bilingual!

Unsound @ Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:16 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
I would have thought the 15 year old deserved to die because she was weak thread would have fallen under your guidelines here.

Frankly, that thread was treated in exactly the manner it deserved to be treated.

No?

Pretty sure I already suggested that my preferred method to deal with a thread about a 15 year old deserving to die because she was weak would be to point out the psychological effects of bulying and the fact that depression, which she most assuredly suffered from, is an actual illness that can't just be cured by telling the sufferer to toughen up. After that, if the op doesn't come up with anything more sensible the most productive use of one's time would probably be to ignore it. I'm pretty sure we've all been around the interwebs long enough to know the rule about trolls and the care and feeding thereof...

Gunnair @ Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:23 pm

Unsound Unsound:
Gunnair Gunnair:

No?

Pretty sure I already suggested that my preferred method to deal with a thread about a 15 year old deserving to die because she was weak would be to point out the psychological effects of bulying and the fact that depression, which she most assuredly suffered from, is an actual illness that can't just be cured by telling the sufferer to toughen up. After that, if the op doesn't come up with anything more sensible the most productive use of one's time would probably be to ignore it. I'm pretty sure we've all been around the interwebs long enough to know the rule about trolls and the care and feeding thereof...

We have. I think we've also been around enough to know that each will deal with a troll in their own way and not just your way.

SprCForr @ Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:34 pm

Bodah Bodah:
I'm not trying to make moderators jobs more difficult, you guys do enough as it is. I'm sure you have other interests in your lives besides babysitting a bunch of adults on an internet forum. I would never want to be a moderator on any forum. Twas just a suggestion not a demand. Looks like most people are ok with how things are as it is anyways. No problemo.

Being civil to each other and confining the mayhem to one area wouldn't make it one bit more difficult.

Life would be boring around here without the daily outrage.

Unsound @ Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:36 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
We have. I think we've also been around enough to know that each will deal with a troll in their own way and not just your way.

But my way is the right way... y can't you just see that? /sarcasm

In seriousness though, this whole thing started, this time atleast, not because of me defending a troll, because I wasn't really, but because of me defending(kind of) the other guy who was defending the troll(kind of). And it was, in part, a result of many other discusions that have been thrown off track by this piling on and bullying type behaviour that a few of us have talked about now. I doubt anyone really cares if you choose to call a troll a troll, or an asshole, or a shitstain, or whatever, but for too many people here the definition of troll now seems to include everyone who doesn't agree with you.

Gunnair @ Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:43 pm

Unsound Unsound:
Gunnair Gunnair:

But my way is the right way... y can't you just see that? /sarcasm

In seriousness though, this whole thing started, this time atleast, not because of me defending a troll, because I wasn't really, but because of me defending(kind of) the other guy who was defending the troll(kind of). And it was, in part, a result of many other discusions that have been thrown off track by this piling on and bullying type behaviour that a few of us have talked about now. I doubt anyone really cares if you choose to call a troll a troll, or an asshole, or a shitstain, or whatever, but for too many people here the definition of troll now seems to include everyone who doesn't agree with you.

Everyone's a troll who doesn't agree with me?

Sorry, you were the one wandering in tossing out 'gang trolling' as a blanket statement before ducking behind this latest series of pious posts. Just like you rolled in and petulantly tossed out the enviro-nazis label against those who did not support pipelines from Alberta.

But that doesn't throw a discussion off track does it?

It is on occasion astounding the arrogance you seem to be displaying here.

But I'm getting used to it.

Unsound @ Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:50 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
Just like you rolled in and petulantly tossed out the enviro-nazis label against those who did not support pipelines from Alberta.

Holy fuckballs! You just don't get it. I did not toss out enviro-nazis against everyone who didn't support pipelines. That's what you read into it. You were corrected by Caleb and myself. You chose to ignore it and and just go off being offended by what you decided I'd said. You went out of your fucking way to be offended by that despite proof to the contrary. Proof inthe form of Caleb telling you what I most likely meant and me agreeing with him. I'll just ignore the rest of your post because there really is no point talking to you when you get like this. Fuck it. I can't believe I'm about to say this but, Whatever man.

Gunnair @ Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:00 pm

Unsound Unsound:
Gunnair Gunnair:
Just like you rolled in and petulantly tossed out the enviro-nazis label against those who did not support pipelines from Alberta.

Holy fuckballs! You just don't get it. I did not toss out enviro-nazis against everyone who didn't support pipelines. That's what you read into it. You were corrected by Caleb and myself. You chose to ignore it and and just go off being offended by what you decided I'd said. You went out of your fucking way to be offended by that despite proof to the contrary. Proof inthe form of Caleb telling you what I most likely meant and me agreeing with him. I'll just ignore the rest of your post because there really is no point talking to you when you get like this. Fuck it. I can't believe I'm about to say this but, Whatever man.

I did get it.

$1:
The hard-core enviro-nazis who will oppose any pieline anywhere for any reason aren't voting for her anyways

There are a lot of very reasonable people who do not want pipelines through BC - be they Northern Gateway or a second one through Vancouver.

No pipelines through BC period.

And for that opinion, you opted to label them enviro-nazies. And since I also support both a tanker ban and do not support pipelines in BC because I know exactly the route tankers will use and have seen how difficult that area would be to clean up in a disaster, not to mention how many watersheds will need to be crossed through the interior of BC. So, I take your bullshit label personally.

As opposed to me not getting it, maybe you might want to put more thought into what you post lest you get negative reaction from it.

But as you say, whatever man.

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next