Canada Kicks Ass
Would People Mind if I don't display medals on topic pages?

Canadaka @ Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:26 am

I have been going through the database queries done every time a viewtopic page is loaded, there was over 30 queries for each request. I have managed to cache 4 of them and I got rid of 1 or 2.

But the User medals is adding many queries, on a typical topic page it doubles the amount of queries. If i disable showing medals on topic pages the number of queries drops to around 10 or 11.

So I was thinking about disabling showing users medals in the hoverbox when you place your mouse over someones avatar... The medals are still present, one just has to click to view the persons profile.

But i wanted to see what others though, will people miss not having the medals shown there?

CanAm1 @ Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:08 am

If it helps then do it Trevor. I don't mind at all. Thanks for your efforts to improve the site also. :) :rock:

Canadaka @ Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:13 am

hehe thanks, I have a small obsession with making the site/forums faster.

Public_Domain @ Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:34 am

Yes, if it speeds it up, sure.

Regina @ Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:36 am

The site is a little slow today but that happens from time to time. However the Profile page always loads very slowly.

Canadaka @ Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:37 pm

that is a seperate ongoing issue, I am working on getting a new server, the disks are starting to die in the current one.

bootlegga @ Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:39 pm

Actually, it only showed three of my five when you moved the mouse over it...still, I liked it. I guess if it makes the site better...

novachick @ Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:52 pm

Sure what ever works best.

travior @ Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:15 pm

Anything that improves the efficiency of the site is fine!

Canadaka @ Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:14 am

I may try to figure out a way to show them without adding 10+ queries.

The problem with so many of these mods people make is they don't scale well on large forums because they arn't coded efficiently.