Canada Kicks Ass
Sick Of This

AdamNF @ Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:15 am

I am so sick of every thread on this forum being about the USA. All people do here is bitch about the USA and what there doing wrong, i came to this site to talk to Canadians not bitch at them. There are like 10 threads that have turned into the same US/Canada bitching. I think somthing needs to be done to turn this site from that type of posting, i mean im really getting sick of posting here.

mike2277 @ Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:41 am

I wish I could tell you that you're wrong.

thirdEye @ Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:05 am

Anonymous Anonymous:
It's like a child with low self-esteem - bash and insult others to make yourself feel better. It's an all too common affliction.

It has become a disturbing tendency of some Canadians to define themselves by what they're not, rather than by what they are.

Whoops - I didn't notice that I wasn't logged in. The above was posted by me.

I didn't even realize you could post anonymously.

karra @ Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:06 pm

Hey Adam! Don't take it personal and make yourself ill. That happens on most forums. People lock horns and sometimes even become fierce enemies as even happens in the real world. There are some horrendous stories of stalking out there and occasionally cyber friendships develop causing some people to actually think they're real.

Go and look around if you don't believe me, and I just know you don't - as usual!

People like you who post steadfastly and don't insult or flame are the backbone of a forum. Even if they don't know the difference between 'their, they're and there. So there. :wink:

But, if you think you have it bad, read this:

safer landmines

Just be careful how you tread.

figfarmer @ Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:47 pm

I started a thread on Laura Secord and some poorly educated Yank had to jump on it and come out with some bullshit on it. Oh well, we can't just stop talking because they're all poorly informed. Maybe they'll all get drafted and go away.

Rev_Blair @ Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:56 pm

I understand your concern Adam, but I really don't see how you can get around it. Our politics are unduly influenced by the US...everything from decriminalising pot to having a steak is affected by their policies. Many of our politicians are, at best, apologists for the US...usually because of corporations as much as anything else. That pretty much leaves every thread in the politics section open to a discussion of US policy.

One of the most active topics here is Canada/US. I don't see a way of keeping the US out of that.

Another is Canadian History. I don't spend much time there, being more interested in the history that is happening presently and what happened centuries and millenia ago, but the US is bound to come up in a topic like that, just like my neighbours come up in conversations about my yard.

Maybe we need a "Strictly Canadian" topic. Something that begins with a warning that everything must be Canadian. I don't know you'd keep the American influence out though...everything from our music to our TV shows to our socks is somehow related to US policy and how Canada has reacted to it.

It's funny...my Irish great grandmother used to complain that Canada was too connected to England. We've just traded one dominating power for another.

RoyalHighlander @ Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:56 pm

well im here to tell you that I will be moderating with a tighter control here now, as Adam made a VERY good point and we are going to tryto get this site back to what it once was and stop its decline into mediocrity and become like so many other site on the net... Good point Adam