Canada Kicks Ass
I Can't Believe we made it!!!!!!!!

1  2  Next

canucker @ Sat May 28, 2005 6:03 pm

I Can't Believe we made it!!!!!!!!

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who
were kids in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's or even the early 80's,
probably shouldn't have survived.

Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint.

We had no childproof lids or locks on medicine bottles, doors, or cabinets, and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. Not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking. As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. Horrors!

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one
actually died from this.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. No cell phones. Unthinkable!

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, no video games at
all, no 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell phones, personal computers, or Internet chat rooms.

We had friends! We went outside and found them.

We played dodge ball, and sometimes, the ball would really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was to blame but us. Remember accidents?

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out any eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rang the bell or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Some students weren't as smart as others, so they failed a grade and were
held back to repeat the same grade.

Horrors!

Tests were not adjusted for any reason.

Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected.

The idea of parents bailing us out if we got in trouble in school or broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the school or the law. Imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers, and inventors, ever.

We had freedom, failure, success, and responsibility --- and we learned how to deal with it.

Congratulations. We made it!

canadian1971 @ Sat May 28, 2005 6:22 pm

Amen Canucker! :lol:

$1:

My Dad would sit me on his lap and let me drive! This with other family members in the car too...I was no more than 9.

$1:
actually died from this.

Never even heard of peanut allergies til the 90's!

$1:
all, no 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell phones, personal computers, or Internet chat rooms.

I had a "Flying Snoopy" when I was a kid...sadly he melted when I caught the christmas tree on fire! :oops:

$1:

Especially when you got it in right in the face! :lol: or worse...the testies! :cry:

$1:

Rub it in why doncha! :( :P

$1:
The idea of parents bailing us out if we got in trouble in school or broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the school or the law. Imagine that!

My Dad caught me stealing when I was 13-14....he called the cops!

Thanks eh...congrats to you too! :lol:

Tman1 @ Sat May 28, 2005 6:32 pm

Was all of this in Corner Brook with the one tall building? :wink:

canucker @ Sat May 28, 2005 11:24 pm

canadian1971 canadian1971:
Amen Canucker! :lol:

$1:

My Dad would sit me on his lap and let me drive! This with other family members in the car too...I was no more than 9.

$1:
actually died from this.

Never even heard of peanut allergies til the 90's!

$1:

I had a "Flying Snoopy" when I was a kid...sadly he melted when I caught the christmas tree on fire! :oops:

$1:

Especially when you got it in right in the face! :lol: or worse...the testies! :cry:

$1:

Rub it in why doncha! :( :P

$1:

My Dad caught me stealing when I was 13-14....he called the cops!

Thanks eh...congrats to you too! :lol:

So true. Peanut butter allergies? Yeah, we never had that problem. And my favourite electronic toy as a kid was Merlin. :P

CanadianLynx @ Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:12 am

Rush home from school so I could watch T.V." Thats in Black & White" those old reliable TVs that had good reception only if you had the antenna turned the right way.
Many times had to run outside and use the wrench to twist the 30' antenna to the right direction
Allowed to watch 1/2hr of cartoons before my parents would watch programs like "The Edge Of Night,Secret Storm,Whats My Line,Art Linkletter....."
No wonder we stayed outside longer when we were young..lol

ziggy @ Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:50 am

When we did stay inside and watch tv during the day it was Stampede wrestling which led to the living room getting converted into a wrestling ring. :lol:

Hester @ Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:29 am

With only three TV Stations, one in French, there was nothing to watch. Sundays were particular agony. I remember "The Edge of Night" being only 1/2 an hour, not that I cared.
My 11-year-old is in grade 6, I asked him when his final exams are. He says "Exams or tests?" I say "Whichever."
"We don't have any."
"When was your last exam?"
"I dunno, a few weeks ago maybe."
So what are they doing in school? What do they do for the last month, month and a half? He's excited cuz they start to learn some cooking next week.

Hester @ Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:47 am

Some kids work their ass off and get the A+ average, some do the bare minimum, or less, and get a D or whatever the teacher gives them to pass. The books all show them as exactly the same. There is zero incentive, other than personal satisfaction, to do your best and try your hardest.

DerbyX @ Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:50 am

When i was your age I had to walk 3 miles to school and back again up a hill both ways through the blinding freezing rain fighting grizzly bears the whole way. You kids have it easy. :D

FireWire @ Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:05 am

DerbyX DerbyX:
When i was your age I had to walk 3 miles to school and back again up a hill both ways through the blinding freezing rain fighting grizzly bears the whole way. You kids have it easy. :D

Hell yeah they have it easy and they still whining about their yellow school bus the fact it's yellow! :)

Hester @ Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:09 am

DerbyX DerbyX:

Me too, but in my father's pajamas.

And Lily, I'm not aware of any rewards at my son's school. From what he does, and half-assed as he does it, I don't see why he would try any harder. Other than to piss me off less.

truecdneh @ Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:21 am

Ahh... I had to read this forum to understand what the topic was actually about. I couldn't agree with you guys more. It is completely unbelievable how anal society is becoming.. I can understand some obvious things.. i.e. seatbelts on school buses for example.. but geezus.. some of this other stuff. Have you heard about some crackpot county in the states wanting to ban 'heading' the ball in soccer and make the kids wear helmets?? like WTF !

Hester @ Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:41 am

It's true that we've discovered that some things aren't as safe as we thought they were. But if two kids are allergic to milk, the latest example I can think of, does it make sense to ban it in the entire school? I don't know if it's like peanut butter where some allergies are so bad that just the scent of it can cause a severe reaction. If it's that bad, sure, keep it away. But if it isn't, do the administrators feel that there is a danger that these kids might grab someone's milk and drink it? Or some bully will force it down their throats? A 5-year-old allergic to milk knows to stay away from it and to ask/avoid anything with milk in it. Are people, of all ages, not just school kids, afraid to take responsibility for themselves? IE: I know coffee is hot, but didn't tell me it was THAT hot! Responsibility can be a scary thing, but you have to take responsibility for yourself.

CanadianLynx @ Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:09 am

How did we survive school when going to the library, was going to the school library which didn't have enough material for everyone.

Your parents can't help with the "new math" as they only had grade 8 education themselves.

You miss 3wks of school because your in the hospital.Come back just in time to write the exam on the material you missed..and your marks if you got any, are posted on the board for "Parent Teacher Night" :cry:

You have a Russian math teacher who you can't understand,and he talks to the blackboard while explaining the work.
If you don't get it he trows chalk at you

Oh and who can forget those "Polio" shots...

CanadianLynx @ Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:11 am

CanadianLynx CanadianLynx:
How did we survive school when going to the library, was going to the school library which didn't have enough material for everyone.

Your parents can't help with the "new math" as they only had grade 8 education themselves.

You miss 3wks of school because your in the hospital.Come back just in time to write the exam on the material you missed..and your marks if you got any, are posted on the board for "Parent Teacher Night" :cry:

You have a Russian math teacher who you can't understand,and he talks to the blackboard while explaining the work.
If you don't get it he trows chalk at you

Oh and who can forget those "Polio" shots...

forgetting to "Proof Read" before you post...lol

1  2  Next