Canada Kicks Ass
Canada: a nation of bigots?

Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

ShepherdsDog @ Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:14 pm

Why was the Italian afraid to go into the forest?

He heard it was full of bigga tree. :lol:

Ethnic jokes are mean when they try and make the targeted groups appear other than human. making fun of ethnic stereo types, not so much. Examples being, jokes about the tragedies suffered by Jews during the Holocaust aren't funny, but jokes about Jewish mothers are.

GreenTiger @ Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:21 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
GreenTiger GreenTiger:
Canada is as far removed from bigitry as you can get. The only thing that gets anywhere near close is Quebec, but they are more just a nationalistic pain in the ass, but every country has a group that is a national pain the ass.

When was the last time you were in Canada?

Two years ago. Is was around Christmas time in Ottawa. I had a great time and met a lot of very friendly people who made me feel right at home just like any other time I visited up north (I like going to places outside the tourist season).

What I found interesting is that when I went to Hull I found that the locals are much more tolerant of an American speaking English than a Canadian speaking English.

raydan @ Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:26 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:

Ethnic jokes are mean when they try and make the targeted groups appear other than human. making fun of ethnic stereo types, not so much. Examples being, jokes about the tragedies suffered by Jews during the Holocaust aren't funny, but jokes about Jewish mothers are.

I went to an English school in Montreal, grades 3 to 5. Contrary to me, most of the kids that went to that school, were not French Québecers, some Jews but mostly Italians. I had friends in both groups and I think I never met better moms. I got hugged a lot, was well fed, but also heard some epic discussions/arguments, though I couldn't understand a word being said. :lol:

GreenTiger @ Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:30 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
You should spend some time in rural Canada. We're not so tolerant as you'd like to imagine. I hear nigger jokes every day. The gas station/convenience store uptown town is commonly referred to as the Packi-mart, so as not to confuse it with the Chink-mart convenience store downtown.

Come to think of it the most rural place I've been to in Canada is Niagra Falls, which is not very rural.

The rural language you are referring to sounds sort of like some of the rural
places down here.

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:32 pm

GreenTiger GreenTiger:
Lemmy Lemmy:
You should spend some time in rural Canada. We're not so tolerant as you'd like to imagine. I hear nigger jokes every day. The gas station/convenience store uptown town is commonly referred to as the Packi-mart, so as not to confuse it with the Chink-mart convenience store downtown.

Come to think of it the most rural place I've been to in Canada is Niagra Falls, which is not very rural.

The rural language you are referring to sounds sort of like some of the rural
places down here.

Exactly. There are still no shortage of small towns up here where non-whites really aren't welcome.

saturn_656 @ Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:33 pm

Yup I dunno what'd wer'all doo wuthout them bright city slickers to make us dum hicks out in the sticks look good. :lol:

Lemmy @ Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:35 pm

There's so little integration in rural Canada that it's not unexpected, but it is embarrassing. The highschool in town has roughly 1000 students. There might be 4 or 5 black kids; maybe 20 total visible minorities, mostly Japanese kids whose parents work at the Toyota plant.

ShepherdsDog @ Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:38 pm

raydan raydan:
ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:

I went to an English school in Montreal, grades 3 to 5. Contrary to me, most of the kids that went to that school, were not French Québecers, some Jews but mostly Italians. I had friends in both groups and I think I never met better moms. I got hugged a lot, was well fed, but also heard some epic discussions/arguments, though I couldn't understand a word being said. :lol:

Christianity borrowed many things from the Jews(too bad monotheism wasn't one of them :wink: )....Catholics especially appreciated the 'guilt trip'. :D

ShepherdsDog @ Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:41 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
There's so little integration in rural Canada that it's not unexpected, but it is embarrassing. The highschool in town has roughly 1000 students. There might be 4 or 5 black kids; maybe 20 total visible minorities, mostly Japanese kids whose parents work at the Toyota plant.

out on the prairies most of the non whites(other than natives) were asians. Most small towns on the prairies have one or two Chinese families in them that run a restaurant or store. Even my wife's hometown of 400 had two Chinese families....for them, Ukrainians were the rare ones....lots of square heads though.

saturn_656 @ Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:50 pm

$1:
lots of square heads though.

We prefer the term Kraut. :lol:

Thanos @ Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:12 am

Hey kraut, quit starting all those wars, eh. 8)

GreenTiger @ Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:37 am

Thanos Thanos:
Hey kraut, quit starting all those wars, eh. 8)

At the present time "the Krauts" seem to be dominating europe without a war. Welcome to the 21st Century.

Gunnair @ Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:11 am

GreenTiger GreenTiger:
Gunnair Gunnair:
GreenTiger GreenTiger:
Canada is as far removed from bigitry as you can get. The only thing that gets anywhere near close is Quebec, but they are more just a nationalistic pain in the ass, but every country has a group that is a national pain the ass.

When was the last time you were in Canada?

Two years ago. Is was around Christmas time in Ottawa. I had a great time and met a lot of very friendly people who made me feel right at home just like any other time I visited up north (I like going to places outside the tourist season).

What I found interesting is that when I went to Hull I found that the locals are much more tolerant of an American speaking English than a Canadian speaking English.

:roll: Okay.

Last time I was in the US (San Francisco)I also had a great time and so no examples of racism

The US must also be as far from bigoted as possible because of my experience.

GreenTiger @ Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:20 am

What does our travel to each other's country have to do with racism?

True, all countries mine and yours have things about them that that we are not exactly proud of, but Canada as a "racist Country"?.

raydan @ Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:40 am

GreenTiger GreenTiger:
What does our travel to each other's country have to do with racism?

True, all countries mine and yours have things about them that that we are not exactly proud of, but Canada as a "racist Country"?.

He's calling you out because you found Québecers racist... and you responded it was because you went to Hull 2 years ago.

Mind you, I'm calling you out too... because I've spent WAY more time in Québec than you have. First of all, when you say that we're not very tolerant of English speaking Canadians (I'm not saying they are or aren't, it would be hard to convince you one way or another), maybe you should check to see how tolerant English Canadians are towards French Canadians.

Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  8  Next