Canada Kicks Ass
Canadian air force running short of pilots, jets: watchdog

1  2  Next

BartSimpson @ Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:55 pm

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cana ... NP1WJ?il=0

Excerpt, more at the link!

$1:
Canadian air force running short of pilots, jets: watchdog

OTTAWA (Reuters) - The Canadian air force is increasingly running short of combat-capable fighter jets and pilots and government attempts to address the problem have only made it worse, the nation’s top watchdog said on Tuesday.

The report by Auditor General Michael Ferguson is another blow to a decade-long, trouble-plagued attempt by successive administrations to replace Canada’s CF-18 jets, some of which have been flying for almost 40 years.

“National Defence (defense ministry) has not done enough to manage risks related to Canada’s fighter aircraft fleet ... until a replacement fleet is in place,” said Ferguson.

Defense officials are set to issue final specifications for a new fleet of 88 jets next May. The contract will be worth between C$15 billion ($11.3 billion) and C$19 billion.

Repeated delays mean some CF-18s will have to fly until 2032, much later than expected. Ferguson said the planes had not been significantly upgraded for combat since 2008 - in part because officials thought the new jets would be operating by 2020 - and were therefore increasingly vulnerable.

Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan said in a statement that Ottawa would launch new initiatives to recruit and retain pilots and was also moving to upgrade the CF-18s.

In 2016, at a time when qualified pilots and technicians were leaving in growing numbers, the ruling Liberals ordered the air force to increase the number of fighters available for operations by a quarter.

To help overcome the shortage of planes, the government vowed to buy 18 Boeing Co F-18 Super Hornet jets. Ferguson said it did so even though the defense ministry indicated the move would worsen the personnel shortage by taking pilots away from an already stretched CF-18 fleet.

Ottawa later scrapped the plan after a dispute with Boeing and moved to buy used CF-18s from Australia.

James Bezan, defense spokesman for the opposition Conservatives, accused the government of creating the crisis and urged it not to buy “rusted-out Australian jets.”

BartSimpson @ Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:56 pm

Canada is incrementally disarming itself.

DrCaleb @ Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:24 am

http://www.canadaka.net/link.php?id=107024

llama66 @ Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:25 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

You can't be armed when the invaders arrive; they'll kill us all. /s

Not shocked, leadership believes that the whole world will just get along and there is no need to for a force to defend our borders. As some have pointed out, who would invade us anyway?

I've always thought it better to have a well trained, well equipped military and not need it, rather need a well trained and well equipped military and not have one.

Our decision not to maintain a decent armed service base on the predication that the United States or the UK will rush to our aid must end. We're a grown up nation now.. its time to act like it.

housewife @ Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:03 am

They might have better luck keeping trained personal if they treated like people instead of like shit. Yes hubby got out years ago but they were having the same problem then. They were delaying release dates on trades back then too

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:11 am

What a brilliant plan. Replace our aging fighter fleet with a bunch of used Australian -18s that are just about as old as those we're replacing. Maybe the govt should see if Australia has any used subs that can't be submerged for purchase as well.

llama66 @ Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:18 am

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
Maybe the govt should see if Australia has any used subs that can't be submerged for purchase as well.

This comment is offside. They only have 4 Subs that couldn't submerge. They fixed it. They submerge now. The best part was it only cost $1 billion to fix them.

BartSimpson @ Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:21 am

What a brilliant plan. Replace our aging fighter fleet with a bunch of used Australian -18s that are just about as old as those we're replacing. Maybe the govt should see if Australia has any used subs that can't be submerged for purchase as well.

I keep saying you folks need to buy some of the Brazilian Tucano fighters and use them as coastal and interior patrol craft since your country is effectively getting out of the strategic military business.

No insult intended, but Canada is not interested in keeping up a NATO-competitive military so you may as well embrace committing to a littoral navy and an air force that only has to focus on patrolling the coastal areas and territorial waters.

Better a high quality and inexpensive force than an expensive and inadequate force.

llama66 @ Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:25 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

I keep saying you folks need to buy some of the Brazilian Tucano fighters and use them as coastal and interior patrol craft since your country is effectively getting out of the strategic military business.

No insult intended, but Canada is not interested in keeping up a NATO-competitive military so you may as well embrace committing to a littoral navy and an air force that only has to focus on patrolling the coastal areas and territorial waters.

Better a high quality and inexpensive force than an expensive and inadequate force.

Naw... I'd rather us go with a ME-262. Although I laughed pretty good at the Tucano Fighter. Very 1944. Besides, you'll help us when we get in trouble. We're you smaller more liberal brother.

BartSimpson @ Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:56 am

The Tucano is a pretty decent platform and you can hang all sorts of ordnance from the hard points.

But yeah, go buy a bunch of castoffs from Oz and then watch them rot when your government still won't spend the money for spare parts, pilots, or groundcrews.

Seriously, buying the '18s from Oz does nothing to rectify the manpower problem.

bootlegga @ Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:20 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Okay, Chicken Little.

Yes, we're waaaay behind on replacing the CF-18s, AORs, and DDHs, all of which should have been done by the previous government, but you make it sound like Canada isn't buying anything at all.

We've got ships (AOPVs and AORs) currently under construction, have ordered new SAR planes, and are working towards replacing the DDHs and building new frigates in the 2020s. And that doesn't count the equipment the previous government bought (C-17s, C-130s, Chinook helos, Leopard 2 Tanks, etc.).

Of course I'd prefer if we spent more and planned our procurement better, but to say we're disarming is an outright lie.

PluggyRug @ Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:20 am

llama66 llama66:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Naw... I'd rather us go with a ME-262. Although I laughed pretty good at the Tucano Fighter. Very 1944. Besides, you'll help us when we get in trouble. We're you smaller more liberal brother.

The Tucano is one of the best inexpensive platforms around.

BartSimpson @ Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:26 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Okay, Chicken Little.

Yes, we're waaaay behind on replacing the CF-18s, AORs, and DDHs, all of which should have been done by the previous government, but you make it sound like Canada isn't buying anything at all.

We've got ships (AOPVs and AORs) currently under construction, have ordered new SAR planes, and are working towards replacing the DDHs and building new frigates in the 2020s. And that doesn't count the equipment the previous government bought (C-17s, C-130s, Chinook helos, Leopard 2 Tanks, etc.).

Of course I'd prefer if we spent more and planned our procurement better, but to say we're disarming is an outright lie.

I said you're incrementally disarming.

Which is effectively true. If you do not replace equipment and personnel as they need to be then your level of readiness declines.

Period.

And unless that trend is reversed then Canada is indeed incrementally disarming itself.

https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/whats-h ... -spending/

bootlegga @ Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:04 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
bootlegga bootlegga:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Okay, Chicken Little.

I said you're incrementally disarming.

Which is effectively true. If you do not replace equipment and personnel as they need to be then your level of readiness declines.

Period.

Repeating yourself doesn't make it true - we are buying NEW equipment, just not at the rate you or Cheeto would like us to.

Over the past decade we've added capabilities we didn't have before (strategic airlift and Arctic patrol) and strengthened existing capabilities like our armoured units and tactical helicopter units.

And over the next decade, we'll beef up/replace equipment for roles we've long had, like blue water naval operations.

Canada is not disarming at all.

llama66 @ Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:09 pm

Perfect time to switch to a Drone Airforce.

1  2  Next