Canada Kicks Ass
Protest Music of the Bush Era

Public_Domain @ Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:45 pm

a look into that whole weird anti/pro bush genre of music
that plagued the first decade of the millennium

Thanos @ Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:52 am

I'd toss out Springsteen's Wrecking Ball as one of the bigger albums centered around the Bush era from one of the bigger names. Less to do with Sept 11 or the war as opposed to the destruction from Hurricane Katrina and the 2008 meltdown. Pretty angry tone from end to end in it, along with a good dose of wanting to see some Jacobin-grade violence dealt out to the banker class for what the did to the working people with the mortgage debacle:

there ain't no help, the cavalry stayed home...

yeah, sing it hard and sing it well, send the robber barons straight to hell...

There’s nothing to it mister, you won’t hear a sound
When your whole world comes tumbling down
And all them fat cats, they’ll just think it’s funny

All in all it was a scathing indictment of the American aristos. Look beneath the typical Springsteen music and there's some real hatred there for those who are pulling the US down into the mire.

DrCaleb @ Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:38 am

One of my faves.

Tricks @ Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:16 am

Thanos @ Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:20 am

Never knew why Green Day gets so much shit given they're about the only band close to the mainstream part of the spectrum that still has some genuine fucking rage in them. Generational rage. Economic rage. Anti-war rage. And most of all the rage of those who get tossed aside because they simply don't matter to the masters, or to the most fortunate (and most selfish) generation in all of history who went out of their way to fuck over everyone who came after them.

We are the class of '13
Born in the era of humility
We are the desperate in the decline
Raised by the bastards of 1969

Anyone who still can't understand why the young people are so goddamn fucking ENRAGED is just deaf, blind, dumb, and stupid. Those who are angry aren't the problem, the ones who refuse to get mad at all this endless aristocratic shit going on are the problem. Servile fucking idiots. :evil:

Tricks @ Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:05 pm

RATM has announced a tour, and I'm pretty sure Zach de la Rocha is still going to be super angry. I mean most of their music was written during the Clinton era, I can only imagine how angry they're going to be mad right now. Morello hasn't been exactly quiet recently.

Scape @ Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:08 pm

Public_Domain @ Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:31 pm

oh, we're posting songs? i apologize in advance... :lol:
5 punk/rock songs from the bush era that i still love!

Thanos @ Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:06 pm

Dropkicks and Street Dogs kicked in old school with the old songs back in the 00's.

money speaks for money, the devil for his own
who comes to speak for the skin and the bone....

And when the sky darkens and the prospect is war
Who's given a gun and then pushed to the fore
And expected to die for the land of our birth
Though we've never owned one lousy handful of earth....