Canada Kicks Ass
Chatter: Ireland to join NATO?

Previous  1  2  3  Next

Canadian_Mind @ Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:13 am

Hyack Hyack:
Having Ireland as a member of NATO makes a lot more sense to me than some other countries which are already members. North Atlantic Treaty Organization brings to my mind countries which have some sort of sea power, a coastal country not a land locked country nowhere close to any ocean or sea such as Luxembourg, Hungary, Czech Republic and Slovakia to name a few.

If you go by name only, yes. But given the purpose of the alliance, it makes sense to include landlocked nations by the nature of the way a ground war in Europe would play out.

stratos @ Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:29 am

**Mod edit**

martin14 @ Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:50 am

Regina Regina:
Vamp018 Vamp018:
Ireland's Air Corps roundel.
http://www.military.ie/air-corps/

That looks really gay. :lol: :lol:

Hyack Hyack:
Having Ireland as a member of NATO makes a lot more sense to me than some other countries which are already members. North Atlantic Treaty Organization brings to my mind countries which have some sort of sea power, a coastal country not a land locked country nowhere close to any ocean or sea such as Luxembourg, Hungary, Czech Republic and Slovakia to name a few.

It was to expand NATO's land base for operations against Russia, to convert the
Warsaw Pact space to NATO space,

and most importantly it was a stepping stone for those countries to join the EU.

Regina @ Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:37 am

martin14 martin14:

That looks really gay. :lol: :lol:

I agree..........the orange in there has historical significance but doesn't belong at all. The Ying and Yang swirl thing gets a bit lame too.

pineywoodslim @ Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:41 am

Nato is an alliance in search of a purpose--actually, I suspect its purpose is to maintain US military dominance over Europe. It should've been dissolved years ago. I can't imagine Ireland joining this bloated bureaucracy.

My grandparents immigrated to Chicago from Ireland a century ago. When my father served in WW2, his mom, my grandmother, I heard stories that she constantly griped about my dad "fighting the King's war". Though I haven't been to Ireland in a good 20 yrs., the idea of joining Nato then was anathema, primarily over concerns of 1) international military entanglements and 2) being in a military alliance with the UK. Whether that's changed or not, I have no idea, but the whole idea of a united Europe as manifested in the EU is crumbling a bit and I suspect that may be the case for Nato as well--at least in the western European nations.

If Ireland could manage being neutral in WW2, I can't see it joining Nato today.

BartSimpson @ Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:41 am

Concur. It's distinctly 'not Irish' in its appearance.

BartSimpson @ Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:43 am

pineywoodslim pineywoodslim:
Nato is an alliance in search of a purpose--actually, I suspect its purpose is to maintain US military dominance over Europe. It should've been dissolved years ago.

Right, that way the Russians could retake Eastern Europe without the pesky Americans and etc. getting in their way. :roll:

stratos @ Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:46 am

Clicked the link a lot of the pics wont come up. Could someone post it for me please.

Tricks @ Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:05 pm

If Ireland could manage being neutral in WW2,

Not exactly something to be proud of I'd say.

Jabberwalker @ Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:52 pm

Regina Regina:
Vamp018 Vamp018:
Ireland's Air Corps roundel.
http://www.military.ie/air-corps/

That's the famous Gaelic Yin-Yang.

Jabberwalker @ Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:53 pm

Tricks Tricks:

Wasn't the USA one of those until some else declared war on them?

Tricks @ Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:10 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
Tricks Tricks:

Yes.

Vamp018 @ Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:32 pm

Tricks Tricks:

Lessons of Spanish-American War, WW1 and WW2.

Jabberwalker @ Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:57 pm

I wonder what Ireland's excuse is?

martin14 @ Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:12 pm

I wonder what Ireland's excuse is?

Being bitter about 1000 years of British rule, and secretly wanting the Brits to fail.

There are a couple of plots with the IRA trying to get German help during the war.

Previous  1  2  3  Next