Canada Kicks Ass
Should CKA News Links always show the desciption and Image?

Previous  1  2

Canadaka @ Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:32 pm

DerbyX DerbyX:
I think most people wouldn't care if it didn't display any photos or descriptions at all unless you cursor hover. Would that eliminate that spacing problem or is that a consequence of any photo being inserted regardless of hovering?

Never displaying the photo or description would have the same fixed height as always showing it.

Your browser and operation system along with a bunch more data is part of the "header" request when viewing anything online. Log files store this data and I as a webmaster can use various tools to analyze these logs to get statistics like screen resolutions and much more.

Scape @ Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:35 pm

Why not just display the pictures for only the top ten most recent stories by default?

Canadaka @ Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:00 pm

Scape Scape:
Why not just display the pictures for only the top ten most recent stories by default?

hmm i could do that... never thought of that.

Hyack @ Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:30 pm

Has anyone taken into consideration that most stories posted do not have pics associated with them, never mind the ones with no description. It should be mandatory for all info, aside from a pic if none is available, to be filled in before the story is accepted.

Canadaka @ Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:06 pm

a story not having a picture is not a big deal, that doesn't change the layout. And a fairly low percentage of submissions don't have a description. That should become even lower when I finish the automated "upcoming" feature.

Another thing i'm thinking about is the "Forums" block in the top right of the homepage... i never use it, find it uselss. Since it doens't show which topics have a new post like the forum index "Recent topics" does.

So I was thinking of leaving it the way it is for guests, but for members having a mini recent topics block that actually shows topic tracking, like if there is a new post. the only problem with that is the limited space, that column is too thin. So I was considering making the homepage wider for members only. Everyone here has large widescreen LCD's right??? hehe I could also do some fancy javascript/css to have a toggle to make the side wider or shorter.

Canadaka @ Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:31 pm

The below screenshots are the 3 different ways of showing the news links on the homepage.

1) Only ever show story title
2) Always show description and image
3) Leave status quo

Strutz @ Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:49 pm

Story title only is enough for me.

Widening the homepage sounds like a great idea!

RUEZ @ Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:56 pm

I prefer only news story headline until you click on it. It keeps the home page cleaner.

Hyack @ Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:31 pm

I'd go for story title only, as it's neater and more uniform. Just as long as the description shows when you hover on the title.

Canadaka @ Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:54 pm

I changed the poll so you can change your vote.

I could also allow users to select which view they prefer in their profile.

Hyack @ Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:57 pm

$1:
I could also allow users to select which view they prefer in their profile.

That would be the best idea, let people pick the configuration they want.

Hyack @ Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:49 am

$1:
a story not having a picture is not a big deal, that doesn't change the layout. And a fairly low percentage of submissions don't have a description

Well Trev, I just have to call bullsh*t on this......0 out of 12 stories this morning have a description attached to them.....the story should not be accepted without a description!

snookums @ Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:13 am

Hyack Hyack:
Well Trev, I just have to call bullsh*t on this......0 out of 12 stories this morning have a description attached to them.....the story should not be accepted without a description!

I agree. It irks me when there is no description, as I usually rely on it to see if I want to read the rest of the story.

Hyack @ Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:58 am

There are 21 stories submitted today with no descriptions attached, how hard is it going to be to have ALL fields filled in (minus pics) as a prerequisite before the story will be accepted?

Canadaka @ Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:08 pm

well my thinking when i built it was its better to have something rather than nothing...

When I finish the "Upcoming" page it should make news without descriptions less frequent.

But it wouldn't be hard for me to change the code so descriptions are required.

Previous  1  2