Canada Kicks Ass
Folklorama: The largest multiculturalism festival

Curtman @ Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:45 am

July 31 - August 13, 2011

Every year Winnipeg is host to a festival of diversity, where volunteers host pavilions to teach about different cultures around the world.

Folklorama: Celebrating Diversity!

$1:
Folklorama began in 1970 as a one time multicultural event to celebrate Manitoba's Centennial. It was so successful it has returned every year since then.

In 1970, the festival was only 7 days long with 21 pavilions participating. Since then the festival has grown to two full weeks with 20-plus pavilions open in week 1 and a second set of 20 pavilions running in week 2. Today, the fesitval typically draws about 425,000 pavilion visits plus 15,000 visitors to the Kick-Off event held the night before pavilions open.

Three programs have grown out of the festival's success, each one working to fullfill our mission of "Celebrating diversity and promoting cultural understanding"

It's a great event, it's strange to me that other cities in Canada haven't copied this.

City of Winnipeg Police Pipe Band piping their entrance to The Pavilion of Scotland:

Dancing of the Henan TV Children's Art Troupe from China & demonstration of a chinese martial art at the Chinese Pavilion.

Mexico Pavillion Dance

Belgian Folk Dance

sandorski @ Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:32 pm

It's a good idea. Here on the Coast we have various Cultural events at various times of the year. That spreads the festivities out and allows a more in depth exposure. Of course we're not couped up 6 months of the year due to extreme Cold either. :lol:

I have never attended one of these, but think they're cool to have nevertheless.

Curtman @ Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:48 pm

[popcorn]

Tamil pavilion:

Korea:

India:

Japan:

Hungary:

bootlegga @ Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:23 pm

Wonderful - here in Edmonton we have Heritage Days (which runs this weekend) and it sounds quite similar to Folklorama.

raydan @ Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:37 pm

Mondial des Cultures de Drummondville... 30 years now.

The financial institution where I worked was a major contributor to this festival. Went to a few shows which was fun... and the Belgiums came to our small town for the day to visit, dinner and a party... and they know how to party.

I know, these people are NOT from Belgium. :lol:

PimpBrewski123 @ Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:23 pm

raydan raydan:
Mondial des Cultures de Drummondville

Drummondville has the poutine festival.

Speaking of Belgium, as long as they bring their beer, then all is good. :lol:

Benn @ Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:24 pm

We take a few in venues in each year. Some time back they used to offer Passports that would grant you one time entrance to each venue but they stopped this and now it can get pricey if you go to a lot of them.

Still a great thing though.

Curtman @ Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:57 am

Benn Benn:
We take a few in venues in each year. Some time back they used to offer Passports that would grant you one time entrance to each venue but they stopped this and now it can get pricey if you go to a lot of them.

Still a great thing though.

Check out the VIP World Tours. For $75 they drive you around to pavilions on a bus, it includes some food and drink. You don't have to coordinate when to be where for what show, they do it for you. They have a singles tour, party tour, etc. Or you can get 12 admissions for the price of 9 for $54. For an extra $20 though, the bus tour is a good deal.

VIP World Tour

We're doing that again this year.

Benn @ Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:21 pm

We got the family pack (12 for $54) today. Bus package sounds great, just don't have the time. Saw Columbia and Celtic Ireland tonight. Colombian was ok,the coffee they were serving was great and I bought some. Ireland was very good, great beer and great show.

Curtman @ Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:09 pm

Had an awesome time at Folklorama this year!

By far my favourite: The Caribbean Pavilion

2Cdo @ Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:12 pm

Actually Curt, most bigger cities have very similar events. Did Folklorama every year when we lived in the "Peg and always had a great time. Amazing food and drink, it's actually where I developed a taste for Indian food. [drool]

Benn @ Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:00 pm

2Cdo 2Cdo:
Actually Curt, most bigger cities have very similar events. Did Folklorama every year when we lived in the "Peg and always had a great time. Amazing food and drink, it's actually where I developed a taste for Indian food. [drool]

Yes but apparently Winnipeg's is the largest and oldest continuously running one. Granted I've only6 heard this from Winnipeg Media. http://www.globalwinnipeg.com/folkloram ... story.html

Cliff from Cheers fact: It also holds the world record for longest conga line lol
http://www.folklorama.ca/index.php?opti ... emid=53#22

Benn @ Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:01 pm

Curtman Curtman:
Had an awesome time at Folklorama this year!

By far my favourite: The Caribbean Pavilion

Missed it this year due to vacation. Went to the Caribbean last year and it was one of the better ones then too.

andyt @ Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:59 pm

sandorski sandorski:
It's a good idea. Here on the Coast we have various Cultural events at various times of the year. That spreads the festivities out and allows a more in depth exposure. Of course we're not couped up 6 months of the year due to extreme Cold either. :lol:

I have never attended one of these, but think they're cool to have nevertheless.

I think this Winnipeg way is the better way to go. Our cultural festivals are just one community doing it's thing in isolation, it's not multicultural at all. The Winnipeg way seems to be more about mixing the cultures.

2Cdo @ Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:23 am

andyt andyt:
sandorski sandorski:

I think this Winnipeg way is the better way to go. Our cultural festivals are just one community doing it's thing in isolation, it's not multicultural at all. The Winnipeg way seems to be more about mixing the cultures.

I agree andy. Having all these groups running over the same week makes for a fantastic time!