Canada Kicks Ass
canadian english

Previous  1  2  3  4  5 ... 8  Next

Koopsta @ Sat May 17, 2003 7:50 pm

We speak the most easily undertood english around the world because we've evolved from British and American English. Our national idiosyncrasies are a result of our own uniqueness but i don't believe in the aboot thing tho.

Johnny-Canuck @ Sat May 17, 2003 8:12 pm

The whole aboot and eh thing came from Bob and Doug Mackenzie. There were no steriotypical Canadian lingo until they came along.

Koopsta @ Sat May 17, 2003 9:05 pm

I'd say we always had the proud eh in there i hear it alot

Rev_Blair @ Sun May 18, 2003 6:13 am

Bob and Doug were just exaggerrating what they noticed about the way we speak, or rather the way a certain type of Canadian speaks. There isn't one Canadian accent any more than there's a single American accent or a single British accent...the way you speak depends on where you come from and the people around you.

Johnny-Canuck @ Sun May 18, 2003 10:49 am

So does that mean aboot and eh? actually were around before Bob and Doug came around? :|

Cowtown_Girl @ Tue May 20, 2003 6:34 am

I didn't believe we said aboot either until I moved to the states and it was brought to my attention. I don't think we say 'aboot' as obivously as everyone claims we do...if anything it's somewhere in between the american about and the alleged canadian aboot.
Am I making sense...it's early, I'm at work...I feel like crap...

electricbuford @ Tue May 20, 2003 7:04 am

I have a friend in Edmonton and she pronounces it A - BOAT . And she rarely adds an Eh when she talks .

Hopper @ Tue May 20, 2003 7:10 am

Lard Tunderin' Bye!

Dats da hite o foolishness!!

Where ya at? I'll come where ya to!

:D

bmwchubb @ Thu May 22, 2003 4:50 pm

jugendlicher_deutscher jugendlicher_deutscher:
the canadians speak british english, don't they??

They only speak to english freaks like me ...lolol...

Twila @ Fri May 23, 2003 4:12 pm

While I was in New Zealand last year I was told that yes, I do say aboot. It was pointed out when I was talking.

And some Newfoundlanders have a very thick accent completely different then other canadians. Then there's the French-Canadians. Also some people from Ontarioi speak slightly different then we BCer's do. This I know cause I work with many of them.

jugendlicher_deutscher @ Sat May 31, 2003 5:03 pm

french-canadians.............LOL

ABSOLUT_SS @ Sat May 31, 2003 5:45 pm

I think everybody talks with a regional accent. Annapolis Valley reidents in NS, hear me? The first time I heard a buddy of mine from NS talk "english", I thought I was in Georgia, for Christ's sake. I spent some time in New York state, & New York City is a hell of a lot different than upstate NY. Matter-of-fact, it takes some getting used to when ya come back home, 'jus to understand. Hey, anybody remember " J.D. ROBERTS" from the original "much music" out of T.O.?, circa 1982-'83? He's now the senior White House correspondent for CBS. Check him out, he's on at six-thirty every fucking night on you're local affiliate. Talks a little diffent now than he did then...lol...and he lost the pony-tail, lol again! Evolution, me thinks.

ABSOLUT_SS @ Sat May 31, 2003 6:08 pm

Germany, now THERE'S a subject!!! And I agree jugendlicher, I don't have "SS" at the end of my tag for nothing! "french-canadians", my ass. My Father was Norwegian, Mama was Irish, but I'm not a "Norwegian Canadian", or a damn "Irish Canadian", I'm CANADIAN! Till death do us part, says here...

ABSOLUT_SS @ Sat May 31, 2003 6:12 pm

I think everybody talks with a regional accent. Annapolis Valley reidents in NS, hear me? The first time I heard a buddy of mine from NS talk "english", I thought I was in Georgia, for Christ's sake. I spent some time in New York state, & New York City is a hell of a lot different than upstate NY. Matter-of-fact, it takes some getting used to when ya come back home, 'jus to understand. Hey, anybody remember " J.D. ROBERTS" from the original "much music" out of T.O.?, circa 1982-'83? He's now the senior White House correspondent for CBS. Talks a little diffent now than he did then...lol

RoyalHighlander @ Sat May 31, 2003 6:34 pm

jugendlicher_deutscher jugendlicher_deutscher:
french-canadians.............LOL

Thats enough of that friend ! !

Previous  1  2  3  4  5 ... 8  Next