Canada Kicks Ass
Should CKA News Links always show the desciption and Image?

1  2  Next

Canadaka @ Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:59 am

The news on the homepage by default doesn't show the description and image on the page. Its visible if you hover over the title. Last year sometime I made it so if a story gets enough votes or hits the description and image is shown. The problem with that is often this doesn't happen until the story is a day old or late in the day.

In contrast the dedicated news page http://www.canadaka.net/news_links always shows the description and image.

I original only showed the news title, to save horizontal space, allowing for the most amount of stories without scrolling. But peoples monitors and resolutions has increased over the past few years.

My question is, which do people prefer?

Canadaka @ Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:59 pm

bump. I should stop posting these things in the middle of the night.

Hyack @ Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:22 pm

Canadaka Canadaka:
bump. I should stop posting these things in the middle of the night.

Yep

Canadaka @ Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:12 pm

today is a good example, right now none of today's stories are showing the descriptions or images. Here are 2 screenshots comparing

DerbyX @ Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:14 pm

Does having pictures and/or descriptions have any adverse affects on the system? Does it load faster and with fewer problems with or without or is there no real difference at all?

TattoodGirl @ Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:15 pm

I like the pics and the description. Now if I could figure out how sometimes I can post a pic with the link and sometimes I just bomb...would be nice

Canadaka @ Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:16 pm

one of the problems with only showing the descriptions and images on certain storys is that the length/height of the news is never fixed, it always changes. So there often is this large white gap that drives me nuts. If I always show the descriptions the height of the news links will always be the same. I could also just change the layout so there are 2 columns the entire length of the page.

TattoodGirl @ Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:19 pm

hmmmm...ya that does look off. Do what ever you think would work the best and whatever is the easiest for you.

Canadaka @ Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:19 pm

DerbyX DerbyX:
Does having pictures and/or descriptions have any adverse affects on the system? Does it load faster and with fewer problems with or without or is there no real difference at all?

No it doesn't put any extra load on the system or your load time, since they are being loaded in the RED popup window anyways.

TattoodGirl TattoodGirl:
I like the pics and the description. Now if I could figure out how sometimes I can post a pic with the link and sometimes I just bomb...would be nice

This is something I'm going to try and fix with the overhaul i'm doing. The image upload is very picky. the URL has to END with .jpg or .png

Often news images from sites have crap after the extension. I'm going to make it more intelligent in determining if its a valid image, not based on the file extention ni the URL.

Canadaka @ Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:19 pm

TattoodGirl TattoodGirl:
hmmmm...ya that does look off. Do what ever you think would work the best and whatever is the easiest for you.

heh, well I wanna do what people like or will use the most.

Canadaka @ Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:23 pm

I wish I could make the site wider to fit more in. But still 30% of visits in the last month are using 1024x768 resolution. 3% are using 800x600, WTF are these people thinking! lol most sites look like ass at 800x600 and will have to scroll horizontaly.

DerbyX @ Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:23 pm

I think most people wouldn't care if it didn't display any photos or descriptions at all unless you cursor hover. Would that eliminate that spacing problem or is that a consequence of any photo being inserted regardless of hovering?

TattoodGirl @ Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:23 pm

Canadaka Canadaka:
TattoodGirl TattoodGirl:

heh, well I wanna do what people like or will use the most.

Ok...well I am torn now that you showed me the blank white space. I like the pics and the description but that white space doesnt work so well for me. I am cool with whatever you pick...works all the same just have to click on the link.

DerbyX @ Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:24 pm

Canadaka Canadaka:
I wish I could make the site wider to fit more in. But still 30% of visits in the last month are using 1024x768 resolution. 3% are using 800x600, WTF are these people thinking! lol most sites look like ass at 800x600 and will have to scroll horizontaly.

How do you know what screen resolution people are using?

ridenrain @ Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:56 pm

Pictures just take up space.

1  2  Next