Canada Kicks Ass
Have you lost faith in the RCMP?

1  2  3  4  Next

RoyalHighlander @ Sun May 27, 2012 6:30 am

Tell us why you voted the way you did.....

Gunnair @ Sun May 27, 2012 8:23 am

I'm unsure. Mostly, what we see in the RCMP are the handful of bad apples under media scrutiny - that's good. What is more distressing for me is the apparent mollycoddling of these people by the leadership. It is very apparent, or it should be, that the average Canuck is not currently enamoured with its national police force and that should require more than just tough talk to deal with these bad apples. That calls for very tough action to regain the public trust and obviously with the lastest example or a demotion and fine for a guy with a history of sexual harassment and a list of other issues, that ain't happening. Until we see some tough measures, things won't change and their reputation will remain in the toilet.

Guy_Fawkes @ Sun May 27, 2012 8:26 am

Gunnair Gunnair:
I'm unsure. Mostly, what we see in the RCMP are the handful of bad apples under media scrutiny - that's good. What is more distressing for me is the apparent mollycoddling of these people by the leadership. It is very apparent, or it should be, that the average Canuck is not currently enamoured with its national police force and that should require more than just tough talk to deal with these bad apples. That calls for very tough action to regain the public trust and obviously with the lastest example or a demotion and fine for a guy with a history of sexual harassment and a list of other issues, that ain't happening. Until we see some tough measures, things won't change and their reputation will remain in the toilet.

I feel the same way, I dont want to say I have lost all faith but it has tarnished the image I had when I thought of the Mounties.

andyt @ Sun May 27, 2012 8:29 am

Unsure. They need to reform, and with this new commissioner do seem to be at least making a start. But they have a long ways to go - the rot is in the higher ranks and I think will take a long time to clear out. It's not just the actions of the goons, but the coverups and enabling by the higher ups.

What is for certain is their feet need to be held to the fire.

dino_bobba_renno @ Sun May 27, 2012 8:51 am

I voted yes. There’s been just too many scandals as of late. I know it’s not overly fair to judge an entire organization the size of the RCMP based on the actions of a few but I think the string of incidents that we’ve been hearing about speaks to the fact there is indeed some sort of “culture” within the organization where some members feel that there are two sets of rules; one for them and one for everyone else.

One thing that I would add though is that even though I think there are problems with in the RCMP that need to be addressed I still feel they are a better police service than many of the municipal police services. When it comes to the Calgary police service I have no faith in them what so ever. In my mind they’re nothing more than a bunch of municipal tax collectors. I don’t think I’ve ever had an experience with the Calgary police service that was positive and if you were to ask who had a better chance of catching a bad guy I’d go with the RCMP any day.

EyeBrock @ Sun May 27, 2012 8:59 am

Mmm. I think that the public image of all police has been tarnished. Unfortunately the 1% of shitty cops continue to present a gift to our media who just won't stop digging shit up.

Maybe they could give judges, lawyers, other media types, doctors, teachers et al the same treatment?

martin14 @ Sun May 27, 2012 9:20 am

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Mmm. I think that the public image of all police has been tarnished. Unfortunately the 1% of shitty cops continue to present a gift to our media who just won't stop digging shit up.

You're blaming the media for all the stupid shit cops do ?

Well, if there wasn't so much shit laying around, there wouldn't be any need
to dig it up.

I voted yes, Donald Ray being the latest in a loooooong list that is only getting longer.

They take a guy who drinks on the job, sex on the job, and like to show his dick around.

In any normal company, this guy is fired on the spot.
Instead, they ship him to BC, but the RCMP, in their incredible arrogance,
won't say where he is posted.. :roll:

Transparency ? Responsibility ? Public Service ? not seeing any of it.

Never mind the 4 in Vancouver, who should have been fired years ago, but aren't.
We continue to pay their salaries, in a clear show of once you join the RCMP,
you can't be fired even if you kill people.

Just ridiculous, and the police seem to be completely blind to it.

This isn't a few apples, this is systemic statements of,

bosses first, cops second, the thin blue line third. The Public
is nowhere on the list anymore.

EyeBrock @ Sun May 27, 2012 9:30 am

I see stupid, criminal shit that judges, other lawyers, doctors and teachers do on a regular basis. None of it makes the media.

Also, getting rid of people comes under the various employment laws at provincial and federal levels, not at the whim of the RCMP Commish.

Your seething blame-crusade is finding the wrong mark. Legislators in various parliaments make the rules, not the cops but lets not get in the way of a hate-fest eh?

Let's put these issues into context. If you look at the G20 for example, 28 cops were named after a 20 month investigation by the OIPRD. That's out of 18,000 who were there. Yet everyday we see the Tor Star go on about those 28.

Fairness in reporting would be a good start.

Regina @ Sun May 27, 2012 9:33 am

In Ontario we have virtually no contact with them so I can't form an honest opinion. Other than what the news spits out there is nothing here to base an opinion based on personal contact..........just agenda or sensational news reporting.

andyt @ Sun May 27, 2012 9:37 am

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
I see stupid, criminal shit that judges, other lawyers, doctors and teachers do on a regular basis. None of it makes the media.

Also, getting rid of people comes under the various employment laws at provincial and federal levels, not at the whim of the RCMP Commish.

Your seething blame-crusade is finding the wrong mark. Legislators in various parliaments make the rules, not the cops but lets not get in the way of a hate-fest eh?

Let's put these issues into context. If you look at the G20 for example, 28 cops were named after a 20 month investigation by the OIPRD. That's out of 18,000 who were there. Yet everyday we see the Tor Star go on about those 28.

Fairness in reporting would be a good start.

None of those professions have killed people because of the stupid shit they did under the rubric of their profession.

It's not provincial or federal employment laws that are keeping the rotten apples employed - it's the RCMP's own employment rules. They could change those.

The media goes on about the few cops that do fuck up, because it's such an important issue. You really want us to turn a blind eye to all that, consider it business as usual?

Unsound @ Sun May 27, 2012 9:39 am

While I agree that the media does seem to delight in going on and on about the bad guys that's really not the major problem. There will always be a few bad apples and the media will always love to point them out. Most people have the sense to realize that any organization the size of the RCMP will have a few people in it who souldn't be. That's just unavoidable no matter how well they screen applicants.

The problem, as others have said, is that nothing seems to happen to the bad ones. I would never dream of judging an entire force base on the actions of a few bad officers, but when those actions are covered up by fellow officers, or when the leadership does nothing or practically nothing to punish the bad ones...

martin14 @ Sun May 27, 2012 9:40 am

Take it easy EB, you're a good chap, and let's face it, this is about the only area where you and I disagree. [B-o]

Look, if the RCMP had come out and said,

" We did an investigation into Donald, he drinks at work, he screwed a subordinate at work,
and he tried to sexually assault a civie.

He's an asswipe, he's gone.. pension too. "

I say no problem, job done.. But that's not what is happening, is it ?

Instead, he gets a nothing slap on the wrist, and is now hidden from the public,
the bosses won't even say where he has been posted.

You think this is a good thing ?

EyeBrock @ Sun May 27, 2012 9:43 am

Getting rid of people has been made very difficult by various employment Acts.

Every public service job is the same. It's misplaced anger to get pissed off at police services that are forced to keep the minority of lazy, corrupt or criminal employees on the payroll far longer than needed. The anger should be aimed at those who drafted and enacted the legislation.

And no hard feelings Martin!

Unsound @ Sun May 27, 2012 10:58 am

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Getting rid of people has been made very difficult by various employment Acts.

I bet the Vatican wishes they'd thought of that excuse.

EyeBrock @ Sun May 27, 2012 11:03 am

Not an excuse mate. Fact and reality. A little more scrutiny of other occupations would reveal much the same if not worse misconduct and employment silliness.

1  2  3  4  Next